Hello, I recently purchased a Vox AC15c1, and I noticed a hum. Being my first tube amp, it may be normal, but I wanted to check on here to make sure it's alright.

So about the hum, it's not too loud to be sure its abnormal, it's just there.

The hum stops if I:

• Turn the guitar volume down
• Touch the guitar strings or bridge
• Turn the amps "tone cut" all the way up
• Turn the amp on "standby"
• Turn on the tuner pedal

With that said, the hum isn't too bad, and it silences with those ways, however the hum will get louder if the volume is increased. Also, if the tremolo is on, the hum will be affected by it, like its being ran through the tremolo unit.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Cody
With the hum going away when you touch the strings or the bridge, it may be the wiring in your guitar. Make sure there is a wire connecting the bridge to ground (usually the back of one of the pots)

Do you have another guitar or can you try a friend's guitar maybe? That would help comfirm whether the problem is with your guitar or your amp.
Quote by WeZ-84
With the hum going away when you touch the strings or the bridge, it may be the wiring in your guitar. Make sure there is a wire connecting the bridge to ground (usually the back of one of the pots)

Do you have another guitar or can you try a friend's guitar maybe? That would help comfirm whether the problem is with your guitar or your amp.

This right here.
Besides trying another guitar, try plugging the amp into another power outlet, even at another location.
Another location could just be a different room in your house, a friends house, music store, whatever.

But yeah this one: "• Touch the guitar strings or bridge"
Thats an indication of improper grounding inside the guitar.