I was just watching up on TV, Charlie Brookers Yearwipe and it made me think about everything. It's really weird and I felt like it opened my eyes to what is really going on.

It makes you feel really weird

Video is here: Times from 28:23 until 33:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EoNsGHZD0

Here's a direct link to where the segment starts.

Discussion would be cool for such a matter.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Jan 15, 2015,
well we're fucked now. when the people can't object to the government, the government can remove free thought without fear.

I see totalitarianism.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I saw it as a segment explaining how politicians and the media use misinformation and contrasting stories to enforce their power.

Chief example being George Osborne: saying in public that the economy is getting better - he is believed, then reports come out saying the economy is getting worse - also are believed. Which is right? We don't know. There's too much information.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Love Charlie Brooker. His Blockhead style song at the end of that episode was amazing.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Just finished watching it. I found that segment quite scary, it's amazing how advanced and nuanced propaganda has become these days.

Btw, don't read the comments section.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I saw it as a segment explaining how politicians and the media use misinformation and contrasting stories to enforce their power.

Chief example being George Osborne: saying in public that the economy is getting better - he is believed, then reports come out saying the economy is getting worse - also are believed. Which is right? We don't know. There's too much information.

Believe the guy whose job security doesn't depend on the economy getting better.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Charlie Brooker is really a bit of a comedic genius. The rest of the show is funny but then there's that segment which is legitimately scary.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Charlie Brooker is really a bit of a comedic genius. The rest of the show is funny but then there's that segment which is legitimately scary.

I dont know where he got that voiceover guy from, but his segments are usually pretty hard hitting. My favorite was the one about Nixon and the press, spooky stuff.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Watching that segment gave me a similar feel to when I watched this video about Metal Gear Solid 2 lol (it actually addresses some pretty big issues despite being about a videogame) but it just makes me feel really weird and want to look much closer at the world and question everything even though it will just make you feel more helpless like a pawn in a game of incomprehensible chess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

Great contribution from ean as usual

The easiest way for politicians to control the people is to instill fear. If you tell people that there are nasty people who are out to get/kill you they are more likely to look for the government to protect them. Do people really think the world is more dangerous than it has been in the past or do the government/media just tell us that to keep us living in fear?
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Watching that segment gave me a similar feel to when I watched this video about Metal Gear Solid 2 lol (it actually addresses some pretty big issues despite being about a videogame) but it just makes me feel really weird and want to look much closer at the world and question everything even though it will just make you feel more helpless like a pawn in a game of incomprehensible chess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

Whoa, I remember MGS2 being trippy and kinda messing with my head, but I didn't catch the majority of the point there. I guess I was too young at the time.
David Cameron tells us that he needs to ban whatsapp because people can chat to each other without the government being able to snoop in on our conversations and the Paris attacks justifies this. Or is it because people are messaging each other for free and not paying money to the big telecommunication companies which work with the government? I mean it's not as if terrorists planning an attack can meet up and talk to each other in person.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy a Super Bunnyhop fan! I fucking loved his critical close-ups and I still re-watch all of his videos once every few months or so.

Oh and all of this "infowars" bullshit is just that, bullshit. You can make any reality sound scary depending on the way you frame it.
If there is a God, it's me.
There are skeletons everywhere yet you can't see them...
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by gonzaw
MGS2 is cool. Minecraft too.
Was this thread about videogames?
I like to play Minecraft on hardcore mode so that when I die everything I've worked hard for will simply disappear.

Everything I've seen from Brooker is too real for me. I just want to keep being a sheep and say "bleep" and "oh dear" but watching his stuff makes me feel guilty about it.
Quote by rpd
Do people really think the world is more dangerous than it has been in the past or do the government/media just tell us that to keep us living in fear?

The world is more dangerous than it has been in the past.
I see it more as: in the past, the existential threat was much more individual; in the present, the existential threat is much more collective.
Last edited by Banjocal at Jun 9, 2016,