Hi everyone,

I'm planning to replace the pickups of my Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony, bought in 2009). The sound that I currently have doesn't really satisfy me, so I really want to change to something new. I'm considering these humbuckers:

- Bridge: Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB or SH-14 Custom 5
- Neck: Seymour Duncan SH-2N Jazz or SH-1N '59

I play lots of alternative rock and indie music (I play a lot of Killers songs), so I want something that fits my style. I also like to play classic rock, hard rock and blues once in a while.

I don't have any knowledge about guitar electronics, so I hope you guys can help me out with making my choice.

Thanks in advance!
The JB/Jazz combination is popular, and I like the Jazz very much. - I have them (bridge and neck) in two guitars. However, I'm not so keen on the JB in standard series wiring, it was too muddy in the guitar in which I had it, but as I say, it is popular and mine is likely a minority opinion. With your innterest I might go for a 59 or Pearly Gates in the bridge.
I also like the SD '59s. In the neck, they partner VERY nicely with the SD SH-4JB in the bridge. They also work well as a bridge pickup- that's what Godin uses in the Belmont.

Also look at RailHammer Chisel and HyperVintage pickups.

You might want to consider the P90 sound: they're very versatile, residing tonally somewhere between humbuckers and standard singlecoils. P90s are all over alt/indie rock, and they pop up in blues, hard rock & metal too.

Fortunately, there are humbucker-sized P90s available from many makers, so you wouldn't have to reroute your guitar like you would for regular P90s.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 16, 2015,
I have a set of the railhammer's Hammer and Chisel set. They are really high quality and strong.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I'm not sure you need something as hot as a JB or even a custom 5 for the stuff you play. I'd be tempted to go paf or hot-paf style pickup in the bridge. either the jazz or '59 in the neck would work, there shouldn't be much of a problem with either of those.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?