Hey guys I have a silverburst RRtmg made in Indonesia, selling it cause I just bought a RR24 yellow and black! Aside from this news though, has anyone else noticed how much better the Japan import shit was compared in quality? Frankly I have a 96 Jackson Performer MIJ that schooled the RRTMG as far as feel and tone for me. My ltd Roope 600 did as well. I know its not supposed to be USA or Custom quality, but is it just me or is it hard to find a really good import Jackson after the Japan factory went down. Maybe its just me being used to my Charvel model 2 and Performer, but has anyone else noticed? Opinions? Experiences? Oh, and btw I dig the RRTMG not a bad guitar at all just isn't as good as the RR24 IMO, which is why I'm selling basically for an upgrade, so hopefully this things sells for at least 600 mint, so the RR24 will only cost 200 bucks out of pocket.......Deal IMO
It is very hard to make generalisations of whole factories or product line after trying one or two guitars. With that said, I'm really pleased with my MIJ Jackson RR5 (2010). Very high quality guitar. I am also very impressed by the MIM Charvels and Jacksons in the current catalogue that I've tried. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I wanted a guitar with the features they're offering. Haven't had a chance to try those made in Asia (neckthroughs) so I can't comment on them.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I agree I've tried and owned dozens of Japan made Jacksons and charvels, but this Indo Neck through is a first for me. I've heard good things about the MIM Charvels . And yea the RR5 RR4 and RR3 series were awesome.
i haven't tried the newer ones but I know I (and a lot of others) was a bit annoyed when the japanese factory shut. Was worried this might happen.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You must not have tried a Jackson made in India. Those are dreadful.
I also used to have a Charvel MIJ, but 22 frets and bolt-on wasn't that hot.
Can you tell us a little bit more about what's wrong with your Indonesian Rhoads? I ask because I'm currently considering whether to get a NOS Japanese Jackson (bolt-on) or a fresh new Indonesian one.
I have 5 Japanese Jacksons: DKMG, DKMGT, DXMG, RR3, and a 93 King V Standard Professional series, all top notch build quality, fit and finish, ,playability etc.

Tried an India King V at a store it looked great but had a horrible set up and the licensed Floyd was out of whack I managed to get it tuned but the action was high and I just gave up. It might have been OK with a set up.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Guitar companies generally go to Japan because they want to build fine instruments. They go to Indonesia to make cheap instruments. Could the Indonesians make guitars on par with the Japanese? At this point, probably. But the guitar companies don’t pay for that—they send Indonesia cheap parts and tight budgets. That’s just the way it is. And what Indonesia and Vietnam are now, South Korea and Japan used to be.
My 27 year old, import Charvel Model 2 blows modern Jacksons and Charvels away easily. I haven't been impressed by a modern Jackson unless it came out of the either the custom shop or the select USA series.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I haven't tried any of the newer Pro Series because not a single store near me stocks them, but lots of people are complaining about how they're just not as good as the older MIJ's. Real shame because it was the old MIJ Pro series that got me into Jacksons in the first place. After playing 20 different Pro series guitars in varying stores and they all played consistently well, I fell in love with the brand.

While it certainly wasn't Fender's fault that the factory shut, as the Fukushima floods destroyed the factory, but it really makes me sad to hear the news of how the quality control has gone downhill.

I'm sure that they make the occasional example that play and sound really good though. But if the guitars really are consistently worse than the older MIJ's then that's just sad.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 14, 2015,
I don't think it was the floods that destroyed Chushin Gakki. It wasn't situated in that area as far as I know. I read that the profits were running too low effectively forcing them out of business. It was kind of FMIC's fault as they didn't want to increase the prices of the Pro line to make it sustainable.

Really? I hear rumours absolutely everywhere that the floods are why it was shut.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
That's what I read on jcfonline. I believe I read a statement by the owner, but I can't access the page now for some reason. And if the floods you are referring to is the tsunami in March of 2011, the timescale is all wrong since the factory closed early 2012.

Last edited by HomerSGR at Jan 14, 2015,
Initially US companies went to Japan for "cheap" guitars to be able to compete with Asian copies of US guitars. Perhaps no one expected that they would turn out so good. Is there a US company today that makes guitars in Japan? Japanese companies making guitars in Japan is just equivalent of US companies making guitars in the US. Presumably they're all made in-house instead of purchased from some other company.

Can anyone point to what's specifically wrong with an Indonesian Pro-Series Jackson? Or for that matter what's so great about the Japanese Jacksons? The specs are similar with the difference that now it's all neck-through, the Japanese had licensed FRs and now you get a higher-level FR-2000, and now the pickups are all direct-mount, all of these should be improvements, no?
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jan 14, 2015,
As I said, I haven't tried the non-MIJ import Jacksons, but the floyd should be an improvement (though the higher-end, neck-thru MIJ Jacksons also had the FRT-x000 trems), however, the other two things are debatable if they're an improvement or not. And they ignore the big thing, which is how well the entire guitar is made.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The MIJ jacksons/Charvel's are deff better overall guitars than the new MIM/MIC Jackson/Charvel's. The MIM are decent, but I'm not a big supporter of MIC guitars at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, I own a RR24, a Korean made LTD and a now a 08 RR5 I just bought for a pretty good price.

When I got my hands on the RR5 again after years of not playing one I was instantly blown away by the superior quality of this instrument, the Fretboard is done incredibly well, its very fast, the inlays are beautiful and clean and all the mechanics work so extremely reliable, same goes for my RR24, I never have to re tune it, doesn't matter how much I push the original Floyd to its max, not to mention the overall superior playability of this guitar.
My MiK LTD is pretty fine too but still not as well and clean done as the Jacksons are.

I actually read some bad reviews about newer models, especially the cheaper ones seem to have real quality issues.

Well you gotta compare prices, RR5 and RR24 had a MSRP of 2200$, the new Pros have one of 1200$ and here in Europe they are sold about 500€ cheaper (around 800&euro than the old Pros (~1200-1300 depending on store). So somewhere they gotta save the money.

While the old Pros were pretty much high range and as close as you could get to a USA one with a slightly lower price. The newer ones just seem to be more lower mid range.

I am glad that I got my RR5, it was cheaper and its probably way better than a new Pro,
When I'll buy my next Jackson it will definitely be a USA one, would wait out the MiI Series.
Its not a bad guitar at all, but in response to whats the difference/wrong with it it's that well....It has EMGS like my performer and the rr24 and just sounds thinner/weaker.....Basically just less tone I feel like its just less quallity wood. Just feels cheaper less sustain. Not a bad playing axe but the retail at far more than they should.
When Jackson/Charvel began to have their instruments manufactured by Chushin Gakki they sent American luthiers to Japan to train them to build and instill quality standards, then when the Jackson Pro (not professional) series reached build quality that were meeting and in some cases exceeding the US production line guitars the series was discontinued.

Chushin Gakki continued to churn out quality instruments though even after the Pro series was terminated, many scoffed at the MIJ imports in the early late 80's early 90's but they were infinitely more affordable than the US models and now are considered to be of great quality by most.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge