Page 1 of 2
Im looking to buy an amplifier. Ive heard good things about all three of these. Im looking to get a good classic rock tone, from Led Zep to Ac/dc to Slash. It would be nice if I could play at bedroom level, but I would also like to play over a small garage band, although of course that wont be a problem with these amps. initially I was leaning toward the Marshall, but is it really worth the extra money? I would be looking at the combo version for all three of these.
Thanks in advance
The Bugeras are clones of the 5150/5150II amps and are more modern sounding than what you want and they don't have a good rep when it comes to quality. The Marshall is deff the better choice for you. Look for a used JCM2000 DSL401 though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Bugeras are clones of the 5150/5150II amps and are more modern sounding than what you want and they don't have a good rep when it comes to quality. The Marshall is deff the better choice for you. Look for a used JCM2000 DSL401 though.

This. A DSL401 made after 2003 is far superior.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I own the 6260, its pretty meh on all fronts.

if i could redo that purchase i would pass on bugera.
The 6260 is a Peavey 6505 clone, whilst the 6262 is a 6505+colone, as stated above. The main difference is the extra 3 band eq for the Lead channel on the 6505.
For Slash, ACDC tones, the Marshall should be better. The Bugeras are more of a Machine Head/Trivium/Atreyu sound. As stated above, the pre-2003 Marshalls are much better than the present ones.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Those Bugeras would be better choice for modern metal/djent or all out death metal but for your music Marshall all the way.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I had the 6260 combo and i was never happy with it for anything really, and some quality issues, go with the marshall for the tone you are after!! Bugera wont satisfy or give you a tone you like, its kinda the opposite of what you want.
Quote by Cathbard
This. A DSL401 made after 2003 is far superior.

Quote by Fryderyczek
As stated above, the pre-2003 Marshalls are much better than the present ones.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Go for a Bugera 333/XL combo, much more versatile and way better than the DSL combos imo. Mine destroyed the other guitarists DSL40c in my ex-band.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 23, 2015,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Go for a Bugera 333/XL combo, much more versatile and way better than the DSL combos imo. Mine destroyed the other guitarists DSL40c in my ex-band.

Eh only issue is build quality really sucks with Bugera
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

BUT BUT BUT THEY'VE FIXED ALL THEIR ISSUES...

*sarcasm*

+1 to everything said here.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Robbgnarly

Eh? Mine has worked flawlessly for 4-5 years. I don't think OP is going to be touring the world with it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 24, 2015,
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Eh? Mine has worked flawlessly for 4-5 years. I don't think OP is going to be touring the world with it.

well bully for you. and you don't have to be a world-class act to want an amplifier that will last.
Mine is lasting just fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
So? You got lucky is all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I guess you could say you got lucky with your Marshall and Randall as well
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Sure, but the chances are far, far greater.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not really, most of the bad rap they get is from the molex connector that was getting burnt but that's an easy fix anyway and was corrected right after they come out.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
That was just the funniest thing they did. They're Behringer FFS. Come to terms with it, man. You bought a piece of junk and got lucky.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's far from a piece of junk, it's a pretty damn good amp for the price.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/559370-sloans-bugera-333xl-thread.html#post8828711

"This amp is in no way built shitty like others have claimed. I have dicked on the insides of Marshalls and to me; this is on par or better than most of the Marshall stuff I've seen. Very clean and organized."
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I have 333 and 6262, both are fine, the 6262's clean channel sucks a bit but they are both solid and reliable. I have owned marshalls in the past, jcm800 50w MV head for example that blew up so many times I threw it away, I changed transformers more than I changed my strings. The best marshall amp I ever owned was AVT275 combo. AVT's get bad press here but that's mainly by people who don't have a clue or are too young to know and just follow what they have read here. I play everything from DC Stones Purple Phonics halen to dream theatre. I get classic tones from the bugeras when I need to no problem. As for Bugeras being more for a Machine Head/Trivium/Atreyu sound, I wouldn't know, I don't play tuneless noisy shite.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Not really, most of the bad rap they get is from the molex connector that was getting burnt but that's an easy fix anyway and was corrected right after they come out.

I work on amps from time to time, I have owned a Bugera 333 and it is not a reliably built amp at all. There were numerous cold solder joints. The input jacks are extremely cheap, the PCB is thin and flimsy, tube sockets are not good quality.

There is nothing Quality about Bugera at all. And the price reflects that. Sure they sound good, but for anyone looking for a quality amp, Bugera is not going to deliver.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 24, 2015,
How could it not be quality if mine has lasted 4-5 years fine? It's been moved around quite a fair bit as well.

Quality as in what? Being expected to be dropped off the back of a truck and still work? For your average bedroom guitarist the quality is more than enough.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Not all Pintos exploded. Gonna buy one?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The analogy would work if Pintos had an awesome sound system or a great engine. Nor do Bugeras cause death.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
The analogy would work if Pintos had an awesome sound system or a great engine. Nor do Bugeras cause death.

Nor have they spontaneusly combusted in many years. Being built cheaper is one thing (which simply means there is a higher chance of getting a lemon but its still not guaranteed) but harping on that one design **** up is just unfair. Plus a bit hypocritical since Marshall has also have had such design flaws that made some amps break prematurely. Early JCM2000 for example.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Badmotorfingers

Eh the engine of the Bugera amps is not that great.

Look no one is saying Bugera amps sound bad at all, they are just built very cheap. So build quality is not going to be the best
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MaaZeus
Nor have they spontaneusly combusted in many years. Being built cheaper is one thing (which simply means there is a higher chance of getting a lemon but its still not guaranteed) but harping on that one design **** up is just unfair. Plus a bit hypocritical since Marshall has also have had such design flaws that made some amps break prematurely. Early JCM2000 for example.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Eh the engine of the Bugera amps is not that great.

Look no one is saying Bugera amps sound bad at all, they are just built very cheap. So build quality is not going to be the best

I never said they have the best quality. I said their quality is probably more than acceptable for anything short of heavy touring and shouldn't be written off for such reasons.

Quote by KailM
Concerns about the 6260/6262's quality issues aside, they are just not the right tone for the job.

The Marshall will get TS much closer to what he wants, by far.

Get the Marshall, /thread.

Or a 333/333XL even more so...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
are you kidding me? the 333 is based on a peavey xxx, which is absolutely the wrong amp for OP's desired tones. suck bugera's dick all you like - in this case, it's not the ticket.
Marshall all the way in this case.

Bugera are totally wrong for the situation, if the 333 is based off the XXX it's totally wrong, compressed to hell and back and has too much gain.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Arby911

That's how hard life is when you're forgetting English. I seriously have to think in English to not forget it.
I probably mixed these two up.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Robbgnarly

Based on what we've seen, one would have to conclude that Marshall is crap as well, given the well known problems they had with their 600's and early DSL's, no?

I don't care what anyone buys, and don't own a Bugera, but at what point does the anecdotal witch-hunt stop? What makes one person's bad experience more pertinent than another's good experience?

To me this is, as always, simply more proof that we aren't a rational species, just a rationalizing species. We see what we prefer to see.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Based on what we've seen, one would have to conclude that Marshall is crap as well, given the well known problems they had with their 600's and early DSL's, no?

I don't care what anyone buys, and don't own a Bugera, but at what point does the anecdotal witch-hunt stop? What makes one person's bad experience more pertinent than another's good experience?

There are far too many people who have technical problems with these amps that shouldn't be there, when compared to amps in a similar price range and a similar design. I don't think that's an unreasonable metric.

Fwiw, I've owned a Bugera 6262. I know first hand how poorly made they are, just as many people on this forum have. I wanted to think that I bought a great amp when I first got it, and it left me disappointed because it kept letting me down.

The hating will stop when they make amps that are more reliable. It isn't a matter of anecdotal evidence, its a matter of how they are designed and constructed for what I have seen.

I'd consider the Marshall's reliability to be marginally better, even though it is still built pretty badly.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 24, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There are far too many people who have technical problems with these amps that shouldn't be there, when compared to amps in a similar price range and a similar design. I don't think that's an unreasonable metric.

Fwiw, I've owned a Bugera 6262. I know first hand how poorly made they are, just as many people on this forum have. I wanted to think that I bought a great amp when I first got it, and it left me disappointed.

The hating will stop when they make amps that are more reliable.

Ok, let's go through this again.

How many amps has Bugera sold?

How many have had problems?

Unless and until you can answer those, your initial paragraph is just poorly sourced speculative opinion. Yes, I've seen several complaints. I've also seen several kudos. I have no earthly idea what their actual failure rate is.

Neither do you.

Apologies, but your anecdotal evidence means what, exactly? That you're a single consumer that got a lemon, no more and no less. Just like the consumers that got the early DSL's (for far more money) or 600's from Marshall.

As noted, I don't have one, but the incessant harping against them based on an extremely limited data set got old a LONG time ago.
Charles Darwin
Might as well not talk about any gear then since that can be said about anything.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Arby911
Ok, let's go through this again.

How many amps has Bugera sold?

How many have had problems?

Unless and until you can answer those, your initial paragraph is just poorly sourced speculative opinion. Yes, I've seen several complaints. I've also seen several kudos. I have no earthly idea what their actual failure rate is.

Neither do you.

Apologies, but your anecdotal evidence means what, exactly? That you're a single consumer that got a lemon, no more and no less. Just like the consumers that got the early DSL's (for far more money) or 600's from Marshall.

As noted, I don't have one, but the incessant harping against them based on an extremely limited data set got old a LONG time ago.

Do you know how many examples of what you perceive to be the most reliable amp have been sold? Do you know how often they break?

You don't? Then in that case, your view of what is the most reliable amp is just poorly sourced speculative opinion. I've also seen several kudos. I have no earthly idea what their actual success rate is.

Neither do you.

etc.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 24, 2015,
Page 1 of 2