i've noticed everytime i tune my ibanez gio by the time i get halfwy done tuning the high e string the rest have detuned then i have to tune it again (about 3 times) for it to stay in tune,it's a real pain in the ass
im thinking about getting some locking tuners.anybody think my problem is the tuners?
The problem isn't with the tuners, the thing is when you tune you increase the tension on the strings which slightly curves the neck relaxing the other strings, it also pulls on the floyd rose bridge. Nothing is wrong with your guitar, it's the way it's supposed to do that.
Yep.. Nature of the beast trying to tune a guitar with a tremolo... Any tremolo...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Also doesn't help your guitar is not the most spectacular either. If you find it happening too much tighten the springs a little.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Thanks for the replies guys i wish i knew this guitar sucked before im not too worried since i got it for $35 on craigslist,i did manage to swap out the pickups and adjust the tremelo though.

Quote by TheStig1214
Also doesn't help your guitar is not the most spectacular either. If you find it happening too much tighten the springs a little.

the springs on the tremelo are fine my problem is whenever i want to any kind of tuning like a half step,Drop d or standard tuning the guitar doesnt want to stay tune
Last edited by Electric Devil at Jan 17, 2015,
you can't drop tune or change with a floating trem without major problems. Just leave it tuned as it is, drop or whatever it was setup for
Quote by Electric Devil
i've noticed everytime i tune my ibanez gio by the time i get halfwy done tuning the high e string the rest have detuned then i have to tune it again (about 3 times) for it to stay in tune,it's a real pain in the ass
im thinking about getting some locking tuners.anybody think my problem is the tuners?

You're wasting money on locking tuners to fix that issue. Your tuners are just fine.
Quote by Electric Devil
Thanks for the replies guys i wish i knew this guitar sucked before im not too worried since i got it for $35 on craigslist,i did manage to swap out the pickups and adjust the tremelo though.

the springs on the tremelo are fine my problem is whenever i want to any kind of tuning like a half step,Drop d or standard tuning the guitar doesnt want to stay tune

Yeah but if you tighten up the springs then the floating trem adds more resistance to the strings falling out of tune.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Electric Devil

Same happens with my Charvel and any other tremolo equipped guitar. It's just physics. It has nothing to do with your guitar. You always need to tune the (tremolo equipped) guitar several times when you change tuning because when you tune one string down, it changes the tension and the other strings go up (because the tension change causes the bridge to tilt a bit). That's just how it goes. This is why when you break a string on a tremolo bridge, you go out of tune. The tension change causes the other strings to go out of tune. When you tune down, the same thing is happening - the tension changes.

And yeah, your tremolo can only be perfectly set up for one tuning.

Drop D shouldn't be a major problem, but even dropping one string down a whole step will cause the other strings to go up a bit. That's just how it is, there's nothing you can do about it (other than block your tremolo).

I would suggest sticking with one tuning on guitars that have a tremolo bridge. If you want to change tuning, use another guitar.

So the problem is not your guitar going out of tune and it can't be fixed (unless you block the tremolo). But if the guitar went out of tune when you played it (and not while tuning it), then you would have a problem.

BTW, is it a standard tremolo or Floyd Rose? Because if it's a Floyd Rose, changing tuners would have no effect on anything.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 17, 2015,
Make sure you stretch your strings a few times if you haven't done so.

And it's just like MaggaraMarine said. You can't change tunings on a trem without going through the whole process each time.

There's nothing wrong with your guitar. Get a separate guitar if you need another tuning.
These people are all right, I had a strat (which obviously had a tremolo bridge) and I ghetto locked it by tightening the strings so that moving it would be impractical, it also helped with my tunings! Cheers mate!
Quote by TheStig1214
Yeah but if you tighten up the springs then the floating trem adds more resistance to the strings falling out of tune.

i did tighten the trem springs there ws a video guide i found on these forums about doing that which i followed

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Same happens with my Charvel and any other tremolo equipped guitar. It's just physics. It has nothing to do with your guitar. You always need to tune the (tremolo equipped) guitar several times when you change tuning because when you tune one string down, it changes the tension and the other strings go up (because the tension change causes the bridge to tilt a bit). That's just how it goes. This is why when you break a string on a tremolo bridge, you go out of tune. The tension change causes the other strings to go out of tune. When you tune down, the same thing is happening - the tension changes.

And yeah, your tremolo can only be perfectly set up for one tuning.

Drop D shouldn't be a major problem, but even dropping one string down a whole step will cause the other strings to go up a bit. That's just how it is, there's nothing you can do about it (other than block your tremolo).

I would suggest sticking with one tuning on guitars that have a tremolo bridge. If you want to change tuning, use another guitar.

So the problem is not your guitar going out of tune and it can't be fixed (unless you block the tremolo). But if the guitar went out of tune when you played it (and not while tuning it), then you would have a problem.

BTW, is it a standard tremolo or Floyd Rose? Because if it's a Floyd Rose, changing tuners would have no effect on anything.

It's a standard tremolo.man that sucks the fact it stays in tune for one tuning.Im actually thinking of blocking the trem with a piece of wood since i never really use it.
Last edited by Electric Devil at Jan 18, 2015,
Yeah. If you don't use it, block it. It will be more stable that way and you can change tunings without needing to retune all the strings many times
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
so i've blocked off the trem it made a difference,now i just noticed this guitar has some shitty sustain
Last edited by Electric Devil at Jan 25, 2015,
insted of making another thread i was wondering if anybody could help me out with a fret buzzing issue i've had for awhile with this guitar
All the strings are fine except for the low E and and A string anything past the 17th fret buzzes
You can't just go tightening the springs, if you do that it pulls the trem back. It needs to sit level to work properly. The string buzzing is probably because you're trem isn't set up properly. The pic you posted the springs are way uneven, they should be even not screwed way in on only one side.
Last edited by J_W at Jan 30, 2015,
Quote by J_W
You can't just go tightening the springs, if you do that it pulls the trem back. It needs to sit level to work properly. The string buzzing is probably because you're trem isn't set up properly. The pic you posted the springs are way uneven, they should be even not screwed way in on only one side.

Very much this ^^^

As for changing the tuning and changing broken strings etc I suggest you invest in a Tremol-no and put it in Dive Only Mode. Will make life A LOT easier.
Quote by Electric Devil

It's obviously become sentient and wants you to play djent.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Start with the low e and tune your way down so thicker strings frist

Also how do u block a trembo
Last edited by Tazz3 at Jan 30, 2015,
i've block off my tremelo with a piece of wood so it's a hard tail now.like in the picture (not mine) i stuck a piece of wood behind the trem
Last edited by Electric Devil at Feb 3, 2015,
So i just found out the nut on the truss rod of the guitar is missing is it possible to replace it?,Im feeling abit discouraged about this guitar
What do you mean that its missing? Is there no place to insert an allen wrench?

Pics please.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
no doesnt seem like theres no place,i tried various sizes of allen wrenches and its a no go it seems like to feel like some sort of metal stump in there this is weird
The fact that you've used several sizes of allen wrench to adjust the truss rod is worrying, because if you did get a wrench that seemed to somewhat fit the whole and you tried to adjust it, there's a good chance you've stripped the nut and ****ed it up. On most import guitars, 4mm and 5mm are the most common sizes.

And WHAT ON EARTH did you do to the E and A string nut slots??? It looks like you melted the nut slots with a soldering iron!
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 12, 2015,
i bought this guitar durring the summer used on craigslist for $35.but the only thing i did was try to poke the allen wrench in to see if something grabbed but never got the chance to turn it.i have no idea what the guy did with it before
thats a pieace of paper i put under the strings since the low E and A strings where buzzing it seems to help since i cant adjust the truss rod lol