Page 1 of 5
as i previously established in a seminal work on human trash posted on this very site, climate change deniers are indeed human trash. but the vast majority of us were on board, so i think we should talk about what changes we should make, as a society, to curb our imminent doom.

this doesn't have to be a super serious thing, bring your hearsay. i'm just curious what you all figure is the way forward.

if you are a climate change denier (read: landfill leachate) feel free to not post ok
We should stop eating meat but I'm not going to because I love meat
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
i think we should install a bunch of air conditioners (particularly in africa) to help cool the planet down

there are a lot of cows that are making poop that is not good for the environment, so I will vow to eat more cow so there will be less cows to poop
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
take all the climate change deniers and all the carbon and put it on a rocket and fire it into the sun.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
take all the climate change deniers and all the carbon and put it on a rocket and fire it into the sun.
What if it tips over and burns up?
We must recognize that climate is changing because it realizes that it needs to change. We must determine the motives change has behind it's identity crisis and learn to help them through their transition into adulthood.

Humans are an immature hobby. Volcanoes for centuries is obviously the answer.
In all seriousness I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it.

So I suggest people be decent people and recycle and throw away their trash and turn off their lights regardless.
Like half the population has to die. Something catastrophic will probably kill a whole bunch of people anyway, so actually we don't need to do anything. And the 'current' we will be dead by the time any of this happens anyway.
Quote by seanlang01
What if it tips over and burns up?

we could use the deniers as biofuel to power the rocket of carbon so that would cut the freight significantly.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by bradulator
In all seriousness I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it.

So I suggest people be decent people and recycle and throw away their trash and turn off their lights regardless.

This. Also:

1. Dont waste water
2.DENY plastic bags when you go to a gas station

I may be a 'conserve'atard that is anti-EPA, but I caress the environment much more gingerly and carefully than the majority of you left nutters
really though, i'm going with: keep bailing to a new planet until we got terraforming/climate science down to something we can do super easy, super quick.

may have to live in underground mars/moon cities for a while and like most of the population on earth will prob die out in a lot countries, but we're prob due for a cull anyway.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Climate change will improve the weather where I live, so I will go start my car and just let it run all night.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by StewieSwan
Climate change will improve the weather where I live, so I will go start my car and just let it run all night.

It was 85 degrees F today. Global warming is already here, and you will have all Floridians dead by summer. I already know that's something you dont want on your conscience.
Set our sights upon the stars my friends.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Like half the population has to die. Something catastrophic will probably kill a whole bunch of people anyway, so actually we don't need to do anything. And the 'current' we will be dead by the time any of this happens anyway.

I do not agree that half the population has to die. A large population decrease (not 'lol just hope a bunch of people get killed') would help but that's not the real issue here. If current trends become more universal, populations will age as they become more developed. But the number of people isn't causing it; it's consumption.

It's really ****ed up how a lot of people want to basically 'hope' that a bunch of- in their minds- 'faceless' people die as a solution to the problem. They never imagine it's them. They imagine catastrophic shit going down on the other side of the planet and assuming that they are safe. They like to pin everything on China and India, think to themselves 'well if a big natural disaster happens over there we can't be too mad because that'll kill a lot of people and that's what we need!', but really it's the 'first-world' (not exclusively just blaming the 'first world'- I don't intend to over simplify this) that's driving that production and consuming the most resources. I'm not accusing you of all of this but it's a recurring thing I notice.

The solution requires huge economic restructuring combined with making our current lifestyles more sustainable. This includes things like more funding towards clean energy and recycling and all that (inb4 'recycling consumes energy you hypocrite' or something similar- we all know) as well as eliminating pointless bs from our lives. Where I live (stupid rich-people land with white-flight idelogoies straight out of the 1970s), 40,000 people live in an area the size of a mid-sized city. There are large winding roads, needless sprawl, tons of hummers and all that shit, and 3/4 of all households have swimming pools- which amount to nothing more than status symbols that cost thousands of dollars a year and wastes loads of water. These are of course the same rich people hoping that something bad happens in China. Whenever there's an earthquake in China and the news shows people getting rescued, my dad literally yells at the TV going '**** the Chinese government! Just let them die cause that's what the world needs!'. I also literally got yelled at for taking the bus the other day because only 'pathetic' people do that so like igaf. This type of hypocrisy on a collective level needs to die though. I've been trying to get the pool drained for a while but nope, we need to 'preserve our way of life'.

The truth is that there is no easy solution to our environmental problems, and some damage has already been proven to be irreversible. That is why I lead into smaller more everyday things though. Even if all we're doing is recycling, turning the lights off, saving water, not living stupidly wasteful lifestyles, etc. that's better than just throwing our hands up and saying 'well half the world needs to die'. I'll admit I'm not perfect since I sometimes take showers that are needlessly long. That is something I could change (I did for a while but went back to my old ways).

I don't eat meat.
Quote by Fat Lard
Global warming is already here, and you will have all Floridians dead by summer

Oh shit. If that's the case, I will make sure everyone I know runs their cars all night.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by slipknot5678
I do not agree that half the population has to die. A large population decrease (not 'lol just hope a bunch of people get killed') would help but that's not the real issue here. If current trends become more universal, populations will age as they become more developed. But the number of people isn't causing it; it's consumption.

It's really ****ed up how a lot of people want to basically 'hope' that a bunch of- in their minds- 'faceless' people die as a solution to the problem. They never imagine it's them. They imagine catastrophic shit going down on the other side of the planet and assuming that they are safe. They like to pin everything on China and India, think to themselves 'well if a big natural disaster happens over there we can't be too mad because that'll kill a lot of people and that's what we need!', but really it's the 'first-world' (not exclusively just blaming the 'first world'- I don't intend to over simplify this) that's driving that production and consuming the most resources. I'm not accusing you of all of this but it's a recurring thing I notice.

The solution requires huge economic restructuring combined with making our current lifestyles more sustainable. This includes things like more funding towards clean energy and recycling and all that (inb4 'recycling consumes energy you hypocrite' or something similar- we all know) as well as eliminating pointless bs from our lives. Where I live (stupid rich-people land with white-flight idelogoies straight out of the 1970s), 40,000 people live in an area the size of a mid-sized city. There are large winding roads, needless sprawl, tons of hummers and all that shit, and 3/4 of all households have swimming pools- which amount to nothing more than status symbols that cost thousands of dollars a year and wastes loads of water. These are of course the same rich people hoping that something bad happens in China. Whenever there's an earthquake in China and the news shows people getting rescued, my dad literally yells at the TV going '**** the Chinese government! Just let them die cause that's what the world needs!'. I also literally got yelled at for taking the bus the other day because only 'pathetic' people do that so like igaf. This type of hypocrisy on a collective level needs to die though. I've been trying to get the pool drained for a while but nope, we need to 'preserve our way of life'.

The truth is that there is no easy solution to our environmental problems, and some damage has already been proven to be irreversible. That is why I lead into smaller more everyday things though. Even if all we're doing is recycling, turning the lights off, saving water, not living stupidly wasteful lifestyles, etc. that's better than just throwing our hands up and saying 'well half the world needs to die'. I'll admit I'm not perfect since I sometimes take showers that are needlessly long. That is something I could change (I did for a while but went back to my old ways).

I don't eat meat.

A) I'm well aware of who is using the most resources. About 7% of the population, mostly in developed countries, causes 50% of the CO2 emissions. That means you and me assuming you're American or euro or whatever.

B) As a species we are using 1.5 earth equivalents, when there is only 1 planet earth. Population growth and resource growth are both above zero percent, meaning the ship is currently sinking, and the rate at which it's sinking is increasing. Recycling, and turning the lights off is a half measure that simply will not change the fact that we are marching to our own deaths. Please note, I'm not advocating sinking the ship faster.

C) The carrying capacity of Earth was once about only 1-2 billion, because it was not possible to generate fertilizer for plants. Fritz Haber came along and found a way to inexpensively synthesize ammonia and whabam, crisis averted. I'm extremely skeptical god will send a Fritz Haber every time humanity stupidly drives itself towards annihilation. But if you want a sliver of hope, there's that.

D) I don't eat meat either, big deal.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/consumption_dwarfs_population_as_main_environmental_threat/2140/

http://www.foe.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/overconsumption.pdf
Last edited by beadhangingOne at Jan 14, 2015,
given your hopes of mass annihilation, it's interesting that you'd bring up haber.
I care about tigers going extinct more than climate change (though they have some overlapping causes) so I am going to limit my use of palm oil products
cat
Quote by beadhangingOne
A) I'm well aware of who is using the most resources. About 7% of the population, mostly in developed countries, uses 50% of the resources. That means you and me assuming you're American or euro or whatever.

B) As a species we are using 1.5 earth equivalents, when there is only 1 planet earth. Population growth and resource growth are both above zero percent, meaning the ship is currently sinking, and the rate at which it's sinking is increasing. Recycling, and turning the lights off is a half measure that simply will not change the fact that we are marching to our own deaths.

C) The carrying capacity of Earth was once about only 1-2 billion, because it was not possible to generate fertilizer for plants. Fritz Haber came along and found a way to inexpensively synthesize ammonia and whabam, crisis averted. I'm extremely skeptical god will send a Fritz Haber every time humanity stupidly drives itself towards annihilation. But if you want a sliver of hope, there's that.

D) I don't eat meat either, big deal.

A) Yes I was not addressing you individually with much of that. And yes I know that includes me.

B) All true. The point I was trying to make (connected with first-world population trends that still consume the most resources) was that our current lifestyles need to change. This gets so much more complex than we can just sum up here. The reason the ship is sinking at a faster rate is because the rapid-expansion and rising living standards of the 'second world', the rapid-industrialisation of most of the world by this point, the 'great urbanisation', etc. In the next few decades, as these trends become established, the rate will become slower, the ageing population will begin to die off (without war or natural disasters or any of that. Likely a temporary-though prolonged- economic catastrophe but nothing we can't deal with especially with robots stealing jobs #13yearoldpolitics). In order for the rate to actually decrease though we need for us with the higher living standards to stop being as wasteful. The dynamic of global wealth is rapidly changing and I'd argue it's mostly good- or at least has the potential to be mostly good- even with the huge negative impacts of rising inequality. Once more countries become 'first world'- thus consuming similar levels of resources- it's going to be an even more massive problem. Which is why clean energy and all that- and even the smaller daily life things are at least setting precedent for further changes that will need to have come into effect by that point. Turning the lights off might do **** all now but it sets precedent for the real changes later- and at least it's not making it worse. Instead though people would rather result to the status quo, want to prefer our current economic setup, and have this rivalry with everyone else/'we need all these people to die' so we can live our current wasteful life.

C) Nothing to add here.

D) That was for eastwinn.

Edit: I'm reading these articles and yes, these are serious problems.

btw I acknowledge that it's going to get worse before it gets better and that there's already going to be serious consequences no matter what we do by this point.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jan 14, 2015,
the way i look at it is this

think of the classic psych experiment where they give a kid a marshmallow and tell them if they hold off on eating it they'll give them a second marshmallow

most kids eat that marshmallow

it's not that they misunderstand the benefits it's that the understanding doesn't feed back to influence their action

although they understand the concept of two marshmallows the idea is too abstract for them to act upon, they only act upon what they can sense

those kids are all grown up now but we're not talking about a second marshmallow in a couple minutes, we're talking about likely fallouts from climate change in a couple decades

shit, they might as well still be those little kids with the marshmallows

the moral here isn't that it doesn't pay to plan, rather we should account for the shortcomings present in the majority of the population in our plans addressing climate change

my sense is that we are better off trying to plan for a future where climate change has gotten bad enough that it affects peoples' daily lives, only at that point will they respond.

either that or someone's got to take out the trash
Quote by Eastwinn
given your hopes of mass annihilation, it's interesting that you'd bring up haber.

Slayer Not Prayer ! \M/

We need to stop procreating so much. Probably have a limit of like 1 or 2 children per family. But adoptions are hugely encouraged! Population is a separate issue to climate change entirely but it will be killing two birds with one stone if we control it.

I'm not nearly educated enough about climate change to give any real suggestions. But one I can give is that we ****ing listen and accept that it's happening and actually educate people properly on how ****ing serious it is.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by guitarxo
I care about tigers going extinct more than climate change (though they have some overlapping causes) so I am going to limit my use of palm oil products

I may have been a bit harsh on tigers in the past. I just want to go on the record and say that they are very cool animals and in my book second only to bears, though I accept that your views on this might be different.

Thank you for your time.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Quote by Eastwinn
as i previously established in a seminal work on human trash posted on this very site, climate change deniers are indeed human trash. but the vast majority of us were on board, so i think we should talk about what changes we should make, as a society, to curb our imminent doom.

this doesn't have to be a super serious thing, bring your hearsay. i'm just curious what you all figure is the way forward.

if you are a climate change denier (read: landfill leachate) feel free to not post ok

Can you stop calling people human trash in your annoying pretending to be cutesy passive aggressive manner. It's cringey as all **** and climate change, whilst a lot of research supports it, can also be disputed by similar scientific papers. So yeah stop, it makes you look really close minded.

In regards to the topic: continue scientific research into a variety of new technologies - this includes stuff like tokamaks and ITER working towards sustainable nuclear fusion, as well as looking to hydrogen generation via enzymatic or biotech. There's also stuff like carbon capture which could be good in the future.

In the medium term we should invest in nuclear power to stop our dependence on fossil fuels for electricity. Battery technology for cars so we can stop using petrol to drive places would be proper good too.

Short term you can do simple stuff like turn off electrical appliances and lights when you don't need them, commute to work using a bike or bus instead of a car when you can.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by eGraham
We should stop eating meat but I'm not going to because I love meat

You may have a right to live that way, but I also have the right not to hear that shit.

Also I'm pretty sure we should start dumping our garbage out in space in a giant ball. Better yet, dump it on Mars. That bitch has been getting too uppity since it learned that Earthlings might consider living on it.
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Jan 14, 2015,
Dump a giant ice cube in the Atlantic Ocean like that one time on futurama.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by ultimate-slash
I may have been a bit harsh on tigers in the past. I just want to go on the record and say that they are very cool animals and in my book second only to bears, though I accept that your views on this might be different.

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for your statement, I do indeed have different views but i would like you to know that I also think bears are very cool animals and they do not deserve to become extinct either.
cat
Quote by Fat Lard

2.DENY plastic bags when you go to a gas station

Have you ever tried carrying your gas in paper bags? Yeah, no thanks
Quote by guitarxo
Thank you for your statement, I do indeed have different views but i would like you to know that I also think bears are very cool animals and they do not deserve to become extinct either.

The bears and I appreciate your comments on this matter.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Quote by StewieSwan
Oh shit. If that's the case, I will make sure everyone I know runs their cars all night.

Quote by Wormholes
Have you ever tried carrying your gas in paper bags? Yeah, no thanks

oh and ban plastic bags. why are plastic grocery bags still a thing thank god my state is banning them
banned
Page 1 of 5