Hello everyone. I picked up a guitar and I am not really sure what it is. It is a USA Fender Stratocaster though there are so many models I cannot Identify it. The guy didn't really know what it was. He spends a lot of money on equipment though he doesn't play that much and isn't very knowledgeable. I gave him what I thought would be an alright buy for a USA strat, whatever it is.

Anyway, I it is white on white. I noticed the headstock says with synchronized tremolo and has 4 pat. numbers. The neck looks aged but I cannot tell if this is real age or if this is a reissue. I suppose both are possible. I took off the neck and at the butt of the neck it reads "040601 and there is a smudge mark that I guess could be another one though it looks slightly different than the other numbers. So it could be 040601 or 0406011.

I'll attach some pictures. I've done a lot of searching but haven't been able to place it, so maybe someone can help me out?

Last edited by reelbigfish2020 at Jan 14, 2015,
Mexican body with an aftermarket neck. I can't think of any Strats with maple fretboards that came with black plastic nuts. USA Fenders don't have the 6-screw tremolos, and they also have a hole in the neckplate for the micro-tilt adjustment.

Also, vintage neck logo, but no vintage tuners? If it were truly a vintage neck, the truss rod would be at the bottom. Seems like a Strat copy neck and a sticker slapped on afterwards.

Also, the string trees on fenders are always mounted above the 'N'. That one almost looks to be touching the 'D.'
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 14, 2015,
Another thought:

Fender stamps the dates on the flat bottom part that sits flush with the neck pocket, usually. The last time they did it on the bottom side like that, in my memory, was Japan in the 80's?
The tuners were switched out, I can see the old screw holes. Maybe it is a reissue with the different truss rod.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
The tuners were switched out, I can see the old screw holes. Maybe it is a reissue with the different truss rod.

Incredibly unlikely. That's not really a Fender thing to do.

Quote by reelbigfish2020
Also I am seeing many examples of 6 screw tremolos made in USA

On Reissues and Special Edition guitars, yeah, but not on the Standards. At least, not for the last 20ish years. Your guitar looks Artic White. Reissues would most likely use Olympic White, which has a blueish hue under white light. Hard to tell from your photos, though. Do you have a picture of the neck pocket of the guitar?

EDIT: Another thought, the only guitars I've seen with that black plate under the neckplate have been MIJ's in the 85'-87' era. Odd.

I'd wager my money on it being a partscaster, my friend. There's not a whole lot about it that's congruent of the Strats I know.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 14, 2015,
Quote by reelbigfish2020
Here's a 75 strat with 6 screw trem. I'm not saying that's what this is at all, but just saying be aware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-USA-1975-Stratocaster-Sunburst-Maple-Vintage-Excellent-Condition-/161559294595?pt=Guitar&hash=item259daf3283

Also the body has 5 holes for screws, so it looks like maybe it had a tilt adjustment and maybe a different plate has been put on.

yes the 75 has a 6 point trem . all fender strats up until the 83 had them. they then tried the freflyte trem which was a total piece of shit. that 75 also has a 3 bolt neck just for the record. there doesn't seem to be a serial number which isn't a good sign. the date stamp on the neck doesn't look right either. check the stamp in the neck pocket to see if the dates match more or less at least. the decal is an older version which is kinda odd as well. my guess it's a partscaster with a bootleg fender waterslide. look at the decal if there is no clear coat over it then that will confirm what I said. the nut and tuners are easily replaced so that in itself won't confirm or deny anything.
No date in the pocket. A friend of mine told me that they just stamped the neck and not the bodies before I took off the neck. To which I said, that's weird, seems like you could swap out a neck and wouldn't be able to tell from the body. Maybe this could be a 62 or 67 reissue?
My 62' Reissue has a stamp in the neck pocket. That neck also can't be a 62' RI because they were all rosewood that year.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
No date in the pocket. A friend of mine told me that they just stamped the neck and not the bodies before I took off the neck. To which I said, that's weird, seems like you could swap out a neck and wouldn't be able to tell from the body. Maybe this could be a 62 or 67 reissue?

nope. as mentioned both the 62 and 67 would have a rosewood fingerboard. although it could be a 50s reissue neck that isn't likely either. on old style fender necks the trussrod adjustment was at the base of the neck you had to take them off the body. the neck on yours has it at the top . no skunk strip either. it's kind of an odd neck to be a fender so I'm guessing it's a replacement neck with a fender decal. as mentioned there are to many ?able things about the guitar to pay real money for it.
For what it's worth, the logo decal looks a bit out of place and a tad grainy. It does look a bit aftermarket, but as long as it's a good guitar, who's complaining?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
For what it's worth, the logo decal looks a bit out of place and a tad grainy. It does look a bit aftermarket, but as long as it's a good guitar, who's complaining?

I would probably complain if I payed USA strat money for a mexican/japan/who knows what partscaster
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Is there a serial number on it anywhere? Contacting Fender customer service with the serial number would be the easiest and most exact way to figure it out.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Fake...at least the neck is...but probably the entire guitar. Fender's ALWAYS have a dark plug of wood on the headstock where the truss rod is except for the bullet truss rod necks. But that coupled with all the other inconsistencies screams china fake.