I am new to the bass guitar and I am training my ear to hear the bass guitar in metal songs.I can hear the bass guitar in every band,Napalm Death,Obituary,Six feet under,Sepultura etc.,but there is one band which I tried to hear the bass guitar again and again song after song and failed and that band is Slayer.I found some videos on youtube with Slayer songs where only bass is played,but I wonder if someone can give me a song by Slayer with all the instruments in it except for the bass so I can compare it with the original version to see the difference please.Sorry for my poor english.
In slayer songs, the bass lines are almost identical to the rythm guitars.
No
The bass is absolutely central to Slayer's sound - but as mentioned above, it mirrors the guitars alot. use an eq in your media player to cut the highs and crank the lows, or otherwise isolate the bass frequency for a given tune - it might help bring it out a bit. Media Player has a graphic eq - with software such as reaper you can get very surgical with the eq stock plugin - that might help you.
Listen to the rhythm guitar, the bass follows it extremely closely...actually, whatever sounds like a guitar that isn't playing lead is probably Tom, because Kerry is shit.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
Listen to the rhythm guitar, the bass follows it extremely closely...actually, whatever sounds like a guitar that isn't playing lead is probably Tom, because Kerry is shit.

So kerry is the rhythm guitarist of slayer and not the other guy?And do you think that if Tom would not be able to play bass anymore,he would quit Slayer or hire a bass player?
Last edited by razvang482 at Jan 28, 2015,
As with many bands, Slayer's producer(s) buries the bass in the mix, and the bass lines are frequently eighth notes on the root/sixteenth notes on the root; like the rhythm guitar. There are a ton of Slayer tabs on the UG Tab section. Check them out. Some are better than others, but you will find a lot of useful information there. Slayer is very popular with a lot of people who haunt these forums, so much of their stuff has been tabbed out.

You'll nail it. Just stick with it.

Your English is just fine, by the way!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by razvang482
So kerry is the rhythm guitarist of slayer and not the other guy?

They both just play guitar, they both play rhythm and lead as they want. Labelling either of them as "rhythm" or "lead" is misleading and pointless.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.