Hi everyone, I've been having a bizarre problem playing a chord correctly in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRmVVkf1hQ

It's very easy to see the artists fingering in the video, the chord I'm referring to is the second one in the video and the second chord in the 4 chord sequence that comprises the verses of the song.

From the video it quite obviously looks like hes playing 2-2-5-4-2-2 however it sounds completely wrong when I try to play it, all the other chords sound correct. I don't know if I'm seeing the fingering wrong in the video or one of the strings has been tuned differently or maybe he doesn't barre the entire fretboard or mutes some notes but I've tried everything I can think of, it sounds so far off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
x 2 5 4 x x

It's a G/B chord. Another (open) voicing for that chord would be x 2 0 0 0 x (or x 2 0 0 3 x) and it should sound pretty much the same.

If you can't figure out the exact voicing, just listen to the chord progression. Listen to the lowest note. Also, if you know the key, it will help. This is in the key of Am. So if you hear that the lowest note is B, there are basically three different basic triads that the chord could be: Bdim, G or Em. Those are the three chords in the key of Am that have a B note in them. (This won't always work - sometimes chord progressions also have notes outside of the key scale - but it helps. And most pop songs use pretty basic chord progressions.)

Also, you could listen to the chord quality - is it a major, minor, diminished or augmented chord? Major and minor are the most common ones.

So if you know what a major chord sounds like, you can figure out it's a major chord. Then you know the lowest note is B so which major chord in the key of Am has a B in it? G major is the only one.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 15, 2015,
Yeah it's a G major in first inversion (G/B) played as x 2 5 x x x

I don't think he's octaving the B so I don't think the 4 is being played as Maggara says
(But then again it might be, I dunno, play what feels right. Also the C is played as a power chord, definitely)