I am sort of an intermediate player looking for a 5 string (as cheap as possible) with pickups as far away from the frets as possible. I just hate them being close. 2 octaves would also be preferred, but not a deal breaker. Another important part is having an all around wood look as plain as possible. As far as active vs passive pickups, active with the ability to play passive would again be preferred, but not a deal breaker.

Maybe these are too many preferences, but I would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.
That is indeed a saucy bass, and if I was even in that price range it would probably be on the top of my list. But as it stands I sort of have to fish from the bottom of the barrel, nothing higher than $300 really, and $250 would be a better price point honestly.

Lets say you had to pick between the GSR105EX (Ibanez), GSR205 (Ibanez) and the Douglas Sculptor 5 NA (previously the Douglas WOB825 I think?). I am leaning towards the Douglas considering that I do not actually have any experience with Ibanez, but I am not really disqualifying those two options because of that. It is more of the fact that one has only a single Humbucker and the other has strictly Humbuckers. The other has two more frets than the Ibanez's anyways. That is, unless anyone can convince me otherwise. Please let me know and thanks again!

Edit: Here are some links.

http://www.amazon.com/Douglas-Sculptor-5-NA/dp/B00M348NQE/ref=sr_1_52?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1421652662&sr=1-52&keywords=5+string&pebp=1421652668019&peasin=B00M348NQE
http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-GSR105EX-Natural/dp/B00EQ1NZN8/ref=sr_1_60?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1421652662&sr=1-60&keywords=5+string
http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-5-String-Electric-Rosewood-fretboard/dp/B00HWIRU1A/ref=sr_1_86?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1421652689&sr=1-86&keywords=5+string
Last edited by odjur at Jan 19, 2015,
Those three are all rather similar in many respects. I did not know that Amazon was now selling Rondo's Douglas line. I think you might be best served (and most pleased) with the Douglas. It looks like you get quite a bit for the price, there.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The Sterling by Music Man SUB Ray35 is a great bass, that's if you fine with an active bass
I want '61 Jazz Bass!
okay, first thing first, take the criterion "as cheap as possible" and throw it away. Never consider that thought process for guitar selection again. Ever.

Instead, consider your budget and decide on the absolute best you can afford. You can buy a $200 five string, brand new...but it's going to play and sound like a $200 five string, which will basically be a $150 four string and that extra $50 bought you an extra string. Look at all the reviews on this site that feature inexpensive guitars, starter pack guitars, student guitars. Look at how many of them say, "this is guitar would sound/play great with better pickups/bridge/tuners"?

All ranting aside, Schecter, ESP LTD, and the Yamaha RBX series offer great lower-priced guitars that sound and play very nicely. Many of these can be found used for very reasonable prices.
Dude, I play bass. I don't get paid for anything past the 4th fret.
Quote by FatalGear41
Those three are all rather similar in many respects. I did not know that Amazon was now selling Rondo's Douglas line. I think you might be best served (and most pleased) with the Douglas. It looks like you get quite a bit for the price, there.

Douglas (and SX) are general lines sold by a lot of different retailers around the world besides Rondo. Only Agile (far as I know) is a Rondo exclusive.
Quote by odjur
That is indeed a saucy bass, and if I was even in that price range it would probably be on the top of my list. But as it stands I sort of have to fish from the bottom of the barrel, nothing higher than $300 really, and $250 would be a better price point honestly.

Lets say you had to pick between the GSR105EX (Ibanez), GSR205 (Ibanez) and the Douglas Sculptor 5 NA (previously the Douglas WOB825 I think?). I am leaning towards the Douglas considering that I do not actually have any experience with Ibanez, but I am not really disqualifying those two options because of that. It is more of the fact that one has only a single Humbucker and the other has strictly Humbuckers. The other has two more frets than the Ibanez's anyways. That is, unless anyone can convince me otherwise. Please let me know and thanks again!

that price point is the "starter" instrument,and that means when you want to sell you are limited to beginners as potential buyers.....save some money and buy a decent instrument when you can afford it ....

something that you will be able to use and get your money out of it when you want to sell......in the meantime a mexifender 4 string p will set you back about 300 bux and most will work fine...there are lots of them out there ....the more you want on an instrument the more it costs to make well and 300 bux will not buy a decent 5 ,24 frets, quality pickups,active lx,even a a case .....at that price point anything beyond the basics would be folly...even buying new should be avoided.....think of how much it costs to make and ship,profit margins etc....then look for a deal on the used market....
I have a Squier CV Jazz strung with TI Jazz Flats, About EU300 or so where I live in France, so say about USD450 or so, and about USD 60 for the strings.

The tone is beautifully warm and mellow (through a 200 amp Fender combo) and gets good comments wherever I play. (Much better then my Mex Jazz).

Steve