hi everyone,

I have a ibanez rg350 (HSH) and i decided to change all set of those pickups. However i don't know so much about the pickup world so i need some help.

i usually play guitar solos of Steve Vai, etc. And also i like the tone of Slash's solo sometimes. So probably Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio could be my best options.

I would like to see some suggestions of a complete set of pickups. Don't really concern about budget. THanks.
JB/Jazz or JB/59 combos are super versatile and work for pretty much any genre. Or if you are really after the slash sound, you could get a set of his signature pickups although they are pretty pricey.

Do you use the middle pickup much? In my HSH guitar i changed out the stock pickups for Warman Rail pickups and wired the guitar HH and left the middle pickup out of circuit since i never use it and found it didnt sound great anyways.

Theres a 90% chance someone here will tell you tone is in your amp, while i find that is true and good pickups will sound crap through a little fender practice amp, but good pickups through a crap amp will still sound better than crap pickups through a crap amp, if you get what I'm saying?

Personally i hate stock pickups and usually end up changing them for a Seymour Duncan Passive combo of some kind. Haven't had too much experience with Dimarzio personally, but they are usually a bit more expensive than Duncans.

If you're not sure where to start look into SD pickups and find a set right for you, i wouldnt worry about the middle pickup too much tbh.
Quote by zach9600
JB/Jazz or JB/59 combos are super versatile and work for pretty much any genre. Or if you are really after the slash sound, you could get a set of his signature pickups although they are pretty pricey.

Do you use the middle pickup much? In my HSH guitar i changed out the stock pickups for Warman Rail pickups and wired the guitar HH and left the middle pickup out of circuit since i never use it and found it didnt sound great anyways.

Theres a 90% chance someone here will tell you tone is in your amp, while i find that is true and good pickups will sound crap through a little fender practice amp, but good pickups through a crap amp will still sound better than crap pickups through a crap amp, if you get what I'm saying?

Personally i hate stock pickups and usually end up changing them for a Seymour Duncan Passive combo of some kind. Haven't had too much experience with Dimarzio personally, but they are usually a bit more expensive than Duncans.

If you're not sure where to start look into SD pickups and find a set right for you, i wouldnt worry about the middle pickup too much tbh.

I appreciate your long reply. Totally agree with your idea of amps and pickups. I put out the same thread in other forums several times and basically every reply was like "change to a high end amp man" which is not helpful at all for me.

Personally I don't usually use the middle one because I hate that buzzing sound so I'm not too worry about that one. If I have enough budget I would change the middle one to something sounds pretty soft like a strat does.

The only question I got here is that I heard jazz or 59 are mid-gain pickups so that it can't work pretty well for some rhythm thing. I don't play really tough metals but I wonder if they work for me.

Of course it would be pretty nice if you can tell me more about SD products. Thanks.
what amp do you have?

what sort of era of vai do you want?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had a HSH partscaster that sounded great. I had a DiMarzio Air Norton in the bridge and Air classic in the neck and had a DiMarzio Cruizer in the middle. I had a seperate on off for the middle pickup and a volume for it. It was pretty cool to dial in just a bit of the out of phase spank on something. With a rails type of single coil sized pickup you won't get any hum either.

I don't generally use that much gain though so your mileage may vary but it handled gain very well too. Maybe for what you want a FRED or Evolution. Tried the Fred it was not that good for rhythm but did get that kind of lead tone. It might be too hot for the set too the Air Norton and Air classic had great balance.
Quote by tiger_sheng
I appreciate your long reply. Totally agree with your idea of amps and pickups. I put out the same thread in other forums several times and basically every reply was like "change to a high end amp man" which is not helpful at all for me.

Well, they're helping more than you may realize- changing your amp will have a much more profound effect on your tone than a pickup change. However, that doesn't mean you have to pay a lot to improve your sound because there are some very good, inexpensive amps out there.

Personally I don't usually use the middle one because I hate that buzzing sound so I'm not too worry about that one. If I have enough budget I would change the middle one to something sounds pretty soft like a strat does.

What buzzing sound? Do you mean the hum of a singlecoil picking up other electrical fields?

Because there ARE very quiet and even noisless singlecoil or singlecoil-sized options. Lace has quite a few including the Alumitone series. Or you could get something like a rail-style singlecoil-sized humbucker.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LAC2105606?siid=89911&gclid=CKGN7ZSmm8MCFQsFaQodnGgAIg

http://www.samash.com/seymour-duncan-shr1-hot-rails-electric-guitar-pickup-bridge-black-sshr1bbk?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Guitars-_-Channeladvisor-_-Seymour+Duncan+SHR1+Hot+Rails+Electric+Guitar+Pickup+(Bridge,+Black)&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1594743608&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=500002510000028166&cadevice=t&gclid=CJ60vfWlm8MCFZOBaQodCQMA8Q

The only question I got here is that I heard jazz or 59 are mid-gain pickups so that it can't work pretty well for some rhythm thing. I don't play really tough metals but I wonder if they work for me.

The '59 & JB is a classic combo, pretty good and flexible, capable of handling classic rock to older metal styles.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 17, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
what amp do you have?

what sort of era of vai do you want?

I'm using a small Marshall practice combo and boss effects.

The ideal sound should be like For the Love of God.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, they're helping more than you may realize- changing your amp will have a much more profound effect on your tone than a pickup change. However, that doesn't mean you have to pay a lot to improve your sound because there are some very good, inexpensive amps out there.

What buzzing sound? Do you mean the hum of a singlecoil picking up other electrical fields?

Because there ARE very quiet and even noisless singlecoil or singlecoil-sized options. Lace has quite a few including the Alumitone series. Or you could get something like a rail-style singlecoil-sized humbucker.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LAC2105606?siid=89911&gclid=CKGN7ZSmm8MCFQsFaQodnGgAIg

http://www.samash.com/seymour-duncan-shr1-hot-rails-electric-guitar-pickup-bridge-black-sshr1bbk?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Guitars-_-Channeladvisor-_-Seymour+Duncan+SHR1+Hot+Rails+Electric+Guitar+Pickup+(Bridge,+Black)&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1594743608&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=500002510000028166&cadevice=t&gclid=CJ60vfWlm8MCFZOBaQodCQMA8Q

The '59 & JB is a classic combo, pretty good and flexible, capable of handling classic rock to older metal styles.

Well I agree with what you said. However it's hard for me to get a new amp in my studio because of family conditions and budget. I can usually rent a good one for performance however changing pickups would probably the best option for my studio thing.

also thanks for the explanation about the middle pickup.
Quote by Zhaezzy
I had a HSH partscaster that sounded great. I had a DiMarzio Air Norton in the bridge and Air classic in the neck and had a DiMarzio Cruizer in the middle. I had a seperate on off for the middle pickup and a volume for it. It was pretty cool to dial in just a bit of the out of phase spank on something. With a rails type of single coil sized pickup you won't get any hum either.

I don't generally use that much gain though so your mileage may vary but it handled gain very well too. Maybe for what you want a FRED or Evolution. Tried the Fred it was not that good for rhythm but did get that kind of lead tone. It might be too hot for the set too the Air Norton and Air classic had great balance.

Thanks. Have you tried Evo yet?
Quote by tiger_sheng
Well I agree with what you said. However it's hard for me to get a new amp in my studio because of family conditions and budget. I can usually rent a good one for performance however changing pickups would probably the best option for my studio thing.

I understand, but you may be better off selling that Marshall and replacing it with something better.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I understand, but you may be better off selling that Marshall and replacing it with something better.

Music feeds the rich and buries the poor
Quote by tiger_sheng
Thanks. Have you tried Evo yet?

No I have not tried it yet. From what I have heard ti is more like the FRED since that is what he used before he had a signature pickup. that means a more focused midrange. Don't hold me to it.

http://dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/medium-power?view=grid

Look at DiMarzio's site they describe their pickups pretty well overall. Give you EQ and power out so it gives you an idea of what you are getting before you get it. I did put together a few partscasters and usually used DiMarzio PU's in them because they are described better so there are less surprises.
i would go for the crunch lab/liquifier, or a tone zone/air notrotn.

i have one of each set of them both in two of my three ibanez RG Prestiges.

really a tossup, similar enough but also different
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by tiger_sheng
I'm using a small Marshall practice combo and boss effects.

The ideal sound should be like For the Love of God.

Ok, thanks. I think he used a 7 string on that, dimarzio Blazes I think. According to dimarzio the bridge version is like a steve's special (but I haven't tried either). I think on 6 strings at that time he was using paf pros.

as danny said it'll sound more like vai through a suitable amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Whats the exact model for the amp do you have? I have a Marshall MG15CDR, I have mic'd and gigged with it before(bar setting) and got really good tones out of it, but I leave it on clean and use pedals to get my sound. Mind you my sound is nothing like Vai.

If you want to drastically change your tone without using a lot of money I suggest you get a multi-effects pedal. I have a couple of budget digitech pedals that are great, just know that you actually have to spend a good amount of time with them and tweak and tweak and tweak to find those sweet tones. Also I do have to reinforce what the other guys said though, a good amp goes a long way.

Is there any way for you to record and share what your setup sounds like at the moment? That would be the most helpful thing to do.