I'm buying my first marshall amp.( I own a orange th 100 and just sold a 5150) I can't really get anywhere to play them being as the nearest guitar store is almost 2 hours away.so far to me the jvm is really appealing but I see a lot of praise for the dsl which I'm pretty sure they are referring to the old jcm 2000's.. I have a feeling the new dsl100h aren't on the same level as the 2000s.. but almost any band who's tone caught my attention ends up being a marshall jcm2000.. can anyone give me input on either of the two or both would be nice.
is there a huge difference in tones from them? I know the jvm has alot more voicings and options.
JVM's are great, if you're willing to pay for them. For over a thousand bucks less though, you can get the same tone with a DSL. The JVM's do have two EQ controls, one for each channel, but I personally wouldn't spend $2000 for it. The DSL is great, highly recommend, but if you're down, go ahead and by the JVM. Both are great amps for that signature Marshall sound.
Quote by no one, ever
I absolutely love the pop scene nowadays. So many artists with real musical talent!
I played at a charity event a few weeks ago using a house backline. I had a new DSL100 and my other guitarist had a JCM2000 DSL100. Chalk and cheese. The new DSL had new tubes, both amps into same type of cabs. The 2000 blew it away. I had to play twice as hard.
The Red channel on the JVM is horrible. Hunt down a post 2003 JCM2000.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The JCM2000 DSL is a really great amp. It's like all of their efforts with 2ch JCM800s and all the failed JCM900s all amounted to finally getting it right in the DSL. Then they started ****ing up again in the TSL. But we don't talk about that.

I like the JVM. when it's played through H30s (my preferred speaker). It's not as nice with V30s or T75s (though the V30s are better, if it's worth anything). I wouldn't get a 2 channel JVM though. I feel like it defeats the purpose of what it's supposed to be. If I was going for something simple/classic, I'd get a DSL or a Vintage Modern first, no question. If you want an amp for straight up modern high gain, with a British feel, I think the Peavey 6534+ does the job a lot better than the JVM. And a 2ch Dual Rectifier running EL34s would probably be better too. But maybe not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
See thats what u was worried about is the new dsl's being not as good as the old. I kinda have to buy it new so it would be between the dsl 100h and jvm 205. If they both have the similar tones i think I'll she'll out the extra cash because from what I've heard the cleans are nicer on the jvm. I played a marshall before a few years back I believe it was the dsl and it was nice but the low end seemed almost flabby.. but I don't wanna buy the jvm and wish it would have been the dsl haha. I read the jvm can kinda get into the jcm800 territory as well as the old jcm2000 to as well.. which if that's the case I'd be completely happy. It's mainly going to be used for recording.. probably anywhere from pop rock to post hardcore type music.
If you have to buy new, the JVM destroys the new DSL. No competition whatsoever. Regardless of genre, it just straight up sounds better at any setting.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I own one of the old JCM2000 DSLs and they're amazing. They do the classic marshall sound, as well as a bunch of other great stuff. The trick when I was buying mine was that there were a lot of the new ones that werent as good on the market and it took some working out to find the right one.
The JVMs are great too, but I find them a little more narrow tone-wise.
splawn quickrod. kills marshalls. /thread
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I like both the JVM and the JCM2000 DSL (older, non-China). The new DSL is still pretty decent, especially the combos, but considering the old DSL prices used, there's no need to get the rebuild version with the cheaper electronics and craftmanship.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
splawn quickrod. kills marshalls. /thread

Splawn Streetrod...

But really, The reason I went from a DSL and a JVM to the Splawn is because of how much the SPlawn blew the others out of the water. My favorite thing is how big and thick it sounds at any volume. It's so thick and meaty, even on the first gear. It just covers so much space sonically.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Last edited by Katsock at Jan 17, 2015,