Hi everybody,

I am searching for a small travel guitar with full scale and without a headstock – an integrated amp with headphone jack would be very nice, but isn't a must. As the market for this seem to be smaller than I thought, this probably is the only real choice I found:

http://www.travelerguitar.com/electric/item/eg-1-custom

Looks nice, but if anybody has an even better recommendation, it would be nice if you could let me know. Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Jan 18, 2015,
Wouldn't a Steinberger be the obvious choice?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 19, 2015,
Quote by HomerSGR
Wouldn't a Steinberger be the obvious choice?

Well, they don't have built-in speakers, but partnered with a device like a POD or Px4 and some headphones, that's less of an issue.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The Carvin Holdsworth Headless is a full 10" shorter than most guitars (headless, doncha know) but has a full 25.5" scale and a well-balanced body (plays well sitting down as well, which can't be said for most travel guitars). http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/hh2

The VoyageAir guitars http://www.voyageairguitar.com/guitars are available in several acoustic *and* electric versions, and FOLD. When you get to your destination and unfold them, they're actually mostly in tune, and it's nearly impossible to tell that you're playing a "travel" guitar.
After many years, the Chrysalis- renamed the Ridgewing- is finally being released as a commercial product:
http://www.ridgewing.com

Quote by Ramblin'Man
If you are looking for a full scale "gigable" travel guitar, you might want to check out the Strobel Rambler Professional Electric Travel Guitar. It also comes apart to fit in a briefcase or computer bag.

New profile called Ramblin'Man bumping a thread to suggest a Rambler guitar, that also happens to be his profile pic....???

Reported for advertising.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I got a Hofner Shorty for Xmas. It's fairly cheap compared to the other travel guitars. I'm very happy with it, nice and light. Sounds good...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/hofner-shorty-electric-travel-guitar

Review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vZn4qVuMSk

EDIT: Just realized TS wanted a built in amp or headphone jack, I use it with my iRig on my iphone...
Last edited by iamthehub at Feb 24, 2015,
VoyageAir has both acoustic and electric (full size) that FOLD for traveling. Unfold them, lock them down and play them (they'll usually either in tune or pretty close).

http://www.voyageairguitar.com/

This is, I believe, a Voyage-Air that's being marketed by Fender:

I went through this exercise some time ago and concluded that for me a travel style guitar was a waste of money! Many came with gig bags offering no real protection and cost as much as a standard guitar. I'd still have to buy a case as well. The travel guitars I tried where not something I would enjoy playing at home when I have full sized guitars on hand so the guitar would only be played when out on business. I bought an SE245 with the idea of buying a decent travel case for it so it can be safely checked in as over-sized baggage. I was thinking about an iRIG HD but dspellman mentioned the Korg Pandora so I bought a mini for about the cost of the iRIG and I don't have to buy anymore amplitude SW or worry about using my iPhone. Now I have a guitar I'd be comfortable travelling with that I can enjoy playing at home as well. YMMV
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
The travel guitars I tried where not something I would enjoy playing at home when I have full sized guitars on hand so the guitar would only be played when out on business.

I agree that I never play the travel guitar except when on the road. However when lugging your stuff from the car to the hotel, the smaller guitar is easier to carry on your shoulder when your hands are full with suitcase, laptop bag, bags of munchies etc... only need one trip Having a guitar with me makes the evenings go by faster - not to mention, keeps me out of trouble on the road
Something else to consider: small luthiers like Jon Kammerer and Rock Beach offer full-sized guitars with small bodies. They'll set you back by $1200+, but they are 100% gig ready.

I don't think TS still comes by here anymore haha.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Hey, was searching for EG-1 posts and saw this. Don't know if you got one but this will be helpful if you did...

I have had one for years and I love it. It has great sustain and tone and playability, full size neck and 22 frets. I bought it for portability but have used it on-stage many times. As a back up it fits nice out of sight on stage until I break a string on my Strat or need a humbucker. At any rate, it always gets comments. It is not a joke guitar but definitely needed a few essential mods to bring it up to par.

The staying in tune and restringing problems were probably the worst issues. Too many friction points for the string to catch and restringing was ridiculous. The following mods all but cured that.
1. I swapped out the tuners for Schaller mini top-locking tuners (M6). Have to be those because the regular locking tuners won't fit in the body. The locking tuners reduced the slipping at the tuner and improved tuning issues. Also made restringing 100 times easier.
2. I removed the spacer disks between the rollers. This eliminates the friction between string rollers.
3. I upgraded the bridge to a Schaller Les Paul bridge.
4. Probably the most important, I removed the neck and removed about 1/8 inch wood from the heel (where the back of the neck meets the body). This lowered the fretboard closer to the body. When you put in back on you will need to lower the bridge to bring the strings (action) down to the new neck height (my bridge is about bottomed out). This reduces the angle of the strings over the bridge so it is not such sharp angle and reduces that friction. I love this mod because it lowered the whole profile of the guitar. It looks sleeker and it is much more comfortable for my right hand with the strings lower and closer to the body/pickup.
5. Use coated strings and add some graphite to the bridge rollers and the rod for the rollers.

Some other mods I have done...
I swapped out the pickup for an EVH Frankenstein Humbucker. I gutted the inside and made it a straight humbucker, volume, tone. Not necessary but I didn't use the onboard stuff.
I sanded (alot) the top hard edge where your right forearm rests. So much better. Also, I removed some wood from the back of the guitar under the neck plate. I removed that hard corner that makes it hard to play the upper frets. I don't use the neck plate and the neck is now only held on by the three bolts (minus the one were I filed the corner down). I has been fine like that for years.

So with the few simple mods it is now not so much a travel practice guitar as it is a bad-ass mini guitar that travels well.

Hope this helps.