hi guys, i mostly play metal and cant find a decent tone on the vox VT20+ for my style of playing. I plan on trading it today for a Line 6 Spider II 210 which i have heard good reviews on, is it worth the trade?

Cheers
No.

The Vox is a great practice amp, albeit one that isn't designed for metal.

The Line 6 Spider is generally considered a contender for worst amp ever.

If you want a practice amp that is good for metal, check out the Peavey Vypyr range.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Please do not do that. You would have a better wealth transfer giving me the VT 20+ and then buying yourself a new amp.

Try putting a tubescreamer-like overdrive in front of the VT 20+ on a metal setting. You'll get a good tone. If you really want to get a different amp, Roland's cubes are good. I have a 20X, and I'm able to get some gnarly metal tones. You'll still want to get a boost overdrive, though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 16, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane

Try putting a tubescreamer-like overdrive in front of the VT 20+ on a metal setting. You'll get a good tone.

any suggestions on which one to get? might try get a second hand one today
i thought it might be silly but honestly i really think the vox VT20+ is shite.

Doesnt suit my playing style what so ever
Quote by Rikah
any suggestions on which one to get? might try get a second hand one today

Ibanez Tubescreamer, Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Digitech Bad Monkey, etc.

Try it out first. Use the overdrive to push the amp's distortion harder. Put the VT 20+ on a heavy crunch, but not entirely metal just yet. Then max your volume on the overdrive, use the gain to thicken up to taste, and use the tone knob to taste.

Just whatever you do, don't get the spider.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 16, 2015,
I use a bad monkey to boost my gain channel ,can't go wrong with it .
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Quote by GaryBillington
No.

The Vox is a great practice amp, albeit one that isn't designed for metal.

The Line 6 Spider is generally considered a contender for worst amp ever.

If you want a practice amp that is good for metal, check out the Peavey Vypyr range.

This.

Trading your Vox for the Line 6 Spider would be a VERY poor trade on your part.
You might as well trade your Vox for a bucket of cow shit.
Get a Vypyr instead.
Modeling amps don't always take pedals that well so try the OD through your amp before buying it.

But yeah, don't get the Spider. I haven't tried a Vypyr but they get a lot of praise here and should do metal and rock pretty well.

I remember playing through a Vox VT. At first I didn't like them at all but then I started finding some good tones. But yeah, maybe not the most ideal amp for metal.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I have tried the VT 20+ by itself, and I liked it for the price it is. I have used an overdrive with an older Valvetronix model (AD50VT) and it sounded good as well.

As I said before, you could trade your VT 20+ for a Roland Cube of some sort, the heavy distortion modeling would be beneficial to you.
NO!

Just no...

You will regret it about 3 seconds after you plug it in.

The Vox's are quite nice. Not the best practice amp i have ever tried, but pretty decent.

The spiders.... come second on my worst amp of all time list. (only beaten by the marshall MG) Just horrible every where.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
The VT series works great with overdrive in front, my buddy uses the BBE Green Screamer with his, although I think you can probably dial in overdrive from the amp as well?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/BBE-Used-BBE-Green-Screamer-Overdrive-Effect-Pedal-110821159-i4120261.gc

Try this - put the amp on UK Metal or one of the other high gain models on the right of that, dial it in for just a little more distortion than crunch, then add Treble Boost, Tube OD or Gold Drive and dial in some gain on that setting as well, in essence it is the same as overdrive in front of amp.

There is also a 3 levels of voicings on the amp settings: Green, Orange, Red so try changing that as well.

BTW< Heck no to the trade!!!!
Last edited by diabolical at Jan 16, 2015,
You'll regret that trade if you do it. You might think the VT is shit but I can guarantee the Spider is shitter if not the shittest.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
When offered a Spyder, just say no.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
thanks guys - all useful information

Im getting a pedal on monday which is a Ibanez TS5 with a TS-808 mod installed
im going to have a bit more patience for the vox VT20+ and try it out with the tube screamer
^ Try the pedal first before buying it. And try it through your amp.

I mean, a Tube Screamer won't turn a crap tone into an awesome tone.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 17, 2015,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Modeling amps don't always take pedals that well so try the OD through your amp before buying it.

But yeah, don't get the Spider. I haven't tried a Vypyr but they get a lot of praise here and should do metal and rock pretty well.

I remember playing through a Vox VT. At first I didn't like them at all but then I started finding some good tones. But yeah, maybe not the most ideal amp for metal.

Very true.
Most modeling amps don't take to dirt pedals very well.
The Vox VT series is not among that list though.