So I've been playing guitar about four years now and I'm getting my third electric soon, so it's high time I got a decent amp. I've been playing mostly metal and blues through a Marshall MG-30 and while it does the job it leaves me pretty underwhelmed nowadays; I'm sure plenty of you would have stronger words of criticism with which to grace it. Regardless, while I've no intention to stop playing metal, such "alternative rock" (whatever that means) as My Bloody Valentine, Rowland S. Howard, Dinosaur Jr. is of far more interest to me musically, and I'm pretty sure that's where I want to go as I get more into writing my own music. Getting a new amp I want something affordable (which a used Twin is if I start saving now for several months in the future), usable for any future gigging I may do, much better in terms of overall quality and sound than my Marshall (because why get a new amp if I'm not going to get something good?) and, of course, suited to the styles I want to play (with the aid of a fuzz and delay, modulation etc. pedals; I know J. Mascis has used Twins and Rowland S. Howard was never seen without a Twin Reverb).

Is a Fender Twin a good idea or an abysmally terrible one? Otherwise in the £500-600 range what's worth looking at in terms of (preferably valve) amps for the aforementioned styles?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Should be a good option. You might also want to look at Vox amps as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by K33nbl4d3
because why get a new amp if I'm not going to get something good?

you have no idea how refreshing that is to hear. so many users here don't understand that concept.

Is a Fender Twin a good idea or an abysmally terrible one? Otherwise in the £500-600 range what's worth looking at in terms of (preferably valve) amps for the aforementioned styles?

yep, for the bands you've mentioned i'd go a fender twin and a few fuzz pedals. definitely a muff, and maybe something squawky like a bosstone clone.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
you have no idea how refreshing that is to hear. so many users here don't understand that concept.

yep, for the bands you've mentioned i'd go a fender twin and a few fuzz pedals. definitely a muff, and maybe something squawky like a bosstone clone.

This is great advice, though there are about a billion muffs (and clones of the different versions) to choose from. Can't go wrong with a regular ol' NYC Muff or a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, which sounds very close to a regular Muff but is a lot more tweakable. The Swollen Pickle nails My Bloody Valentine, Smashing Pumpkins and Yuck style tones very well.

Might consider a ProCo RAT. Not the new production RAT 2 (these are garbage), but one of the older ones. Look for one with the LM308 chip, that's what you need. I know Mascis uses one, and it would be good to have for wall-of-sound applications.

Also consider a delay or five and a reverb pedal to help with the shoegaze aspects. The reverb on the Twin is good, but you'll probably want more space than it can provide. A Hardwire RV-7/Supernatural or TC Electronic Hall of Fame would get you there and then some. As far as delay goes, there are so many to pick from, but a used DL4 would give you everything you'd need in that department.

One last thing, I won't try to sway you on your amp decision since you already picked just about the perfect one for what you want. If you decide you need to go cheaper, a used Peavey Classic 50 combo or Hot Rod Deville would get you close enough in the clean department. But if you can, save for the real deal and get what you actually want
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Jan 17, 2015,
You really cannot go wrong with a Fender Twin Reverb. It would not be the first choice for high-gain metal, but for just about everything else, it is a fine choice. Great tones, plenty of headroom, and takes pedals well. Plus, the damned things seem to last forever. Go for it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You should also consider a Deluxe Reverb, AC15 or AC30, Peavey Classics and Delta Blues. Twins are great but they're really big and heavy. They can be a nightmare to gig with. A lot of people end up downsizing. The AC30 has the same problems. Size and weight shouldn't be ignored if you're the one carrying an amp. If you're ok with it, then go for it. If you really like the Twin, then the Deluxe Reverb is a clear choice for something similar. Some people even prefer the DR to the TR. I suggested the Voxes and Peaveys just for some tonal options. The TR is a great amp though.
I actually have a Fender HRD, and I'd go with a Vox over it for this purpose.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Fender Twin Reverb has some fantastic clean head room and does take pedals well , easy to find and just a good solid amp , my 1973 Twin Reverb does not have an effects loop but still takes pedal great in front of the amp , probably not easy to find where your at but the Carvin Vintage series is another good option with the Belair 2x12 , Nomad 1x12 or VT50 head , I'm replace my Twin Reverb and Super Reverb combo's with the VT50 head and so far I'm more than satisfied with the Carvin
Carvins would be great, too, but the OP is on the other side of the pond- probably not as good a deal.

I am a Fender fanboy and love the sound of a good Twin. I have a 64 Super Reverb which is very close in terms of tone and loud. If you do plan to gig the pubs of Europe these good ol boys can be beasts getting in and out of tight places, narrow stairwells and cobblestone streets. I usually gig with something smaller for that reason. If you are 20 that probably isn't much of a concern now but at some point it will be. Schlepping around a 45 pounder is a lot easier on the bod at 2am in the rain.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A Jazz chorus could be something to look at as well maybe? I saw Alcest play with them, got some pretty sweet ambient sounds from em. That said, being in the UK could be an issue..

From what I've seen, out of all discussed so far, a Fender is likely the easiest thing to find.