Hello

Lately I found that I might want to have a compressor pedal in my effects chain. I was thinking about getting a compressor pedal because I like to play alot of rhytmic stuff where the sound should be really 'tight' if you know what I mean, also as I play live in a band from time to time, I find that using a compressor live sets your guitar better in the mix and improves the overal sound of the performance (if set to a mild setting ofcourse).

However I've come across some problems when choosing which compressor to buy. Ofcourse in the end it's all about personal preference and what sounds best to me, but I'd like to have some advice, just to make the proces of choosing the right compressor a little bit easier for me.

So, I'm hesitating between a cheap, mid-range and expensive compressor pedal.

By cheap pedal I mean the mxr dyna comp, I've heard many good things about it and it's not too expensive.

As a mid-range pedal I set my mind on the barber tone press compact, it's a compact version of the barber tone press that is rated as a very good compressor.

And last there's the mad professor forest green compressor, it's the most expensive one of those three, but offers some nice features, and looks and sounds like a very high quality (low noise) compressor to me.

The reason that I would go for the cheap one is that I might end up not liking a compressor (or the features an expensive compressor offers) at all and then going for an expensive pedal would be quite a waste.
On the other hand, if I do like the stuff a compressor does to my sound, maybe going for an expensive compressor might be a good decision as it will add significant less noise or hum, which for me is very important.

So what would you recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Quote by Knackworst1
The reason that I would go for the cheap one is that I might end up not liking a compressor (or the features an expensive compressor offers) at all and then going for an expensive pedal would be quite a waste.
If you're not sure you might well borrow/rent one for a week or two, or get something exaggeatedly cheap like a behringer compressor.
Quote by Knackworst1
On the other hand, if I do like the stuff a compressor does to my sound, maybe going for an expensive compressor might be a good decision as it will add significant less noise or hum, which for me is very important.
Compressors all raise the noise floor because it's necessary to make up for the gain reduction they apply at some points, and cheap ones don't use appreciably lower quality components (if you're talking stuff up to $200 or so at least), it's just that most cheap compressors offer even less control than the expensive ones.

IMO, if you want something good sounding get an FMR RNC or RNLA.
If you want something designed for guitar you might as well cheap out and get a DOD comp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
If you're not sure you might well borrow/rent one for a week or two, or get something exaggeatedly cheap like a behringer compressor.
Compressors all raise the noise floor because it's necessary to make up for the gain reduction they apply at some points, and cheap ones don't use appreciably lower quality components (if you're talking stuff up to $200 or so at least), it's just that most cheap compressors offer even less control than the expensive ones.

IMO, if you want something good sounding get an FMR RNC or RNLA.
If you want something designed for guitar you might as well cheap out and get a DOD comp.

Oh so if I only want some squashy sounds for country and funk, and a mild subtle compression, a cheap one like the mxr dyna comp will do? (don't even need much sustain I can get plenty out of my OCD)
I paid $30 for my Biyang co-8, unless it breaks its the last compressor I'll ever buy. And then I'd probably just buy another. I don't know much about compressors but I was really disappointed in the Boss CS3 (not that you even mentioned it) and the Biyang was shockingly impressive to me. Shiny and punchy yet subtle and quiet, it does exactly what I wanna compressor to do to my Fender Flavored rig. I'm sure it can't be beat for the price.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Knackworst1
Oh so if I only want some squashy sounds for country and funk, and a mild subtle compression, a cheap one like the mxr dyna comp will do? (don't even need much sustain I can get plenty out of my OCD)
Yes.

For overly noticeable stuff like the sounds you hear in funk just get a 3630 though.
For serious.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I was looking for a compressor about a month ago. After trying a few I loved the dynacomp. I only hesitated to buy as the MXR custom comp was not in stock to try it out and online everyone says its better than the dynacomp with low noise and less colour to your sound. So I want to try the custom comp before buying a compressor. I really liked the dynacomp colour though, and I may end up getting it if I don't like the custom comp.
I've got five compressors:

A very cheap Behringer 2 knob Dynacomp style

A DIY BYOC Opticomp

A DIY BYOC 5-knob

A switchable Ross-Dynacomp built by a friend of mine.

A Boss LMB-3

None of them have noise issues, in fact the Behringer reduces ambient noise in my man cave.

The Behringer works well, but hasn't got much range. It increase attack, but only really compresses when the input signal is fairly high.

The Opticomp has lot of squish and very slow release when turned up high. A did an attack mod, but the effect is small.

The 5-knob has it all, good compression, good tone, low noise, though again the attack control doesn't do much.

The Boss LMB-3 is the best in some ways, it has logical controls (compression ratio and threshhold), good compression, and the the enhance control can do interesting things, like "stratify" a warm humbyucker.

The Dyna-Ross is now defunct, but I always preferred the warmer Ross setting to the bright Dynacomp.

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice. If I was looking at my lot for the combination of low price and good effect, it would be the LMB-3.
If you go cheap, look no further than the old DOD FX-80B or DOD Milk Box. They blow the Dyna Comp, Super Comp and CS-3 out of the water, and do the mild compression thing really well.

But if you've got the extra cash, definitely look at the Tone Press. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
As long as we are talking cheap compressors I'll throw the Joyo Dynamic Compressor into the mix. It doesn't have as much squash as some of the higher end comps but I find for myself I don't miss that extra squash because its too much for what I do. My experience with the Joyo is that it very transparent and mine is dead quiet. And you should be able to find one new for under $40.
i will be getting one soon. more on the expensive side. its between the wampler ego and the diamond compressor. its hard to figure out which is best. i played an ego and lLOVED it, the blend knob makes it great. the diamond compressor from what i understand doesn't squash it much. i am sure i would be fine with either. but they are $150-$200.

i really really really didn't like my MXR dyna-comp. i didn't like the coloring of the tone, and it is so damn loud.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
From what I've read the Biyang/GFS comp is definitely worth it - basically a Keeley clone.

As usual I'll plug the Empress Compressor - if you got the cash and you want a subtle-tame compressor, that's the way I would go.

There's a reason there's a 100 Dyna Comps going for $40 and less at any given moment. Pretty noisy and uninspiring IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for all the comments
Does anyone have any experiences with the mad professor forest green compressor? It seems like a high quality compressor, but it's one of the more expensive options
not the mad professor, but i've played around with the evergreen compressor and pale green from bearfoot, which makes pedals designed by bjfe, who designed the mad professor line. the evergreen has a ridic amount of compression going on, whereas v1 and v2 of the pale green are fairly tame. if you want in-between, go for the v3 pale green. it basically takes off where v1 and 2 left off.