I have a Fender Squier Affinity Strat. It has the hum noise that strats often have. I have heard that solid-state amps make this less noticeable. I'm playing through a Fender Mustang III. These amps are known for the infamous "fizz", however I know the noise can be reduced.

My noise gate on the amp is maximum. However, on louder volumes with a bit of gain, I get an obnoxiously loud hum. I know there are ways around this.

I have considered installing a humbucker (converting from SSS to HSS). I play classic rock, mostly medium to hard rock (Cheap Trick, Pearl Jam, The Who, etc.) and some metal with occasional cleans. How noticeable is the difference of a Fat Strat (HSS) to a normal Strat (SSS)? How much would it reduce the hum?

Or, I have been researching "shielding" my guitar, however this can be difficult.

Which one would be cheaper, easiest, or most beneficial for my playing?
Last edited by CostlyTrick at Jan 13, 2015,
Only the bridge pickup will yield a difference in hum, if it's the guitar that's causing it. In other words, only position 1 will have reduced hum.
If you're talking about doing a pickup swap, there are lots of noiseless singlecoil pickups out there, but most don't sound exactly like traditional Fender singlecoils, and they can get expensive.

My personal no-brainer option in this area are Lace Alumitones. Due to a completely unique design, they're utterly noiseless. They are clean as hell, and can develop a decent twang. Again, they're not going to perfectly nail a typical Strat tone...but you can get close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUuZAT3FvVo&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!