Hi,im new to these forums and ive been playing guitar for about 6 years now,
Im currently using an esp EX 351D guitar, with a line 6 Spider II 112 75 watt amp.
Is it possible for me to get a parkway drive sound with this, i could purchase a couple of pedals to help get the sound going but what would be the closest thing i could get to the sound and how do i make it?
Any replies are appreciated, Cheers!
Longer answer: A bit of Googling told me this: the guys in Parkway Drive use Peavey 6505 heads going into Mesa cabs boosted with Maxon 808 overdrive pedals. Also, their guitars probably use active EMGs, not the passives that come stock in your guitar. So until you can get a rig just like theirs you won't be able to get an exact tone. However, you might be able to get a close tone with your Line 6, just search for 'Line 6 metalcore settings' or something like that and tweak your amp until it sounds close.

But the real answer here is you need a new amp.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
Longer answer: A bit of Googling told me this: the guys in Parkway Drive use Peavey 6505 heads going into Mesa cabs boosted with Maxon 808 overdrive pedals. Also, their guitars probably use active EMGs, not the passives that come stock in your guitar. So until you can get a rig just like theirs you won't be able to get an exact tone. However, you might be able to get a close tone with your Line 6, just search for 'Line 6 metalcore settings' or something like that and tweak your amp until it sounds close.

But the real answer here is you need a new amp.

Thanks, aw i dont want to have to spend money on a new amp xD
What kind of EMGs would i go for if i were to buy them?
Sometimes you can change tone using pedals and pickups (E.G a reasonable clean amp being turned into a gainy amp with GOOD pedals)
But sadly in your case, your amp is a pile of s***, sorry.

While some upgrades may slightly help, you'd end up spending double a new amp before you even get anywhere near to the right sort of tone.
WYRNNA (What You Really Need is a New Amp)

Sorry man, you can get by with shit pickups, hell, even no pedals, but PkwyDr. tone is 6505+. It's the only amp that gets that sound as well as it does.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Man- if you cant afford a new amp right now, dont rush it. I have a Spider also (it was my first practice amp). Now I have a few tube amp heads geared towards metal. Yea, the spider line isnt great. BUT depending on how long youve been playing, you may not realize that a big part of a band's guitar sound just comes from being in a dense mix working together with heavy bass guitar and aggressive drums. If you were to isolate ONE guitar from a metalcore mix like Parkway Drive or whoever, you would probably be somewhat unimpressed with how it sounds. And likewise, if you were to insert multiple layers of a Spider into a mix, you would probably be shocked at how heavy it sounds.

I think Ola England did a mix with a Spider on youtube and it was pretty good. My suggestion to you is realize what your budget is, and once it is high enough buy an amp that is meant for the music you are interested in. The last thing you want to do is waste money on junk.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by mtshark
Longer answer: A bit of Googling told me this: the guys in Parkway Drive use Peavey 6505 heads going into Mesa cabs boosted with Maxon 808 overdrive pedals. Also, their guitars use active EMGs

Yeah this what they've used live at hometown shows. I'm pretty certain they've talked about the other amps they've used in the studio too.

But basically what everyone is in this thread is saying. Save your money towards a high gain tube amp because it's going to make the largest difference. You could probably find a used Peavey 6505 combo cheapish too.

Edit: Just realized they were actually using 5150's at the show (Horizons/ Deep Blue era). Not sure if there's a massive difference as I've only played the 6505.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Last edited by 1570-Shred at Jan 14, 2015,
Just want to agree with everyone here. A rule of thumb for OP - the vast majority of your tone will always be determined by your amp (and slightly less by your guitar). Do not throw money away on pedals and pickups until you are happy with your basic tone created by plugging your guitar straight into your amp. After that you can add color and make tweaks my swapping out your pickups or trying different pedals.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by 1570-Shred

Edit: Just realized they were actually using 5150's at the show (Horizons/ Deep Blue era). Not sure if there's a massive difference as I've only played the 6505.

Same thing.

5150 is from '92 to 2004, 6505 is from 2005 on.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Don't bother trying to copy another band's tone - make your own!

I suggest a 60's Fender Champ with a Boss Metalzone. I hear it sounds like a Diezel Herbert
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You can fiddle with the insane settings but don't expect nothing realy good to come out of there.

Basicaly, on any amp, if you want to work on your tone, start by this:
-Set a "flat EQ: all High, Mids and low at 12 'oClock

-Disable all effect and get a "dry" tone, with nothing else but the amp

-for modding amp, set it to the desiered bassic tone.

For this type of sound, you want high gain amp, you have the choice of Metal or Insane. Metal is supposed to be moded after the Mesa Dual Rec, this one will sound more like metal and I don't know about the insance, you should play around with those two

-Set the gain/drive to the desired level. Don't just put it to 11, go there and experience. All to the max isn't the way to go

-Once the basic tone is setted up, correct the levels of the Eq. Add or substract what you want.

Now, don't forget it's an entry level amp, just like you won't be able to run a hyundai Accents like you would and Porches GT. It just won't happend.

If you're serious on the tone, Parkway Drive uses the "classic metalcore combo":
-6505/5150
-Maxon OD / Ibanez Tube Screamer
-Some sort of noise gate, the ISP decimator is the best in this market
-412 cab with V30's
-EMG's 81/61 pickups