Hi guys,

Need some help can't decide between these guitars. What is your experience, recommendations, or suggestions

ESP LTD EC-1000T or Gibson Les Paul Studio?

Cheers!
Despite that they look somewhat similar and have somewhat similar specs, they're actually two pretty different animals. They have pickups that are differently voiced from one another and they have rather different neck profiles to suit different player's needs. They're both good guitars if you have two good examples of either one, it just depends on what needs you want fulfilling. If you're more of a blues or jazz player, the LP Studio might be more up your street, but if you're a hardcore metal player the EC-1000 is much more suitable.

When it comes to Gibsons, trying the guitars before buying them is essential, as they aren't very consistent from one another. You can get amazing examples, but also really bad ones. Some with neck profiles that fit your hands beautifully and others that don't. Some have fret issues, others don't. So playing the particular example that you're interested in buying is really important. With LTD's, particular examples tend to be more consistent with one another.

What kind of music are you intending to play with these guitars?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 14, 2015,
I had an EC-1000T CTM and traded it for a 2006 LP Studio, white model with an ebony fretboard. I made the trade because I wanted a guitar that was less metal oriented, as I'm not strictly a metal player. I wanted something less jagged looking, and with passive pickups (though the EC is now offered with passives as well).

I don't regret the trade, but I feel like the EC was simply the better made guitar. The craftsmanship was amazing, it held tuning fantastic, and it had a great tone for metal. I also preferred that it was physically heavier, whereas so many recent Les Pauls are chambered. This is a matter of personal taste.

The Studio is not a bad guitar by any means, but I'll put it this way: the Les Paul Studio feels like a dulled-down Les Paul Standard, because that's what it was made to be. The EC feels not too far from a Les Paul CUSTOM, because that's what it was made to be like. Gibson aimed low, LTD aimed high, and both hit their marks.
Quote by Ghostmaker
I had an EC-1000T CTM and traded it for a 2006 LP Studio, white model with an ebony fretboard. I made the trade because I wanted a guitar that was less metal oriented, as I'm not strictly a metal player. I wanted something less jagged looking, and with passive pickups (though the EC is now offered with passives as well).

I don't regret the trade, but I feel like the EC was simply the better made guitar. The craftsmanship was amazing, it held tuning fantastic, and it had a great tone for metal. I also preferred that it was physically heavier, whereas so many recent Les Pauls are chambered. This is a matter of personal taste.

The Studio is not a bad guitar by any means, but I'll put it this way: the Les Paul Studio feels like a dulled-down Les Paul Standard, because that's what it was made to be. The EC feels not too far from a Les Paul CUSTOM, because that's what it was made to be like. Gibson aimed low, LTD aimed high, and both hit their marks.

This guy ^ get an EC. Theyre excellent guitars. I recommend going with the passive pickup model. I got the emg version and it sounds great; but Ive grown more partial to passives lately. Ive found that the seymour duncan passives do a better job getting into the emg higain territory than the emgs do getting into a luscious organic clean / logain sound
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Ghostmaker

The only way this works is if you solely consider looks. Having owned a MIJ ESP Eclipse for the last 5 years, I can tell you it doesn't feel anything like a Gibson, Custom or otherwise. The same goes for the fullthickness Ltd TS is considering. The Studio is much closer to a Gibson Les Paul Custom in feel, regardless of how it looks.

I think it's an interesting comparison. A blinged out MIK Ltd compared to a stripped down, US-made guitar. It's less interesting to me which guitar is "better", and more interesting to hear what importance TS puts into brand-name, country of manufacture and aestethics.

If you'd value having a US made Gibson more than an Asian import, the Gibson is going to inspire you to play more and I think that is my preferred method of judging guitars. Not how well the finish is applied, but rather how inspiring it is to hold in my hands. That doesn't exclude quality, but quality isn't the only thing that affects that.

Regardless of how many horror-stories there are about Gibson, genuine or otherwise, I think the LP Studio is very far from a "crapshot". Even if you'd happen to order it online.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jan 15, 2015,
I think a lot of new models over the past years do not play or sound as good as the older ones do , personally I would not trust Epi or Gibson now when your paying for a name like Gibson you expect at the very lest good quality .
Thank you all for all the posts, a lot of useful information. I had the EC-1000 in my hands, very good quality, nice craftsmanship. I play mainly metal, but also a couple projects kind of blues rock and even folk. What is your experience or opinion with the Gibson SG Standard?
Quote by privatevoid
What is your experience or opinion with the Gibson SG Standard?

They’re nice guitars. But keep in mind that SGs were already prone to neck dive before they added more weight with the robot tuning nonsense. So it’s not a great option if you don’t like your guitar to hang parallel to the floor.

I’d still buy an EC-1000 over the SG. But I have a thing for Korean guitars. Because all three of my Korean instruments are better than my Gibson
The EC-1000 almost plays more like a hot rodded SG than a Les Paul with EMGs IMO. I'd go for it over a studio anyday.

I prefer a brand like Ltd over Gibson because your money is paying for the guitar rather than the name on the headstock. I can guarantee you an EC-1000 will have better build quality than a LP studio also, QC on gibson is all over the place. I've epiphones that play better than some gibson standards. Although I am a bias owner of an Ltd h-1001 and have an unrelenting hate for gibson.
Quote by zach9600
The EC-1000 almost plays more like a hot rodded SG than a Les Paul with EMGs IMO. I'd go for it over a studio anyday.

I prefer a brand like Ltd over Gibson because your money is paying for the guitar rather than the name on the headstock. I can guarantee you an EC-1000 will have better build quality than a LP studio also, QC on gibson is all over the place. I've epiphones that play better than some gibson standards. Although I am a bias owner of an Ltd h-1001 and have an unrelenting hate for gibson.

I'd sure like to try those Epiphones, and the "some" Gibson Standards you're referring to. It's easy to throw out bold statements on the internet, but I'm pretty sure you'd be surprised at how good Gibson can be even at the Studio range. I'm not saying they don't have more quality issues than the Korean-made Ltd Deluxes, because they use nitrocellulose laquer and other outdated stuff more prone to issues, I'm just saying that it isn't that clear cut of a case for the Ltd.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
I'd sure like to try those Epiphones, and the "some" Gibson Standards you're referring to. It's easy to throw out bold statements on the internet, but I'm pretty sure you'd be surprised at how good Gibson can be even at the Studio range. I'm not saying they don't have more quality issues than the Korean-made Ltd Deluxes, because they use nitrocellulose laquer and other outdated stuff more prone to issues, I'm just saying that it isn't that clear cut of a case for the Ltd.

I don't doubt gibson make good guitars, i wasn't saying they don't. Obviously they would have to otherwise they wouldn't be so popular. I was saying more how their QC is all over the place and that they are crazy overpriced.

I will agree everyone has different taste but I just feel like some people buy gibson for the sake of owning a gibson when there are so many other options that can be as good or better for alot less money. IE. Ltd, Agile, Edwards, PRS, Epiphone or even Vintage jap copies

I would personally never shell out for a gibson
Quote by HomerSGR
I'm not saying they don't have more quality issues than the Korean-made Ltd Deluxes, because they use nitrocellulose laquer and other outdated stuff more prone to issues, I'm just saying that it isn't that clear cut of a case for the Ltd.

Materials are not why Gibson has QC issues. Older materials don’t magically make fretboards narrower than necks, leave fret ends unfinished, or botch nuts and frets that are being finished by a robot that’s foolproof when any other company uses it. Gibson has QC issues because it’s a lifestyle brand built around marketing luxury goods rather than a guitar brand built around making good guitars.