Hello!

So I am 19 years old and I started learning the guitar in October.. I try to practice on daily basis... some days I play for 30 mins others for an hour and other for 15 mins... depends on how much free time I've got and I am learning on my own.However, I don't really feel that I've made that much progress, I know a few riffs but I can't play fast things or things that require so much of switching between chords... like for instance I was trying to learn " Every breath you take" by The Police and It seems impossible for me to move my fingers that fast, plus my pinky keeps touching the string and mute it.

I am starting to think that it's too late to learn..... any help ? tips perhaps?

Thanks a lot !
Never too late man. I started when I was 29 and Im 31 now. Just gotta put the time in practicing. Id recommend a guitar instructor if you have the funds but other than that just start slow. Start with simple chord changes like G,D C, A. Go slow, its not a race. You'd rather have your chords sound nice and full vs soundling like shit. Do this a bit each day till you get the hang of it. Also invest in a metronome.
Never too late to learn, you have to keep in mind that learning to play an instrument is not an easy task, you you can't expect to be great after playing for 3 months.

Best thing you can do is forget about playing fast at the moment and focus on playing well. Slow down so you can control your pinky so it doesn't mute the strings, and slow down so you can play the parts properly. If you do something right enough times it becomes muscle memory and you will get better, if you play something wrong enough times that will also become muscle memory and you will have to spend a longer period of time un-learning those bad habits.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Every Breath You Take is an incredibly tricky rhythm part, I wouldn't beat yourself up over not being able to play it early on.

Guitar parts don't have to be particularly fast to be difficult, for example Mr Brightside by the Killers is an absolute killer of a riff to play, if you'll pardon the pun
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You've only been playing for a couple months and don't practice much either so how good do you think should be at this point?

Answer: Not very.
The way I got better and faster at changing chords was to take 3 or 4 chords I knew and randomly switch thru them while trying to stay on beat/time. Doesnt matter the order or what chords you use. Start out with 3 and switch thru those over and over again while strumming. When you feel comfortable with those, throw in a 4th or start with 3 new ones. Its gonna take practice, time, and ALOT of desire to be good.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by ezfr
Hello!

So I am 19 years old and I started learning the guitar in October..

I am starting to think that it's too late to learn..... any help ? tips perhaps?

Thanks a lot !

LOL you're only 19, and think you are late.. Wow this thread is ridiculous. Anyways go through this course it'll teach you everything you need to know about the basics.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php
^
Last edited by Black_devils at Jan 17, 2015,
Man. If I had started at 19. I started at 40. After three years I consider myself wildly inadequate at best. But, I have a decent list of songs I can bang out with some semi advanced progressions. To me the guitar is not about being "good". It's about the process of learning and spending my down time doing something that feels great. Don't get caught up in some imaginary end goal. Just enjoy the process.

This is the worlds greatest sig line ever!!
You just got to focus!

At least you have started.

The more you put into guitar or any other things in life the more you get out of them. It is that simple.

But to improve work on you weak spots. Right now you got many ahead of you. The things you can't play good, don't know etc.

To improve faster get a metronome and focus on what you want to learn until you are playing it 100% natural.

Take a slow tempo and strum a chord of choice. If it is a struggle slow it even further down but you will soon find the spot where you can follow. Once you got it slowly raise the tempo.

Keep doing that day after day and you will find that what you played stored as a habit in your subconsious mind. That is where all guitar habits are once you get them down and a metronome helps getting it down quickly due to the repetition.

Getting it down right is the key as it build confidence in your mind as progress.

The ideal as Randy Rhoads said was to learn something new everyday.

I hope this helps.
I started in oct also, I play 30 a day sometimes twice a day, and iam a little better.lol.
It takes time go to Justin guitar his lessons are awesome.
I know some chords A,AM,E.EM,D,G,C,and I just go back a fourth between these and try to make my own songs,lol I can kinda play 3 little birds it will take years and my chord changes are geting better just stick with it iam sure u are better then when u started,
Quote by ezfr
Hello!

So I am 19 years old and I started learning the guitar in October.. I try to practice on daily basis... some days I play for 30 mins others for an hour and other for 15 mins... depends on how much free time I've got and I am learning on my own.However, I don't really feel that I've made that much progress, I know a few riffs but I can't play fast things or things that require so much of switching between chords... like for instance I was trying to learn " Every breath you take" by The Police and It seems impossible for me to move my fingers that fast, plus my pinky keeps touching the string and mute it.

Thanks a lot !

It's never too late, but you need to practice more if you want to see real results and be a great player - 1 hour a day is really the bare minimum - you should put in 2 to 3 per day for a while to get past the initial guitar difficulty hump. Do that for a year and you'll be flying all over the fretboard.

There's no secret to getting good at guitar except practicing - a lot !
Last edited by reverb66 at Jan 16, 2015,
Never too late. Started at 56 years old. Couple years into it you wont see me on stage any time soon, but lovin every minute of it! Relax, and practice, practice, practice.
Invest in a metronome and start slow, seriously there is no other way. If you can't be slow, you can't be fast.
Oh well, oh well, oh well

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
Hello All,

It's never too late! If you like to play then play! Would you stop to have fun at 80 years old? It's the same thing.

The tune you want to play is maybe not the best one you can begin with. And, find a good teacher who is going to help you to start well and avoid loosing time.

I'll add a thing that I believe everyone will agree with is : Be patient! Learning the guitar takes a lot of practice and dedicated time. But, it is so funny! Take your time and I'll play like you want.
I had the exact same problem a year ago. I was learning how to play master of puppets, but I couldn't pick the main riff fast enough. I signed up for a few online lessons at www.WolfmansMusic.com and my instructor there showed me that I was using improper technique.

Can you post a video of you playing the song?
I started in September and tried learning from books and found it difficult so got a teacher I think I am terrible but my teacher guides and encourages me. My only goal is to progress and enjoy the experience. At 70 I do not consider myself too old.
I'm 43. I've been playing a year and have the same issues as you. I wish I was still 19, or had started then! LOL Keep at it young man! You don't master the guitar in a few months or even a few years. That's why it is so rewarding! If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Just learn to play some easier stuff first and the chics will dig it. LMAO

BTW, you need to do more than 15-30 minutes a day. Try at least an hour if not several. Look at on-line lessons like justinguitar or guitarjamz.
Quote by rohash
Just learn to play some easier stuff first and the chics will dig it. LMAO

Lol I wish I could go back in time to 16 year old me and tell him that no, playing guitar is not a magical chick magnet. I mean some will dig it but there's no general rule. But if you can sing and play? That's the real deal, seems to work a lot better.

Anyway, you should play more than 15 minutes a day. I'd say 30 minutes at minimum.

Perhaps the #1 key thing in learning guitar is learning to learn, and it will take time.

Keep pushing yourself, but if you can't hear your notes ringing clearly, reduce the tempo.
Quote by Virgman
You've only been playing for a couple months and don't practice much either so how good do you think should be at this point?

Answer: Not very.

You didn't have to be a dick, they were only asking for advice.
Thanks everyone for the responses and advices I mentioned the age thing because it seems to me that most of the awesome guitar players out there started playing at early ages... And I really enjoy practicing even though I suck xD but the problem is, I am studying engineering, and it's really hard to make enough time for it.However I am planning to start putting an hour and half into practicing starting from next semester