Been getting loud squealing noise from my guitar manly when using gain and pedals for hard rock and metal . on clean or low gain it doesnt squeal but I can tap my pickups with my pick and hear popping noise and lots of pick scratching sound when alternate picking, The pickups are about 15 years old , the pickups are Gibson Burstbucker type 2 and type 3 pickups reverse polarity ,and apart from that they do sound great , I ask some guy in a music shop and he said it might be Microphonic or it could be to do with the case that the pickups are in , I am just wondering If there is anyone that has this problem or knows something i can do myself that will at lest reduce the unwanted sounds with out changing the pickup sound
Sounds like microphonic feedback from the coils moving a little inside the pickups. The solution would be to get them wax-potted again. Take it to a tech, luthier, or pickup winder in the know and they'll submerge the pickup in melted wax, filling any air gaps and preventing any wire in the coils from wiggling around.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Sounds like microphonic feedback from the coils moving a little inside the pickups. The solution would be to get them wax-potted again. Take it to a tech, luthier, or pickup winder in the know and they'll submerge the pickup in melted wax, filling any air gaps and preventing any wire in the coils from wiggling around.

+1, your pickups are already very old so that's likely to be the the cause of the problem.
Thanks for help on this matter after doing some reading up on it I feel I am capable of this task , there is one thing I am not sure about before putting them in the wax do I take that tape that is round the pickup coil off? and would I need to put extra wax in the cover ?
The covers should also be wax-potted onto the pickup, because they can vibrate and give microphonic feedback too. The pickups have already been potted previously, so I'd expect you can leave the tape and everything on. The heat will melt the wax already in the pickup, which will then fill any air gaps and fix the seal inside.
Quote by -MintSauce-
The covers should also be wax-potted onto the pickup, because they can vibrate and give microphonic feedback too. The pickups have already been potted previously, so I'd expect you can leave the tape and everything on. The heat will melt the wax already in the pickup, which will then fill any air gaps and fix the seal inside.

yes they have been potted before , I was going to say do you think its ok to wax it with the cover still on then it will do both?
No, do not wax the cover onto the coils.

There's a better way. When you wax the coils, you want to scrap off any extra wax on the bobbins, etc. The pickup, when potted, should look pretty much like the pickup UNpotted. Only the coils should have wax in them. You do NOT want a block of wax on your pickups. I've seen that before, but always wondered what idiot had been at them.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Pickups_and_Electronics/Wax_potting_pickups.html

When you put the covers back on, put a dab of clear bathroom caulk on the top of the bobbin (about the size of a pencil eraser) just before you put the cover on and solder it. This is more than sufficient to keep the cover from vibrating. Some manufacturers put a piece of felt there.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 17, 2015,
It's okay to do both, but boils down to personal taste. Seymour Duncan and some other manufacturers do wax-pot with the cover on, others pack the pickup and solder the covers.

Neither way is going to damage the pickup.
I feel I am capable of this task , there is one thing I am not sure about before putting them in the wax do I take that tape that is round the pickup coil off? and would I need to put extra wax in the cover ?

Don't remove the tape. I like dspellman's idea of using a little caulk (or silicone) under the cover. I use Gulfwax k i t c h e n wax for doing them, I got a small fondue pot at a resale shop for a buck, like a mini crock pot, it works great and I just leave the wax in it for future use.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...