So I want to change the pickups in my HSS Strat.

I mainly want to change the Humbucker (for now) in the bridge to something with more mids and smoother highs... also it needs to sound amazing when the coils are split.

The pickups I have in there right now are rated (from neck to bridge) 9.2, 9.8, 13.5ish and the magnets are A2, A2, A5. I don't want the HB to have lower output then what's in there if anything I would want more.

Right now I'm very interested in a lot of what Bare Knuckle Pickups has to offer, also was interested in the Muy Grande by Rio Grande but I've kind have lost interest after reading forums and listening to sound samples.

the BKP I'm considering from what I've heard/read are;

Abraxas - I really like the vintage sweetness this pickup has and am wondering if the A4 magnet will help it have more of a seamless blend with the A2 single coils I have in the N/M ATM.

Rebel Yell - Sounds very organic, bouncy and punchy clean & distorted.

Crawler/Nailbomb/Holy Diver - they all sound very similar to me but have slightly different characteristics, and I feel that the higher output would make the coil-split more usable.

If anybody has some other suggestions for pickups to consider I would be down to hear them...

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by MindIsMaster at Jan 16, 2015,
what pickups are in there already?

I'd say (from my very limited experience, though I think I've heard other people say this too) that BKPs are probably less compressed-sounding than other pickups (at least from the major machine-wound manufacturers like dimarzio and duncan) at the same output rating, so that'd be worth bearing in mind, depending on how compressed you like things to sound.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hate compressed pickups, the more open and organic the better.

The pickups that are in there are an obscure boutique brand that I had made... there's a long annoying story behind that but I don't feel like re-posting it.
Last edited by MindIsMaster at Jan 16, 2015,
fair enough. if you don't want compressed you might want to go lower in output, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Duncan JB, vintage rails, cool rails. This demo has 2/3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGeh9FwYCqs
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
probably look into oil city, mojo (there are two mojos in the UK, one in england and one in northern ireland ), catswhisker, shed and the creamery as well. there are probably a load more too. I haven't tried any of those, fwiw.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?