Hi, I've been looking into getting my first ever -acoustic- guitar. I have read the FAQ on finding a guitar, but it was very little help as I live a long way off any sort of music store and rarely have any way of getting to them anyway. I've been talking to a few on-line friends of mine who play guitar, but most of them play electric. A couple recommended me getting a Epiphone DR-200CE(?), but I'm a complete beginner at this so I'm not entirely sure about what I'm looking at. I would prefer something that wasn't incredibly expensive, as I most definitely wouldn't have the money. I'd like something I wouldn't really want/need to replace after I'm not so much of a beginner, and something that would be easy-ish to learn on with my small hands. Will I need anything else other than the guitar? Would I be able to learn guitar without lessons?

Any help would be appreciated! :-)
Find a Yamaha with good action, intonation and that stays in tune. They make the best low end price-point acoustics imho.
Quote by reverb66
Find a Yamaha with good action, intonation and that stays in tune. They make the best low end price-point acoustics imho.

^ ^ ^ ^ IMHO too
Quote by medievalkitty
(a) Will I need anything else other than the guitar? (b) Would I be able to learn guitar without lessons?

(a) You don't definitely need these things, but depending on what and how you play, a strap, stand, plectrums (picks) and a gigbag (if you travel with the guitar) wouldn't hurt. EDIT: and a tuner.

(b) Do you have any prior musical instrument experience? I taught myself guitar but I played piano and drums before guitar. I'm not sure I'd have wanted to teach myself if I didn't have that prior knowledge. Even with it, I'm guessing I missed bits here and there.

That being said, Justinguitar is very, very good (website, free).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by medievalkitty
Hi, I've been looking into getting my first ever -acoustic- guitar. I have read the FAQ on finding a guitar, but it was very little help as I live a long way off any sort of music store and rarely have any way of getting to them anyway. I've been talking to a few on-line friends of mine who play guitar, but most of them play electric. A couple recommended me getting a Epiphone DR-200CE(?), but I'm a complete beginner at this so I'm not entirely sure about what I'm looking at. I would prefer something that wasn't incredibly expensive, as I most definitely wouldn't have the money. I'd like something I wouldn't really want/need to replace after I'm not so much of a beginner, and something that would be easy-ish to learn on with my small hands. Will I need anything else other than the guitar? Would I be able to learn guitar without lessons?

Any help would be appreciated! :-)

Just go to guitar store, Try few acoustic guitars, Get the feel of each and every guitar.

There are guys in store take suggestion from them about the guitars which you liked and would like to own.

Buy!
^ If he doesn't play yet, how does he try them?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ If he doesn't play yet, how does he try them?

Play at very basic level. I hope you got the point.
Quote by reverb66

Funny because my parents bought me a Yamaha acoustic guitar at Costco back in 2000. I didn't know how to play guitar at the time, so I didn't know how good it was. Little did I know that it was all messed up. When I took it to a instructor to take a look at it, it had terrible fret buzz on the high E string and the guitar will not stay in tune. The instructor said the guitar was so messed up that it would require EXPENSIVE repair, which was obviously not worth it since it was only a $100 guitar. By the time I discovered the defect, it was too late to return and it had to be thrown out.

I know Costco is not the place to buy guitar, but this guitar had the YAMAHA label on it and was advertised a real, legitimate guitar.... only it wasn't. I don't think Yamaha is such a great brand for selling faulty merchandise to ignorant retailers. Because of that, I will never trust Yamaha again... not even from a good music store.
Quote by 21sthost
Play at very basic level. I hope you got the point.

that only works though if he's already had some guitar experience (which might be the case, but it also might not). if he's buying a guitar and only going to start learning once he gets it, there's not a whole heap of trying he can do
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the yamaha FG700 is a good budget guitar, as it has a solid top for more resonance and the tone is nice. also yamaha tends to be pretty good quality control. it's about $200, but if you can't swing that, i'd suggest the yamaha F335, as it's probably the best-sounding entry level all laminate guitar. if you have a few bucks left over, it would be worth getting your guitar set up fairly low by an actual luthier or guitar tech.

you can learn using online lessons like at justinguitar.com
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Hiya again,
I've had a little bit of experience with piano, but it wasn't something I enjoyed. Thank you all for your input on things though
Also, quick heads up guys, I'm a she..?
Quote by medievalkitty
Hiya again,
I've had a little bit of experience with piano, but it wasn't something I enjoyed. Thank you all for your input on things though
Also, quick heads up guys, I'm a she..?
I guessed that. Otherwise, you'd be "MedievalKat"....

I don't know what time frame you're speaking to regarding the Yamaha you purchased. Times have changed in the Asian / Pacific Rim guitar market. As a rule, QA is much, much, better. Yamaha is regarded as a high quality beginner's guitar. "Rodrigo Y Gabriella", both play Yamaha classicals in their stage show.

Epiphone had a hit or miss reputation for quality control. That was in their older China located factories. Today, their acoustics are made in Indonesia, and the lion's share of new owners are raving about them! (Notice how cleverly I worked the whole cat theme back into the conversation)?

As a suggestion for you personally, I think you might consider the Epiphone Pro-1. It's a new acoustic designed for ease of play. This guitar ships with very light strings, and the guitars are set up for low action here in the US. So, it takes the load off a newcomers fingers, hence taking some of the , "no pain, no gain", aspect of learning the steel string out of the equation.

As to the concept of buying from the "big box" retailers over the counter, in most cases it isn't really necessary to try out a guitar before you buy it. Read its reviews on line, then subtract a bit of praise coming from people who just bought theirs and are spouting its virtues too profusely.

In any case, buying from one of the major online Etailers is probably the way to go. All of them have wonderful, liberal, return policies. Since you don't play yet, you'll just have to trust us here at UG, (or another forum). The regulars here have an agenda, as does everyone involved with guitar forums on the web. However, our agenda is altruistic to the extent we want to make you happy with what you purchase, so you don't come back and say rude things about us.

With those things said, here's my suggestion for you regarding both guitar and source: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-pro-1-plus-acoustic-guitar

And here's the acoustic electric version of the same guitar. Whatever else the pros and cons of buying an AE guitar as your 1st purchase, it would be easier to sell should you decide not to continue. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-pro-1-ultra-acoustic-electric-guitar

(The trans blue, (my favortie)version of this guitar won't be available until early march (?)). It sort of goes to the success of this design concept, that suppliers simply can't keep them in stock, and Epiphone can sell a ton more of them than they can produce. The acoustic only versions are all in stock.

The Yamaha FG-700 is a fine instrument as well, judging by all the happy members we've had come back and tell us so.

I'm still going to stick with the Epiphone as I'm thrilled with my new EJ-200-SCE, and am currently waiting for its sister to drop from heaven, otherwise known as the UPS truck. At least that's where I call "heaven", as I'm pretty much a heathen otherwise...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 31, 2015,
^ depending on how much experience, you could try teaching yourself. Maybe justinguitar, as i mentioned above. if it's not making sense, then you can consider a teacher.

and sorry
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?