Hey so I am planning an ambitious first guitar build for myself and long list short its going to be a multiscale 7 string and I don't want to spend a few grand on pickups that do all the bells and whistles I want. So I have chosen to built the pickups as well.
So I need the pickups to be able to coil tap and I would like to be able to choose either side of the pickup as well as the whole thing.
My over all wiring plan (with my little experience with electronics) is to i guess have a 3 way switch to each pickup and another 3 way to navigate between the pickups themselves. 1 volume and 1 tone pot. but i would also like to have a piezo pickup under the bridge. I also have little knowledge of those and their wiring capabilities. Can i wire a volume to it and just have it go out the same jack and just use my volumes to switch between the piezo and the other pickups?
So my main questions again are
-how to build a humbucking pickup
-make said pickup coil tap-able on both coils
-what would be the best way to wire in all the switches and knobs for the pickups and the piezo all out one jack.
Any advice is appreciated!
-guitar to be made with a 5 piece neck of birds eye maple, purple heart, and black wood. neck through with a 15 ish degree twist like torzals. purple heart body wings with cocobolo tops. ebony fret board 25.5 -28 inch scale length.
You're better off asking this in the building and customizing section.

In short a humbucker is two single coils out of phase, a humbucker you can coil tap is a humbucker that has outputs for each single coil, and for the way to wire the whole thing you need to write down a schematic 'cause it's not something that simple.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I think with the cost and headache of building your own pickups, you will be much better buying good ones that you know will sound good. Dimarzio has the crunchlab/liquifire for like $150 together, even Bareknuckles will come in at less than four hundred. The wire used to wind pickups if very small and I've heard you will spend alot of time winding by hand and if it breaks, which it will ALOT when you are learning, you get to start over. So you are looking at lots more wire than you actually need plus all the parts for the pickup. As far as making them coil splittable, you are only looking at two more wires soldered to the pickups I believe so not a big deal. Then after you go through all of this and dump all the time which could be spent working on the guitar, you could realize that the pickups you wound sound like garbage and lose that money. I don't know if your, or anyone else, first attempt at winding a pickup wouldn't sound any better than a GFS. I'm sure you are looking at alot of time and money learning a skill that probably won't sound as good as the money put in, and could be better spent in other areas of the guitar.

Just food for thought.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Jan 16, 2015,
If you're looking to learn how to build pickups and be a maker, that's one thing, and good for you. Realize, as others have pointed out, it will involve a significant amount of time, effort and money learning how to do so before you'll ba able to do so at a commercial level of competence.

If you just want to do this to say you can? Not worth it, IMHO- buy some pickups. You're not making your own bridge or tuners, are you?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
the bridge is 7 separate pieces, and its a fanned fret guitar that im going to build. the pole spots are going to be in very different positions to make the pickup align with the strings near the bridge in its "correct" placement to accompany the bridges positioning. I don't mind taking the time and trying a few times to get it right with the pickup. I just don't know where I can get some really good sounding pickups that are angled like that. Ive heard that most fanned fret guitars have some crappy pickups. Skervesen guitars look similar to what I want to build, but i think my bridge position is going to be a little more drastic. but they give you an idea of what im trying to do. i dont want to be spending 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a pickup. I don't think ill be spending that on wire and magnets to try to make it myself. i may buy the neck pickup though, save that hassle. the positioning should be fine for that.
Quote by jonnash
the bridge is 7 separate pieces, and its a fanned fret guitar that im going to build. the pole spots are going to be in very different positions to make the pickup align with the strings near the bridge in its "correct" placement to accompany the bridges positioning. I don't mind taking the time and trying a few times to get it right with the pickup. I just don't know where I can get some really good sounding pickups that are angled like that. Ive heard that most fanned fret guitars have some crappy pickups. Skervesen guitars look similar to what I want to build, but i think my bridge position is going to be a little more drastic. but they give you an idea of what im trying to do. i dont want to be spending 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a pickup. I don't think ill be spending that on wire and magnets to try to make it myself. i may buy the neck pickup though, save that hassle. the positioning should be fine for that.

If you rate your hourly wage at $10 hour, you may end up spending far more than that getting it the way you want it.

I would start here though:
http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Trade_Secrets/Build_your_own_custom_pickups.html

Or:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+make+guitar+pickups
Quote by jonnash

You're assuming you can master a trade, mastered by few, for one guitar. Sure some of any guitar come with shit pickups. You can also get some great pickups for many guitars. You can even email bareknuckle pickups the exact specs for your guitar and what kind of music you will be playing through what kind of gear and they will give you awesome advice. How? Because they know how to get the most out of pickups though certain gear. How do they know this? I'm speculating, but I would venture a guess that they have spent as many hours as most have played guitar on winding pickups to get a specific tone and have used that knowledge to eventually expand into a trade in which they have excelled at. OR, they have been amazingly lucky and born with an exceptional talent. Either way, I seriously doubt, without spending a hefty portion of the guitar alone's cost, you could even get close to the quality of a really good dimarzio or bareknuckle pickup with even several attempts.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent