Page 1 of 2
So here's the scenario:
Imagine a typical, shitty pop artist (e.g. Justin Bieber) and his record label suddenly going, 'You know what? We've earned enough money now, so let's **** up the world a bit.' And they record a really (and I mean really) good rock/metal album. He then only does new songs when performing live and completely changes his personality in interviews and stuff.

So, a bit like Dylan in 1965, but not being awesome before AND after, but only after, and it all would be happening nowadays.

What what the reactions by average radio listeners be? Would he still sell well because he's famous? How would rock/metal fans react (as said, the album is really good)? Would they now suddenly listen to his music? Or would he just generally be hated now?

PS: I'm not sure whether this is the right forum, but it didn't quite fit anywhere else...

EDIT: Also, if it worked out, how would other pop artists and record labels react?
EDIT2: This is rather a social experiment, the point is not that I want Bieber to turn metal, it's that I wonder how much of one's taste in music is really directly connected to the music itself and not other circumstances like popular taste or the artist's public appearance.
Last edited by pb15994 at Jan 15, 2015,
You want a metal Bieber album?

What bothers me with this is that of the thousands of metal bands in the world, you'd rather one guy change what he does to suit your whims instead of going out and finding more bands. I think everyone got over the whole "Pop is so shit people should listen to my music" a few years ago.
Nope can't do it
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

What bothers me with this is that of the thousands of metal bands in the world, you'd rather one guy change what he does to suit your whims instead of going out and finding more bands. I think everyone got over the whole "Pop is so shit people should listen to my music" a few years ago.

I don't think you got my point. It's not 'pop music is shit', it's 'how influenced by media/other circumstances is people's taste in music?'
Like Radiohead? I mean their first Album sux arse!
how bout the beatles?
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

Quote by rolandroi
how bout the beatles?

Actually a good and probably better known example than Dylan, but this also happened 50 years ago. Radiohead probably isn't counting, since they weren't that popular and established at that time.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I just kinda assumed our generation grew up and realized all music sucks.
Quote by ultimate-slash
What if an awesome artist suddenly went pop?

That would make quite a mess I think.

This actually happens more often than the other way round...
Quote by pb15994
Radiohead probably isn't counting, since they weren't that popular and established at that time.

What do you mean? Radiohead's first 3 albums were pretty standard alternative rock and they did get big and establish themselves with that sound. It wasn't until Kid A that they really got their sound. Before Kid A they were just another alternative band but on that album and forward they became the experimental electronic band they are now. That was a complete shift in style after already establishing themselves as something else.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Last edited by caeser1156 at Jan 15, 2015,
why would bieber ever stoop low enough to make a shitty metal album? the guy's too good for that.

Quote by caeser1156
What do you mean? Radiohead's first 3 albums were pretty standard alternative rock and they did get big and establish themselves with that sound. It wasn't until Kid A that they really got their sound. Before Kid A they were just another alternative band but on that album and forward they became the experimental electronic band they are now. That was a complete shift in style after already establishing themselves as something else.

Whoa now OK Computer-era Radiohead can't and shouldn't be simplified as 'just another alternative band', even though Kid A was definitely more experimental
Quote by whywefight
Whoa now OK Computer-era Radiohead can't and shouldn't be simplified as 'just another alternative band', even though Kid A was definitely more experimental

Oh yeah, I forgot that they started to experiment a on OK Computer, but still, I think it stands that they definitely started out and got popular being way more bland than what they became.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by ultimate-slash
What if an awesome artist suddenly went pop?

That would make quite a mess I think.

This is a joke about exploding people and it is really funny.
It'd be really cringey and even if he made the greatest metal album ever, people wouldn't like it because metalheads are weirdo elitists with overly high standards so they'd hate him for being an ex-popstar and call him a poser or something.
Quote by pb15994
So here's the scenario:
Imagine a typical, shitty pop artist (e.g. Justin Bieber) and his record label suddenly going, 'You know what? We've earned enough money now, so let's **** up the world a bit.' And they record a really (and I mean really) good rock/metal album. He then only does new songs when performing live and completely changes his personality in interviews and stuff.

So, a bit like Dylan in 1965, but not being awesome before AND after, but only after, and it all would be happening nowadays.

What what the reactions by average radio listeners be? Would he still sell well because he's famous? How would rock/metal fans react (as said, the album is really good)? Would they now suddenly listen to his music? Or would he just generally be hated now?

PS: I'm not sure whether this is the right forum, but it didn't quite fit anywhere else...

EDIT: Also, if it worked out, how would other pop artists and record labels react?
EDIT2: This is rather a social experiment, the point is not that I want Bieber to turn metal, it's that I wonder how much of one's taste in music is really directly connected to the music itself and not other circumstances like popular taste or the artist's public appearance.

If you want metal bieber you might aswell look at Bullet For My Valentine or Black Veil Brides. It's close enough
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If Justin Bieber went rock, he'd lose all the pop buzz/audience he has, and the rock crowd would refuse to accept him simply based off of who he is. He's probably the worst candidate for a "pop gone rock/metal" makeover possible.

However generally speaking it's pretty doable, Ice T does rap, and he does metal too.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
On the example of Justin Bieber, I would totally get on board. His rascal, bad boy, "I'm black inside" personality puts me off a little, but if he changed that, AND made better music as well, I'd really like that.
I remember there being news articles posted on UG about Ryan Adams doing a metal album. As I haven't seen anything about him on here since, I imagine it didn't work and he went back to doing whatever it is he does anyway?
Quote by triface
On the example of Justin Bieber, I would totally get on board. His rascal, bad boy, "I'm black inside" personality puts me off a little, but if he changed that, AND made better music as well, I'd really like that.

l
o
l

Quote by ultimate-slash
This is a joke about exploding people and it is really funny.

Still even when talking about exploding people, it happens more often than people suddenly appearing out of molecules, so my answer is true either way...
Quote by Br0c00ler
If Justin Bieber went rock, he'd lose all the pop buzz/audience he has, and the rock crowd would refuse to accept him simply based off of who he is. He's probably the worst candidate for a "pop gone rock/metal" makeover possible.

That's pretty much what I meant, but why wouldn't the rock crowds accept him if the music is good? It's kind of similar to saying 'Most female pop artists are only being listened to because they're hot.' Rock listeners are similar, but they WON'T listen to someone because of his background/history. To me making music is about getting better at expressing oneself and probably changing oneself on the way, so I don't get how one's previous career should hold me back from liking his/her music or not.
Quote by pb15994

whut?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
whut?

Watch Dylan interviews from 1965, it's just hilarious. (the rest of the sentence implied that Bieber (in my opinion) doesn't make good music now)
Quote by pb15994
Watch Dylan interviews from 1965, it's just hilarious. (the rest of the sentence implied that Bieber (in my opinion) doesn't make good music now)

i still don't understand, what did Dylan do before 65?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
i still don't understand, what did Dylan do before 65?

Before 1965 Dylan was a stereotypical folk protest singer and everybody wanted him to kind of be 'the voice of the young generation', but I guess this wasn't what he had in mind, so he turned rock'n'roll, started writing surreal lyrics and ****ed reporters up at interviews, making folk fans hate him (and me like him very much). So it was kind of the scenario I talked about with Bieber, but 50 years ago.
Quote by Minkaro
I remember there being news articles posted on UG about Ryan Adams doing a metal album. As I haven't seen anything about him on here since, I imagine it didn't work and he went back to doing whatever it is he does anyway?

He made a hardcore-inspired EP to my knowledge. Sounds kinda Bob Mould-esque, like a collection from the Hüsker Dü cutting room floor. Don't know about a metal album, though he apparently likes black metal
Quote by MinterMan22
why would bieber ever stoop low enough to make a shitty metal album? the guy's too good for that.

goddammit you ass don't make me agree with you on things
it hurts internally
¯\_()_/¯
Like how you basically suggest that music has to be rock/metal to be awesome.

Plenty of good pop out there.
Speaking about what ifs.
what if TS didn't ask these dumb questions?
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I don't understand.

Well, we can't expect him to jump directly to jazz, can we?
PS: Kudos to you for having 'Graham Central Station' listed as first band in your favourite bands list!
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Speaking about what ifs.
what if TS didn't ask these dumb questions?

Then you'll waste your time elsewhere, the output would be the same.
Everyone already says t swift is awesome and I'm sure I've seen threads about her doing punkrock covers or somethin
Page 1 of 2