1. If I was to record two seperate tracks, by playing through two different amps at the same time, would this give me a true double tracked sound?

Or:

2. If I was to record two seperate tracks, using one amp with two different speaker cabs miced up, would this give me a true double tracked sound?

Or do I have no choice but to get off my lazy backside and record the same stuff a bunch of times?
I have nothing important to say
1. no
2. no

They both would give you a fuller sound but double tracking sounds different.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^this

People have been trying to cheat with double tracking for years but ultimately everyone comes to the same conclusion, it doesn't work.
The reason double tracked parts sound, well, double tracked is because of timing and tuning differences between the takes. Recording the same performance twice won't give those difference. As Spambot said, it'll sound fuller, but not 'double tracked.'
Quote by JackSaints

Or do I have no choice but to get off my lazy backside and record the same stuff a bunch of times?

Fun fact: the time it took you to make this thread is roughly equal to the amount of time it takes to make a pass at a guitar track
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Fun fact: the time it took you to make this thread is roughly equal to the amount of time it takes to make a pass at a guitar track

I actually could have got a fair whack done if I hadn't been browsing this forum
True double tracking it is for me.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
I actually could have got a fair whack done if I hadn't been browsing this forum
True double tracking it is for me.

Oh, I usually whack while browsing this forum...

What? What were you talking about?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite