Hi all, take it easy on me, it's my first post.

I've recently bought an RG1570 with a paf Joe neck and mo Joe bridge. It's my first humbucker guitar and I'm finding that on long single notes it goes into decay whereas my telecaster just rings on 'till it fades out.

I'm wondering what would be a nice single coil for the middle for solos. I want deep and warm with plenty sustain.

Roy.
Those tonal platitudes mean different things to different people. This sort of thread will just end up with "get the pickups I have" and "get the pickups I have".

Since you already have a middle single coil, a replacement with similar output will not sound that much different.

The best demos will be from the pickup manufacturer, so go listen as they often feature the same amp and guitar---aside from that, it will probably sound nothing like the demo when you get it installed and out through your own speakers.

The reality is that you will not be getting seconds longer sustain with a different pickup unless the one you have in there currently, is damaged.

And this is all assuming you are talking about the middle pickup only, which you did not specify, you only said that:

"It's my first humbucker guitar and I'm finding that on long single notes it goes into decay whereas my telecaster just rings on 'till it fades out."

The difference in sustain should not be that obvious. If you are talking about certain spots on the neck, it is probably a construction issue.
it might be the floyd affecting the sustain. which bridge does yours have? you can get aftermarket brass sustain blocks which might help a little (i don't think the edge etc., good as they are, had brass sustain blocks).

what do you use the single coil for? do you want it to match the full humbucker tone, or the humbucker when split in positions 2+4?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are a lot of factors that affect sustain, but pickup winds are low on the list. I've got some guitars that are stellar in that regard, but I've had the frets superglued and PLEK'd, there's an oversize solid brass sustain block on the trem (check FU-TONE.com), the pickups are moved a bit *away* from the strings (too close will reduce sustain because the magnetic flux will tend to stop string vibration) and the guitars have big, solid, dense woods in the body and neck.
Quote by snurdf
Hi all, take it easy on me, it's my first post.

I've recently bought an RG1570 with a paf Joe neck and mo Joe bridge. It's my first humbucker guitar and I'm finding that on long single notes it goes into decay whereas my telecaster just rings on 'till it fades out.

I'm wondering what would be a nice single coil for the middle for solos. I want deep and warm with plenty sustain.

Roy.

Your guitar probably just doesn't have as good of sustain as your tele. check the decay unplugged on both. I doubt a pickup change is going to help.
Thanks for the replies. I was assuming that the humbuckers were naturally more distorted than the single coils ( I don't really know what I'm talking about) I'm just guessing.

Long notes on the tele just fade out to nothing whereas long notes on the RG go into decay as they peater out. I hope this makes sense. The single coil middle pickup is the original and it sounds rather flat compared to the others so I don't use it.

Roy.
Quote by dspellman
There are a lot of factors that affect sustain, but pickup winds are low on the list.

That's what I'd have thought.

Quote by snurdf
Thanks for the replies. I was assuming that the humbuckers were naturally more distorted than the single coils ( I don't really know what I'm talking about) I'm just guessing.

They probably are but I'm not sure that'd adversely affect the sustain. Either the RG has less sustain than your tele (probably) or you just don't like its pickups (also a possibility, but I'm not sure that'd affect the sustain that much, but I could be wrong).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?