Hey dudes and dudettes, first time poster. I'm an avid guitarist and gear head, and I'm looking for some solid advice. I recently had to downsize my rig from an Orange TH30 head and Orange 2x12 Cab (closed back with vintage 30s), great tones and versatility and a lot of meat (chunky sound). Typically I play with an American strat and an American les Paul. I ADORED the clean sound of that amp, and the distortion wasn't to bad either. Now I'm looking for a replacement, that I can play in my flat (at reasonable volumes) and still get great tones. An FX loop is a must and I'm thinking a 1x12 closed back cab will help with retaining some low end, but I'm at a loss for Amps and could do with some recommendations. Valve pre and power sections are also a must. Power scaling is helpful up not necessary, but the 30 watts the orange put out was just far too much for me.
The TH30 had some real fender-like cleans, but in general I like my crunch to be British and mid forward sounding. If only they made a 10 watt version of that orange! I really dig the orange vibe generally. If the front end takes drive pedals well that's a plus definitely.
I know this is super specific but hopefully some input should help me. Budget of 750ish dollars not set in stone if I found something I really liked.

Look forward to your input guys!

Tom
Small amps don't sound better than big amps at low volumes.

In fact, everything sounds better at higher volumes until the points where it starts hurting.
That's because of the fletcher-munson curves and the fact that guitar speakers are heavy and difficult to move and they distort signals in not really pleasant ways when they play stuff at fairly low volumes.

So, power scaling from 30w to 10w would give you a reduction in maximum volume of about 4.5dB, which could simply be compensated for on the 30w amp by turning the volume down a bit.

The reason why one might want to get a small amp is to get power tube distortion, and to do so at fairly low volumes you would need a 1w or less amp.

So, have you already sold your amp?
'cause you might wanna keep it.

If you sold the amp already then either get a better tone at lower volumes by getting a POD and relatively small powered speakers/monitors, or keep your beloved analog orange tone without being able to get a much better tone at low volumes that you were able to get with the TH30 by buying something like a dual terror and a PPC112.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
You could get something like an Orange Tiny Terror combo+overdrive. Or The head version and an Orange PPC1x12. Or you could get a Hearley Benton 2x12 closed back cab if you're in Europe(but I'm guessing you're not because the American stuff)
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Thanks guys, I'm based in the UK. I appreciate that tone is going to be much tastier at higher volumes, more speakers more low end etc, and working my pre and power sections is going to end in much tastier saturation, but due to space and volume constraints it's not possible to keep my head and cab, so a 1x12 is looking like my best bet. I understand the premise of lower volumes affecting my tone, but this is what I have to settle with unfortunately.
Thanks for the advice.

Like I said I'm looking for some lovely chimey cleans, but would like to have a bit of low end meaty OD also.

I've not had great success with the terror range, a find them a bit muddy for my taste personally.
A V30 I think is the option for me.

Appreciate the feedback guys
Quote by Tslleach
Thanks guys, I'm based in the UK. I appreciate that tone is going to be much tastier at higher volumes, more speakers more low end etc, and working my pre and power sections is going to end in much tastier saturation, but due to space and volume constraints it's not possible to keep my head and cab, so a 1x12 is looking like my best bet. I understand the premise of lower volumes affecting my tone, but this is what I have to settle with unfortunately.
Thanks for the advice.

Like I said I'm looking for some lovely chimey cleans, but would like to have a bit of low end meaty OD also.

I've not had great success with the terror range, a find them a bit muddy for my taste personally.
A V30 I think is the option for me.

Appreciate the feedback guys

Then a Tine or Dual Terror plus a Harley Benton 1x12 vintage from Thomann is a great choice.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Tslleach
I understand the premise of lower volumes affecting my tone, but this is what I have to settle with unfortunately.
If you knew what I said already then why have you sold your rig?
And if you didn't sell it already why are you still looking for something else?
Quote by Fryderyczek
Then a Tine or Dual Terror plus a Harley Benton 1x12 vintage from Thomann is a great choice.
He wrote he didn't like the terror series.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
It's going because I've moved cities due to a job and now live in a tiny flat with both noise and space restraints. I apologise if I came across as a know it all, it's just pointless to hold onto it for use at home, and I don't have any other use for it at the moment if you follow. Maybe I should have said a bedroom style amp might be a good idea. Going with a 1x12 seemed the best compromise of low end versus volume, correct me if I'm wrong there.
Thanks guys.
Quote by Spambot_2
If you knew what I said already then why have you sold your rig?
And if you didn't sell it already why are you still looking for something else?

He wrote he didn't like the terror series.

Oh, right, sorry. Didn't see that.
Fly on, fly on
Get a volume pedal or volume box

Put this as the last thing in the fx loop chain. What your doing is adding another master volume in the loop. This works extremely well. The Hot box is only $20ish on ebay and well worth a shot Vs what your thinking about doing.

Also lift the cab off the ground and put it on a chair or stand, this will reduce the bass rumbling your neighbors.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I haven't tried it, but there's a th30 combo (captain obvious to the rescue, right? ). might be a little smaller than your previous head/cab setup if you know you like the amp. though hardly what you'd call a bedroom amp either i suppose.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?