Hi guys, I was doing a little research on early 80's strats as I found a pawn shop trying to flog a 2 knob strat standard for 2 grand and was sus on the price because of the general consensus that they were crap... but anyway I stumbled on this little Gem...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FENDER-STRATOCASTER-THE-STRAT-1982-CUSTOM-COLOUR-RARE-RARE-RARE-PROJECT-USA-/251358025614?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item3a861b178e

A 1980 The Strat in Sapphire blue with a once used in a different guitar neck, backplate, body and trem, no other parts for the princely sum of $4200... Is the price justified when the red ones I see are complete and are worth $2000 less?? As far as I can see, the only thing of value here is the trem which doesn't have an arm and I have read are worth a mint to replace and tuners...
Last edited by dazza027 at Jan 15, 2015,
Remember Ebay also has a listing a few years back for "Ghost in a Jar" and some knukleheads bid on it (I didn't win).
The only reason I'd buy that would be in a money laundering scheme.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I reckon it already is one lol... At least it has the correct serial number prefix. Theres a couple of other ones which have the letter E as the prefix instead of the correct letter G...
Those are nothing special, just an 80's super strat that fender made to compete with the likes of Charvel, Kramer, Jackson, Ibanez and others. I'd pay no more than a standard MIA Strat
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd say "RARE RARE RARE" is a dealbreaker straight off the line, really.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Way way overpriced, about the only things *rare* left on that guitar is the headstock shape and the tremolo. The real magic (the circuitry) is gone.

I'd give the guy $250 American for it at most, $100 being my personal asking price. Now, if it were a 1982 Fender "The Strat" intact 100% working with all the "Special Sauce" under the hood that Fender put on that model, that would be a whole different story.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Yeah thats the thing, the neck was pulled off it 30 years ago... why? And even if that body had been stored for that long, there would still be some aging to it you would think, that thing is near pristine and to be honest looks as though it has just been painted. I think the neck, trem and knobs are real, the rest is fake.
^^^^ Would have been better with original size fretwire.

OP: That sh** cray.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Jan 16, 2015,
Quote by dazza027
Yeah thats the thing, the neck was pulled off it 30 years ago... why? And even if that body had been stored for that long, there would still be some aging to it you would think, that thing is near pristine and to be honest looks as though it has just been painted. I think the neck, trem and knobs are real, the rest is fake.

This sounds right. I had a Fender "The Strat" ages ago and still regret selling it. Mine was red though. They were heavy as hell but sounded great. The special electronics made them extremely versatile.
Quote by Funk Monk
^^^^ Would have been better with original size fretwire.

OP: That sh** cray.

You are correct sir.