Hey there, I've been playing guitar for a decent amount of time now, and I just feel my current guitar (Ibanez Gio (GRG121DX)) isn't really doing it for me. It'd be great if anyone could help!
Price Range: Around $2000
Favorite Artists: Radiohead, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Queen, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc.
Preferences: I really enjoy the Gibson SG body, radius 400mmR, 22-24 frets, a darker red color preferably
Pickups: Humbuckers, maybe something from Seymour Duncan
New or Used: Would prefer new, but either is fine, so long as it sounds great
$2000 is a huge step up from a GIO, not that GIOs are bad guitars. Are you sure you want to jump straight from entry level into a high level, expensive guitar? I'm not sure how experienced you are etc so that's a genuine question.

If I were in your position I would halve that price and look for a high level second hand guitar. The other option would be to put like $750 towards a new mid tier guitar.

I just feel like throwing $2000 to step up from an entry level guitar to top of the range is a bit strange and I probably wouldn't do it myself.
Echoing all that, plus asking what you're going to be playing through.

Because- speaking as a guy WITH guitars that cost that much- it IS a bit of a leap. And for $2K, you could have a pro-level setup including amp, pedals, cables, etc., as opposed to just a guitar, and those other elements will do more for helping you reach certain tones than just massively upgrade your guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just thought I'd add a bit extra as anecdotal evidence for you to consider. Investing in a middle tier guitar and good set up will probably be a better option. I just feel like with that $2000 budget you've put too much emphasis on price over feel.

Put it this way, I've been playing about 12 years and I don't own any $2000 guitars, as I could never justify the individual cost. Instead I split my money into different styles (numbers of strings, body shapes, acoustic/electric) for versatility and fun. I have a ~$1000 guitar which I bought secondhand at $500 from a desperate seller, several $400-700 and a vintage one which I consider priceless due to its meaning to me, but I spent $400+ restoring it. All up there's maybe $2500 worth of guitars there, but in that bunch is an 8 string, an acoustic, a shred machine with floyd rose, a vintage les paul, etc.

Some people like the high end guitars, but for me they often feel like you're paying for a brand. They are great guitars, but often not worth the $500-1000 more than something at the top of the next lowest tier. I've played a well set up $500 that feels as nice as a $1500 Ibanez. Put some better pups in it for $300 and you have a bargain of an axe. It's all about how it feels to you, not the price tag or the brand.

Just as an experiment I suggest you go play a heap of guitars, without judging their price. Pick up the guitar first, play it, judge it mentally and then look at the price. You'll probably be surprised. Also consider doing this with the brand as well, as sometimes you'll have this mental bias prior to actually playing that Gibson is better than Ibanez etc and it'll affect how you perceive the guitar.
I know you are looking for humbuckers, but look into the Gibson SG Classic. They are basically an SG standard with p-90 pickups. I own one and I love it. Most of the bands you have listed have used p-90s before. If you don't know what they are, they are basically overwound (high output) single coils. They have the chime of a single coil and the gritty balls of a humbucker. Very solid guitar. Gibson doesn't make them anymore, but you could probably find one for about ~$700. Awesome guitar. One of Gibson's best deals IMO. It can do anything from the Beatles to Black Sabbath. Some seriously awesome (and fairly unique compared to most guitarists) tones to be found and used.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Gibson 50th Anniversary Pete Townshend SG special is the greatest guitar on earth. Costs about $1100 US at one of those upscale guitar joints that sell signature guitars and overpriced custom Les Pauls and Fenders. Its got the P90's and its waiting for its master because Pete Townshend sure as hell didn't take this baby and make it desirable. Meanwhile, the $7000 US Jimmy Page 59 Les Paul sits in the same place with fools fawning over it.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
And for $2K, you could have a pro-level setup including amp, pedals, cables, etc., as opposed to just a guitar, and those other elements will do more for helping you reach certain tones than just massively upgrade your guitar.

Here's an example of just over $2000 that includes damn near everything you need to produce the tones you want except cables and power supplies:

Reverend Sensei RA in Satin Wine Red, $850-900*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverend-Sensei-RA-Railhammer-2014-Electric-Guitar-in-Satin-Wine-Red-/301443076262?pt=Guitar&hash=item462f6850a6

www.ebay.com/itm/REVEREND-SENSEI-RA-SATIN-WINE-RED-SET-NECK-W-HARDSHELL-CASE-/231450032464?pt=Guitar&hash=item35e37f3950

Vox AC 15, $500
www.ebay.com/itm/VOX-AC15C1-15w-1x12-Classic-Tube-Combo-Amp-AC15-/311254707672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487839edd8

Boss RT-20 Rotary, $145
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-RT-20-Rotary-Ensemble-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-with-Box-PD-9729-/271739156366?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f44ea778e

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, $135
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Visual-Sound-V2JH-Jekyll-Hyde-Pedal-V2-Series-with-Box-and-Paperwork-/191481864095?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c95355f9f

Line6 ToneCore Echo Park, $110
https://reverb.com/item/441679-line-6-tonecore-echo-park-delay

Line6 ToneCore Verbzilla, $150
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/line-6-verbzilla-reverb-pedal/?gclid=CLz0woWJlcMCFQsAaQodmy4ASA

EHX Big Muff Pi, $80
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electro-Harmonix-Big-Muff-Pi-Classic-Fuzz-Distortion-Guitar-EHX-Effects-Pedal-/131151306973?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e893a20dd

Red Witch Pentavocal Trem, $159
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Witch-Pentavocal-Tremolo-guitar-effect-pedal-Box-Manual-/301483835063?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4631d63eb7

Some of this stuff is used, but I was aiming for quality and breadth of function...and a good, red SG-like axe. There's even some wiggle room, and honestly, if I worked hard at it, I could do better.

And I'm sure others could, too.

* FWIW, Reverend's Sensei 290 version of this guitar with a pair of P90s is also a killer. The wine red version is not currently in production, but they do pop up in the used market on occasion.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 14, 2015,
Another solid (used) guitar option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-Richmond-Belmont-Electric-Guitar-/351256403431?pt=Guitar&hash=item51c8835de7

...even better as a NOS floor model clearance:
https://reverb.com/item/193041-richmond-belmont-burgundy

(And yes, the pickups are all Seymour Duncans.)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 14, 2015,

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 15, 2015,
Quote by shiggityswah
$2000 is a huge step up from a GIO, not that GIOs are bad guitars. Are you sure you want to jump straight from entry level into a high level, expensive guitar? I'm not sure how experienced you are etc so that's a genuine question.

If I were in your position I would halve that price and look for a high level second hand guitar. The other option would be to put like $750 towards a new mid tier guitar.

I just feel like throwing $2000 to step up from an entry level guitar to top of the range is a bit strange and I probably wouldn't do it myself.

I do agree, it is a big leap. I was merely looking around at many high quality guitars and noticed a tendency that they were usually in the $1000-$2000 range. Just giving a bit of leeway, I definitely agree. I'd prefer it to be in the range of about $400-$900, but I'm willing to go over.
Quote by kentuckyklira
If you like and can afford a red SG, why not get a red SG?

I was talking with a few friends who've been playing a lot longer than I have, and they suggested that this may not be the guitar for me. Also, the model that I'd want (Gibson 1961 Les Paul Tribute) is very hard for me to find.
Quote by shiggityswah
Just thought I'd add a bit extra as anecdotal evidence for you to consider. Investing in a middle tier guitar and good set up will probably be a better option. I just feel like with that $2000 budget you've put too much emphasis on price over feel.

Put it this way, I've been playing about 12 years and I don't own any $2000 guitars, as I could never justify the individual cost. Instead I split my money into different styles (numbers of strings, body shapes, acoustic/electric) for versatility and fun. I have a ~$1000 guitar which I bought secondhand at $500 from a desperate seller, several $400-700 and a vintage one which I consider priceless due to its meaning to me, but I spent $400+ restoring it. All up there's maybe $2500 worth of guitars there, but in that bunch is an 8 string, an acoustic, a shred machine with floyd rose, a vintage les paul, etc.

Some people like the high end guitars, but for me they often feel like you're paying for a brand. They are great guitars, but often not worth the $500-1000 more than something at the top of the next lowest tier. I've played a well set up $500 that feels as nice as a $1500 Ibanez. Put some better pups in it for $300 and you have a bargain of an axe. It's all about how it feels to you, not the price tag or the brand.

Just as an experiment I suggest you go play a heap of guitars, without judging their price. Pick up the guitar first, play it, judge it mentally and then look at the price. You'll probably be surprised. Also consider doing this with the brand as well, as sometimes you'll have this mental bias prior to actually playing that Gibson is better than Ibanez etc and it'll affect how you perceive the guitar.

Thanks a ton, actually. This really did help. I guess I added a bit too much on the original price range without clearly stating that the tone and feel is what I'm after. I probably should have not even listed the price range, it's just not the important part for me.
You could get a semi-custom Agile, single or double cutaway, and spec away on the options to your hearts content http://www.rondomusic.com/alcustomjuly2015.html
And spend the rest on a decent amp like an Engl Screamer.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by tapa595
I probably should have not even listed the price range, it's just not the important part for me.

Actually, knowing your budget helps US help you. It lets us know if we're in the right ballpark with our suggestions and weeds out the truly ridiculous.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 15, 2015,
Glad to help!

FWIW, regarding that list: I trust GuitarsandEffects the most. I've steered a few people there for purchases, and all have been happy so far.

I have bought from eBay- and let's be honest, if you could win that auction cheap, it would be a steal.

I don't know the UK store.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Glad to help!

FWIW, regarding that list: I trust GuitarsandEffects the most. I've steered a few people there for purchases, and all have been happy so far.

I have bought from eBay- and let's be honest, if you could win that auction cheap, it would be a steal.

I don't know the UK store.

I agree, GuitarsandEffects does seem more reliable. The auction is still down at about 550 though.
Quote by INSULIN
prs has good ones for 700 not there expensive ones hell buy 2

Grammar and punctuation let people know if you know you're shit or know your shit.
Quote by tapa595
I was talking with a few friends who've been playing a lot longer than I have, and they suggested that this may not be the guitar for me. Also, the model that I'd want (Gibson 1961 Les Paul Tribute) is very hard for me to find.

My issues with the SG model in general include the fact that it's a lot easier to find one that's neck-heavy than not. It will definitely slow down your playing if you have to use the palm of your hand to hold up the neck of the guitar while fretting. There's also the fact that the neck strap button locates the guitar pretty far out to the left compared to other guitars, and that the treble cutaway horn forces anyone with largish hands to rotate his hand to get to the upper frets. If you're spending big bucks for a "better" guitar, you should probably consider how playable it really is.

Simply spending throwing more money on a guitar won't get you a better guitar necessarily. Neither will spending on looks or logo (brand name).