Just took the back off my les Paul and noticed the ground wire to the bridge stud had come off the pot , this got me interested in the electrical side of the guitar and I really would like to get to understand all them wires , I have looked at a few diagrams on wiring on les Paul guitars but this one confuses me, I have also done soldering in the past but can't really make up my mind if it was a good job but considering all them wire's who knows. so anyone with experiences in electrical wire of guitars could give me some knowledge on this?

Also like to point out I had thought that pickups come with 2 or more wires but with them pickups there is only one braided wire for each pick up and there both soldered on top of the one pot .
They did a pretty good job. A bit of knowledge as I don't have a lot of time as I got to go somewhere.

yeah it bothers me about how both pickups are grounding to one pot myself. I would do two and have the wiper wires go to the selector.

but the good news is there is little to no burns on the wires
everything I see is soldered flat
the contacts look tinned and stripped properly
I've seen way worse.

In a guitar with actives there is three things to consider
hot lead (signal in or +)
ground (signal out or negative)
and battery ground

on the backs of the pots is ground, it makes its way it through a chain or path. All the red wires represent battery ground so that one is easy too.

I wrote a blog about volume and tone pots called "all about potentiometers" or something like it to really understand wiring.

quickly it's in this perspective
right - ground
middle - wiper (controls the % of tone or volume)
left - hot lead
and resistance is for another day

for a wiring diagram I suggest seymour duncan use the blackout diagram. I use this all the time.
Quote by Tallwood13
They did a pretty good job. A bit of knowledge as I don't have a lot of time as I got to go somewhere.

yeah it bothers me about how both pickups are grounding to one pot myself. I would do two and have the wiper wires go to the selector.

but the good news is there is little to no burns on the wires
everything I see is soldered flat
the contacts look tinned and stripped properly
I've seen way worse.

In a guitar with actives there is three things to consider
hot lead (signal in or +)
ground (signal out or negative)
and battery ground

on the backs of the pots is ground, it makes its way it through a chain or path. All the red wires represent battery ground so that one is easy too.

I wrote a blog about volume and tone pots called "all about potentiometers" or something like it to really understand wiring.

quickly it's in this perspective
right - ground
middle - wiper (controls the % of tone or volume)
left - hot lead
and resistance is for another day

for a wiring diagram I suggest seymour duncan use the blackout diagram. I use this all the time.

My guitar has passive pickups and I know its not the vintage Gibson setup or the modern wiring setup from the gibson site . But I cant understand how the pickup has one braided wire, pickups have a positive and a negative dont they?, and all I can see is the braid wire from the pickups on the pot to ground with no positive wire .
Last edited by dazzzer30 at Jan 18, 2015,
The black cloth-covered wire inside the braid is the signal from your pickup. The braid is soldered to the tone pot, then the hot is soldered to the volume pots.

Edit: Stock Gibson pickups usually come in the two-conductor variety. Four-conductor Gibson pickups are after-market version.
That sure looks like modern style wiring to me. What makes you say it's not?

As MintSauce said, the braid itself is the ground. Grounding the braid creates a faraday cage that shields the inner wire and serves as the ground connection for the pickup at the same time.
Quote by dazzzer30
My guitar has passive pickups and I know its not the vintage Gibson setup or the modern wiring setup from the gibson site . But I cant understand how the pickup has one braided wire, pickups have a positive and a negative dont they?, and all I can see is the braid wire from the pickups on the pot to ground with no positive wire .

The negative is the braid. The positive or hot is the centre wire inside the cloth sheath.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
here's the modern wiring below. If you do a kinman treble bleed mod to each volume you'll retain the highs of the guitar so the guitar doesn't go dark super quick when you turn the volume down from 10 to say 7.

The kinman treble bleed mod you'd need a...
130k resistor (one for each volume) - 1/4 watt - 5% tolerance
0.001uf capacitor - any voltage will work as it doesn't matter too much for guitars

But I figure if you're going to keep volume at 10 this isn't needed. Anyways here's the diagram.

Thanks for the help I have learnt a lot about wiring guitars the last few days although I do have another Question regarding Capacitors , I Have seen many diagrams of the capacitors being soldered to and from the Volume and tone lug directly why is this ?