Hey guys -- I recently got a new guitar (you probably saw the NGD thread) and installed a Seymour Duncan Black Winter in the bridge. Anyway, I think I made a mistake somewhere in the wiring. Everything sounds fine when one pickup is selected (either one), but when both humbuckers are selected it is very noticeably quieter -- especially with the tone pot pulled out for coil-splitting -- I can have the clean channel moderately loud, but when I select both pups w/ coil-split it's like I've turned the amp's volume down two clicks or so.

Does this sound like the pups are out of phase with each other? If someone could explain that to me, I'd appreciate it!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
It does sound like a phase issue, yes. It will be a noticeable drop in volume and also very thin sounding with little to no bass. The way to fix that is to take the pickups apart and flip the magnets as far as I know.

This is the reason that you generally don't combine pickups from different manufacturers.

I could explain it, but this blog already did that so I just put in the link to it.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/pickup-polarity-and-phase-made-simple/
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
The way to fix that is to take the pickups apart and flip the magnets as far as I know.

Or you could just switch the hot and ground wires around like most people do.

If the tone sounds very thin then it's phase cancellation, just reverse the hot and ground wire for one of the pickups to fix it
^^Thanks, both of you! So I should try switching the green and red wires of my Black Winter pickup?
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Well, I should say there is a tone change too (but isn't there anyway when you go from one pickup to BOTH?). The only time I ever plan to use both pickups at the same time is when the amp is on clean and I've got them coil-split -- which consequently, is where it sounds the worst right now. I can turn the amp volume way up and it sounds alright, but then it's WAY too loud when I go back to one humbucker. It is indeed very thin sounding, but not in a bright, spanky way that a Strat can be -- it's just very quiet and thin.

As for whether it's in "parallel" or not -- I don't know what that means. I admit I'm no electrician, and need things explained to me in extreme layman's terms as far as that goes. The actual soldering was no big deal to me -- but understanding the wiring diagram was difficult considering my lack of a background in electronics. None of the diagrams I found online matched my guitar's setup exactly, for one thing. I have one volume knob, one push/pull tone pot, and a three-way selector switch.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
do you have a picture of the push/pull pot and the wiring you've done?

I use www.guitarelectronics.com for my wire diagrams and never have an issue, maybe give them am look.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by KailM
^^Thanks, both of you! So I should try switching the green and red wires of my Black Winter pickup?

Yes. From what you've described, I think that will solve your problem.
Quote by xnameisonx
Yes. From what you've described, I think that will solve your problem.

That did it -- she's firing on all cylinders now! It was actually the black wire that was the hot wire. Swapped it with the green wire and viola!

This guitar is amazingly versatile now -- does everything from Hendrixy blues to jazzy, dark cleans and then all the way to Immortal black metal tone. I'm in heaven!
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood