I don't have a HRD, nor do I want to drive out to a Guitar Center just to crank a 40w amp on their showroom floor and buy nothing. Where online can I actually find samples of this infamous sound? I feel like google/youtube has failed my for searching for a High Quality recording of this sound that nobody's impressed with.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Probably because no one wants to bother embarrassing themselves by sounding like shit.
Its got a great clean channel, but any Hot Rod XXX model has a shit dirt channel.

I've got a friend that has 2 Hot Rod Deville's and he uses pedals to get his dirt.
Keep in mind, this is a guy thats so good, he could make an MG or a Line 6 Spider sound good, and even he won't bother trying to get a good sound out of an HRD's drive channel.
I own a HRD. The drive channel really is that bad. I hear the newer ones are better, but...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 14, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
Probably because no one wants to bother embarrassing themselves by sounding like shit.
Its got a great clean channel, but any Hot Rod XXX model has a shit dirt channel.

I've got a friend that has 2 Hot Rod Deville's and he uses pedals to get his dirt.
Keep in mind, this is a guy thats so good, he could make an MG or a Line 6 Spider sound good, and even he won't bother trying to get a good sound out of an HRD's drive channel.

I mean, everyone says that it sounds like shit, and everyone's got a friend that won't even try, blah blah blah. But, I mean this doesn't sound anywhere close to the worst drive channel I've ever heard.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The only thing you can really do then is try one for yourself.

And...IMO, any amp/pedal/whatever that is dirt related on youtube can't be trusted 100%.
The video/audio is compressed and had whatever processing done to it before you get to listen to it.
Then you hear it through computer speakers.

Again, you are gonna have to try it for yourself.
Would you rather drive to GC and try it out for yourself or just buy one online and maybe be disappointed?
Maybe you won't be disappointed, but I think spending a few hours of driving and not buying something is better than spending a few hundred dollars on something you won't be happy with.
I've used Hot Rod Deluxes at Berklee for the last couple of years - the drive channel is, in fact, that bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the hot rod series is known for a very sub par drive channel. its probably the only fender amp that does. blues juniors are good. i think tehy fall in teh hot rod series. they also make that tweed version.

but then again, its a reason why the hot rod series is the cheapest series.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Here you go. This is the HRD III which has the great cleans and marginal Drive chnl. This guy is a pretty decent player and gets the best out of this amp I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1XIjDBvH_Q
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Agreed.

I have the II, and that III's drive is obviously better...and it still ain't great.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Cajundaddy
Here you go. This is the HRD III which has the great cleans and marginal Drive chnl. This guy is a pretty decent player and gets the best out of this amp I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1XIjDBvH_Q

That's literally the same link that I posted.

Quote by CodeMonk
And...IMO, any amp/pedal/whatever that is dirt related on youtube can't be trusted 100%. The video/audio is compressed and had whatever processing done to it before you get to listen to it. Then you hear it through computer speakers.

That's why I was looking for something that's not youtube or more higher quality than available on that site. I'd also be using my monitor headphones, but, w/e same deal.

Either way, I don't think I'd personally buy a HRD, as popular as it is. I'd rather spend the extra for a 65 or Silverface DRRI, if I were ever to get another Fender Amp. I just wanted to stimulate discussion on a topic that many on this forum hold as true without necessarily having any more reasoning for it than "because it's always been that way."

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
That's literally the same link that I posted.

That's why I was looking for something that's not youtube or more higher quality than available on that site. I'd also be using my monitor headphones, but, w/e same deal.

Either way, I don't think I'd personally buy a HRD, as popular as it is. I'd rather spend the extra for a 65 or Silverface DRRI, if I were ever to get another Fender Amp. I just wanted to stimulate discussion on a topic that many on this forum hold as true without necessarily having any more reasoning for it than "because it's always been that way."

My reasoning for saying that the HRD has a crappy dirt channel is because I played one.
When I lived in Southern California, my friends and I would get together and jam at my house almost every weekend.
My friend with the 2 Hot Rod Devilles kept one of them at my house.
So i played it now and then.
Sometimes in stereo with my amp.
Thats when i decided it had a great clean channel and a bad dirt channel.

I was also comparing it to my AC30, which IMO, had better cleans.
Although better is a matter of opinion in this case.
But an AC30 is a single channel amp and is not for everybody.
I never pay much attention to internet forum mythology. I gigged with a HRD (original) for 5 years and maybe 200 gigs. It is a great amp for what it is. I could sometimes get passable tone out of the drive channel but put a TS9 in front of the clean channel and it was American classic rock heaven. Certainly every bit as good as a DRRI or Silverface reissue if you understand how to get the most out of the tool and it's about 1/2 the price. A true working musicians gig rig.

I sorta get a kick out of people who continuously lament the HRD drive channel. Put a big piece of duct tape over it if it bothers you so much. The clean channel absolutely rocks, the reverb is good and it's plenty loud enough for any club. Turn it up and wail... or cry in your beer because the drive channel is far less interesting. Pffft! This is rock and roll so stop whining already, it's embarrassing!

Protip: You don't have to use every knob on an amplifier to have a very satisfying experience with it night after night.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Hey- I LOVE my HRD. BUT I'm honest about its flaws. I never use the drive channel- pedals on the clean is what I do.

...which is why I'm looking for a second tube combo amp to handle heavier stuff. Probably Orange or Mesa.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hey- I LOVE my HRD. BUT I'm honest about its flaws. I never use the drive channel- pedals on the clean is what I do.

...which is why I'm looking for a second tube combo amp to handle heavier stuff. Probably Orange or Mesa.

Yep, there are no perfect amps. I moved from my HRD to a Mesa in 2009 and while I do like it better, it still has warts. The HRD was very good for me and never let me down. Even Larry Carlton often gigs with one while touring Europe because he doesn't want to lose or damage his Bludotone.

Quote by Cajundaddy
I never pay much attention to internet forum mythology. I gigged with a HRD (original) for 5 years and maybe 200 gigs. It is a great amp for what it is. I could sometimes get passable tone out of the drive channel but put a TS9 in front of the clean channel and it was American classic rock heaven. Certainly every bit as good as a DRRI or Silverface reissue if you understand how to get the most out of the tool and it's about 1/2 the price. A true working musicians gig rig.

I sorta get a kick out of people who continuously lament the HRD drive channel. Put a big piece of duct tape over it if it bothers you so much. The clean channel absolutely rocks, the reverb is good and it's plenty loud enough for any club. Turn it up and wail... or cry in your beer because the drive channel is far less interesting. Pffft! This is rock and roll so stop whining already, it's embarrassing!

Protip: You don't have to use every knob on an amplifier to have a very satisfying experience with it night after night.

The clean channel is good, of that I agree.
Its just that if you want dirt with an HRD, IMO, you are better off running a dirt pedal into it and using the clean channel.

If I was going to buy a Fender amp, it wouldn't be an HRD, it would be a Deluxe Reverb or a Twin Reverb. Or maybe a Blues Jr. Or a Bassman.
Probably a Bassman.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 15, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk

If I was going to buy a Fender amp, it wouldn't be an HRD, it would be a Deluxe Reverb or a Twin Reverb. Or maybe a Blues Jr. Or a Bassman.
Probably a Bassman.

Lots of guys do, but you are paying 2-3x as much for the reissue amp and getting essentially the same tone as a HRD on the clean channel. You still need to use pedals to get good OD tone from the reissues so you don't really solve anything while paying a lot more $$ for the reissue. I'd rather gig with the HRD and have the extra $500-$1000 left over to fill out my pedalboard or buy a nice 2nd axe but... different strokes for different folks. That is why Fender makes lots of different models.

Choose your weapon and play it loud and proud!

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 15, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Lots of guys do, but you are paying 2-3x as much for the reissue amp and getting essentially the same tone as a HRD on the clean channel. You still need to use pedals to get good OD tone from the reissues so you don't really solve anything while paying a lot more $$ for the reissue. I'd rather gig with the HRD and have the extra $500-$1000 left over to fill out my pedalboard or buy a nice 2nd axe but... different strokes for different folks. That is why Fender makes lots of different models.

Choose your weapon and play it loud and proud!

+1 you can pick up some nice od pedals for it and still have cash in your pocket. Klone $250, sparkle drive, zendrive cmattmods signa drive, (off of the top of my head).

i would look into a silverface twin/bassman, etc. better amps, IMO than today (i have 1968 silverface bassman, i love it.

the HRD and the dirty channel are putting a band-aid on a broken leg, you will probably move on at some point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by NakedInTheRain
and this is my story with a lot of gear that i've tried to like.

So many guitar amps, so little time. I've been through about 30 so far looking for the holy grail of guitar tone. I only own 4 these days along with a DME pedal. In hindsight, most of them would have been just fine for any working musician. Somewhere along the way I figured out that the problem wasn't with the amp. The source of the problem was the loose spacer holding up the guitar.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 16, 2015,
I have a 212 Blues Deville which is said to be the same as the Hod Rod version minus the more drive channel. I have tried my best to make the drive channel work with various methods, boosts infront, varying EQ, gain, inputs, pickups and the best I could make it sound was with a jackson with hot humbuckers. Even then it sounded far inferior to my Bad Monkey's gain through the clean channel (which is excellent btw). The rest of the time it sounds really bright and harsh and horrible. The vids of youtube make it sound much better than it is.

I take a lot of review vids should be taken with a pinch of salt. The people doing it tend to just show off their licks and when then do try out different settings they dont play the same riffs so its hard to really get a proper idea what the amp sounds like.