I'm just curious as to what you guys think about the Mark V. I think it's cool how it models all the previous Marks, but I'm a little skeptical as to how it actually sounds with all that circuitry in it. What do you guys think?
That shit's Mesa's highest moment. A triumph. One of the best amps for metal(And not only) period.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
It is an awesome amp period.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I own one.

Best cleans on any of Mesa's high gain offerings, as well as one of the best crunch sounds I've heard, period. The high gain won't get as brutal as a Recto, but its smoother and clearer with a tight low end. The Mark IV setting is often the one people complain about the most, though I don't use it a whole lot and was never huge on the IV anyway.

I dig mine. Traded a Roadster for it and would do it again. I still prefer my 5150 for high gain in most instances and my Bogner for mid gain, but as an amp that can do it all, its definitely one of the top I've owned.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've only played it briefly at Guitar Center but I was impressed. Are you looking to buy an amp TS or were you just asking?

Quote by MatrixClaw
I own one.

Best cleans on any of Mesa's high gain offerings, as well as one of the best crunch sounds I've heard, period. The high gain won't get as brutal as a Recto, but its smoother and clearer with a tight low end. The Mark IV setting is often the one people complain about the most, though I don't use it a whole lot and was never huge on the IV anyway.

I dig mine. Traded a Roadster for it and would do it again. I still prefer my 5150 for high gain in most instances and my Bogner for mid gain, but as an amp that can do it all, its definitely one of the top I've owned.

I thought at one point you said you liked the Mark IV better than the Mark V?

Did the Mark V just grow on you or did you never actually say that?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 17, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've only played it briefly at Guitar Center but I was impressed. Are you looking to buy an amp TS or were you just asking?

Did the Mark V just grow on you or did you never actually say it?

Derek just switches back and forth ... kinda like when he loved the Diezel Herbert then realized it had difficulty cutting through the mix.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I own one.

Best cleans would be the Road King II, old school Lonestar, another opinion.
I have only heard it on recordings and demos and I've tried one in a store, and I was underwhelmed.

I thought it was "fine".
For that money though I'd expect something to be much more than fine though

Cleans were nice and clean and stuff, not on par with the lonestar's if ya ask me.
Crunches were crunches, different from my idea of nice crunch which is a smoother JCM800, like I'd expect a decent "american sounding" amp.
Distorted stuff was as Derek described, smoother than the rectos', and I think rectos' aren't by a stretch brutal so that's some pretty smooth distortion if ya ask me.

The mark series definitely has a place in history and it's versatile and useful and stuff, but my opinion is that the mark V isn't worth the money it costs, and even if it was is not the amp for me.

To each his own as we can see
Quote by Ippon
He though said it has the best cleans in the high gain division, and as I see it the road king is the jack of all trades and the lonestar classic isn't really a high gain amp.

I though can't but agree the lonestar classic has the best cleans of any mesa.
Of most amps as well...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 17, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
I have only heard it on recordings and demos and I've tried one in a store, and I was underwhelmed.

I thought it was "fine".
For that money though I'd expect something to be much more than fine though

Cleans were nice and clean and stuff, not on par with the lonestar's if ya ask me.
Crunches were crunches, different from my idea of nice crunch which is a smoother JCM800, like I'd expect a decent "american sounding" amp.
Distorted stuff was as Derek described, smoother than the rectos', and I think rectos' aren't by a stretch brutal so that's some pretty smooth distortion if ya ask me.

The mark series definitely has a place in history and it's versatile and useful and stuff, but my opinion is that the mark V isn't worth the money it costs, and even if it was is not the amp for me.

To each his own as we can see

He though said it has the best cleans in the high gain division, and as I see it the road king is the jack of all trades and the lonestar classic isn't really a high gain amp.

I though can't but agree the lonestar classic has the best cleans of any mesa.
Of most amps as well...

The Road King II is a high gain amp and its Ch 1 and 2 (Clean and Fat) are based on the Lonestar circuit.

Edit: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/roadking.htm

Improved Channel 1 & 2 now features CLEAN and FAT from our acclaimed LoneStar® - our best clean ever - along with incredible new TWEED and BRIT modes. These two channels alone make a mighty amplifier.

All New, All-Tube Reverb also from the LoneStar® is deeper, more lush and ambient and sticks tighter to the notes. Reverb control now rides in each Channel Strip.
It is a very nice amp, no doubt. I am by no means very experienced with them, but I got some good sounds out of one at a local store. Very nice cleans, and excellent leads. I was not blown away by the brootz as far as chugging/metal rhythm playing though. It just left a little to be desired for my taste. I think it's a little more suitable for leads than rhythm. But that's just my opinion -- you really have to try one for yourself.

My favorite Mesa amp, by far though, is the Royal Atlantic. That's an amp I think I could give up my 6505+ for.
Then the road king II does indeed have the most beautiful cleans in mesa's high gain range, thanks for the clarification.

But out of curiosity and since I've never tried one, does it really sound like a lone star classic?
'cause I'm guessing the power section does a kind of impactful job on the lonestar and the one in the road king is different.

Damn if mesa's were this cheap on this side of the pond...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Then the road king II does indeed have the most beautiful cleans in mesa's high gain range, thanks for the clarification.

But out of curiosity and since I've never tried one, does it really sound like a lone star classic?
'cause I'm guessing the power section does a kind of impactful job on the lonestar and the one in the road king is different.

That's why I'm moving to Canada when I'll be about 25.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I don't get to try out any of the expensive amps. Out here in New Jersey it's hard to find an amp like the Mark V in stores. I've been to a couple of Guitar Centers and the closest I've gotten to is a Mark 5:25.
Quote by Spambot_2

My first amp was the Lonestar and the RK II nails it (from what I remember). The new Lonestar sounds and feels different though. The cool thing is, the RK II's 6 power tubes can take various combination pairs of 6L6 and EL34 tubes and you can assign combos to channels, etc.
Quote by Spambot_2

Yeah, Mesa is quite expensive.. but then again, you can always blame shipping expenses and of course the retailer has to make a buck too.
I think you would be better off with a Laney VH100R and changing the tubes to 6L6s! and also adding a graphic EQ to the drive channel. I am actually going to do that at some point to mine, got the EQ already.

I think I heard in some video that also Mark V's FAT mode was from Lonestar? I could be wrong and I can't even remember the video..

Oh, and to add, yes, Mesa Mark V is absolutely awesome.. I hope I could maybe probably get to test one live next Saturday!
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jan 17, 2015,
After watching a John Petrucci demo video of the Mark V, I became completely convinced that it's probably the best amp in the world, if you want your cleans, crunches and leads all in the same box. If I could even dream of affording one, I'd own it already, and would have stopped shopping for amps.
Quote by Ippon
My first amp was the Lonestar and the RK II nails it (from what I remember). The new Lonestar sounds and feels different though.
By the new lonestar you mean the last version of the lonestar classic, or the lonestar special?
Quote by Ippon
The cool thing is, the RK II's 6 power tubes can take various combination pairs of 6L6 and EL34 tubes and you can assign combos to channels, etc.
I care for simplicity man
Quote by Sakke
Yeah, Mesa is quite expensive.. but then again, you can always blame shipping expenses and of course the retailer has to make a buck too.
I think you would be better off with a Laney VH100R and changing the tubes to 6L6s!
I actually care for the lonestar cleans, the rest of a roadking I wouldn't really find a use for - I don't like any mesa high gain sound really
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Did the Mark V just grow on you or did you never actually say that?

I've always thought the Mark IV had a strong lead channel but the rest of the amp was pretty much worthless for me, at least.

The Mark IV was my second tube amp. I wouldn't buy another one unless it was too good a deal to pass up. Always thought the Mark III was far better and was a big fan of the Mark V from the start. The Crunch setting is freaking amazing.

Quote by Ippon

Eh, I dunno... I've had the RKI and RKII and wasn't super impressed with cleans, or mid gain on either. Its been a while since I've actually seen a Lonestar, or played one, but I remember liking it's cleans, which the RKII supposedly has. I'm pretty sure the Roadster is essentially the same circuit, too?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
IMO the MKV is truly a great amp.

the MKIV is also a damn good amp.

each have strengths and weakness, i wouldn't buy either without trying both

i have the MKIV, i will never get rid of it, but maybe i would pick a MKV some day (i am a gear hoarder). i paid $780 for a long head.

______

edit: i also paid $750ish for a dual rectifier tremoverb. you could find both the MKIV and a Rec (maybe get lucky on the rec) for less money. i
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 18, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2

I actually care for the lonestar cleans, the rest of a roadking I wouldn't really find a use for - I don't like any mesa high gain sound really

Laney VH100R's cleans are good. They sound more American than British. The high-gains are british though, with not so pronounced mid bark (depends on your speakers ofc).
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.