hey guys , im gonna buy my next guitar
im an intermediate player
i find out on the internet , there are 2 guitars that i like

wich one is more versatile , and have a good quality ?
fender blacktop stratocaster (made in mexico) or epiphone les paul plus top pro(made in korea/china/indonesia idont know haha)??

they both have humbuckers . the strat have a vintage hot alnico humbucker , while the epiphone have the gibson's 57 humbucker..

but i read some reviews said that the epiphone have some minor issue and problems

i play mostly rock music , alternative rock , classic rock , blues , metal , punk , pop punk
(foo fighters , guns n rosses , aveged sevenfold , green day , blink 182 ect)

i need a guitar that sound good on clean and distorted
and i think this guitar will be my last guitar , cuz i want to go to collage for the next 2 years so im affraid to get so busy and cant play with my guitar and my band any more hahaha

i need your help or advice to decide , i dont know because my local music shop dont have those guitars so i cant go out and try,, i must order it

thank you cheerss......
Does your local music shop have any MIM Fenders or Epiphones? I haven't tried those specific models, but if you're very lucky your local shop might have models similar to those with similar neck profiles, pickups etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well neither is perfect for all you've mentioned. for most of the rock stuff either would be fine. for metal the strat would be a little better but far from ideal (for A7X type stuff or downtuned metal). despite being a strat guy I think for you the LP would be better.
Something with some kind of P90s might be a good choice. Or with a HSS.

What is your budget?
Are you willing to buy online?
Are you willing to buy used gear?
Where do you live (so we won't make suggestions that you won't be able to use)?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
the epi les paul standard is probably close enough to let you know what the other epi would be like (at least approximately).

even the squier would let you see, at least to a certain extent, how a strat differs in feel from a LP.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You really need to play both.
So much about picking the right guitar is about HOW IT FEELS more than any other factor IMO.
I know you said thats not an option for you, but I do think its a very important factor in deciding.

For the music you listed, I would think the LP would be better.
But I feel that the Strat has more versatility.

I should also note, that I tried damn near 100 Strats before I found one I liked.
Its a 1996 MIM Strat. I paid $350 for it.

Edit:
And What Dave said above.
I have a Blacktop and I think you would be happier with the LP as long as the pickups can dish out the higher gain sounds so you'll have to try one first.

The Blacktop pickups are anemic for some of the sounds you are looking for, not to mention that a lot of Blacktops come with a Floyd which won't work easily with changing tunings to get the A7X sounds and GnR lower tuning.

On the other hand, you can coil split with the Blacktop so you can sort of get that Fender neck pickup sound. And of course, the blacktop feels like a strat, it is a totally different feel than a LP.
mate i own one of those blacktop strats seriously go get it the thing is amazing and way better than any other guitars at the price
They're good, but I wouldn't go that far.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The major difference from my point of view is the neck feel. You should really try them if you have the chance.

Overall, the LP is a better guitar though. It has tap coil too, which is nice.

Edit: Blacktop is coil tap too apparently.
I had to mention this as well; knobs under the pickups on strat are kind of a hassle sometimes because when you strum, it gets in the way. You might find yourself turning these knobs around unintentionally.
Last edited by Taz9 at Jan 18, 2015,
Im not too sure if these guys have the right guitars in mind but i have BOTH.
The fender is an excellent build quality, much better than any other mim ive seen and will rival most American std
The pickups are good under distortion but a noticable volume drop when you use single coil functions positions on your 5 way switch.
The epiphones coil tap doesnt do this but doesnt have that fender tone in its single coil function however....in humbucker mode my god! It sounds soooo close to a gibson its freaky, if not just a little hotter sounding pups.
The build quality of the les paul is like the blacktop, excellent!
Both these guitars are clever choices as theyre both a real legitimate shot at their overpriced originals.
True fender guys and true gibson guys hate these two models for that reason.
So heres my opinion on the difference- the fender seems slightly better to play (feel) and the les paul has a slight edge in tone.