i tried to put a gfs crunchy pat in the bridge position and i cannot get it to work. ive tried gfs's wiring and i tried seymour duncans wiring, i even tried seprating the white and red wire and soldering them seperately to the switch. i have ground the bare braid to pot. im also new to soldering. just ready to give up at this point. its a way switch btw. the gfs pickup has 5 wires and the old ibanez pickup only had 3, a white, red, and bare braided. the gfs has black, green, red/white, and bare braid. thanks.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I've had good luck with GFS pickups, I'm sure you used their color code but lets just go over it anyways.

lets first assume you don't have a multimeter and this is how I'd go about doing so

the first thing I'd check for is if the red and white wire soldered together are touching anything inside the control cavity. If so use electric tape or heat shrink tubing.

the the next common issue I fix/find in guitars is that the red/white wire are not soldered together sometimes. As we know the north finish and south start have to be soldered together. Without it you won't get any sound.

the next thing I'd do is re-evaluate the wiring.
black and bare on the pickup must be ground
green is the only wire going to the selectors hot lead
the wiring diagram can be found on seymour duncans page, remember to use GFS color code. Some reason every pickup company feels the need to use different colors.

assuming you do have a multimeter set it to 20k in ohms and press down on the ground wires on one probe and the red wire on the other and look for a reading. You get 4 readings.

peak resistance (full power) - green on one probe black and bare on probe 2
a classic coilsplit - black / bare (probe 1) and red/white probe 2
parallel wiring - green/black (probe 1) - red/white/bare (probe 2)

hope I could help, here's a visual version of the color code to go by
i made sure i soldered the red and white and i soldered the green into position one. and the black to the pot. i hear a hum but i get no sound out of the pickup. there is two open spots on the 5 way switch, i tried both.

after moving the green wire to the other spot, i get sound, its just really really weak. like no distortion at all even with high gain on.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Jan 15, 2015,
That is strange. I'll see if I can help any more. There is life in the pickup considering there is hum. I'd complain to GFS about this if you haven't already.

try tapping the pickup and seeing if it's just one coil in the weak position where there is hum and buzz. If so you've done a coilsplit where you're accentuating on one coil in a humbucker.

The weaker signal sounds like a parallel wiring. You're almost there. Just try another combination and see if there's any difference.This is also referred to as a coiltap. The difference is less volume but no hum. I like this for soloing when I need a drop in output.

Write down the combinations you've tried and just keep at it, you'll get it. It's so much easier if you've got a multimeter. I was given one by someone who worked at a power plant and have used it the past 5 years.
i think the problem might be i only am replacing the bridge pick up and not both. maybe it was wired a certain way. the original pickup was a braid ground and a red wire connect to the first hole on the switch and a white in another.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
did black/red in one hole and white/green in another. for future reference. and it finally worked.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
That is good to hear. Which GFS pickup did you go with in the guitar?

With the Ibanez RG350 I had with 3 wire pickups on it they did this mod to the selector which was a factory mod. Pretty much the selector and wiring was normal but the coiltapping wire was put into the selector for this mod called the "auto-split" mod.

this is how the wiring was
i dont really care about coil tapping. i went with the crunchy pat. had one in an agile before, big upgrade over the v8. my first time ever soldering, it wasnt pretty haha. gotta start somewhere. this guitar is mainly for heavier stuff, im gonna try and grab a used strat to mod later for mellower stuff.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
good idea that is how I started modding guitars. Sites like craigslist you could get a beat up used guitar for peanuts and either fix it up for a profit and something to do during the weekend or learn. I had a strat body laying around trying this and that for about a year. If I had my time back I'd probably get a cheap les paul. I despise the shape but because there is so many holes in it to customize stuff why not. Although I suppose you can drill into pickguards.

my biggest tip besides 60/40 rosin core solder and tinning everything is to solder flat to the backs of the pots. For guitar bodies guitarfetish.com has a clearance blowout to get stuff cheap if you are after something to practice on. A multimeter is an investment though. It's helped me many times.

this I use every day though for custom wiring harnesses when customers ask me. It's a stack of cardboard from discarded boxes taped together and I drilled 5 holes through it. The 5th hole is a container to hold screws and so forth. The sponge and all is my own idea added onto this youtubers idea.
im actually gonna need a new switch, one of the lugs broke off the circuit bored, i finally got the right wire combo, now i just need a new switch lol. any rocommendations?
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A