So I've been looking into buying a new low cost amp. I've been leading towards the Fender Champion 100 ($200 used), but have been seeing more videos for the Stage 100, which is what the Champion 100 was upgraded from, but I find sounds better. Although, that may just be the quality of the videos and recordings. Anybody ever tested the differences? My friend who I jam with plays with Marshall Valvestate S80 which I feel sounds wonderful with my pedals, but I hear there designs make them somewhat unstable volume-wise and need lots of cleaning on the pots. All of these are in the $200 range.

Another option I've been considering is saving up another $100-150 and getting a fender tube, but I've only ever briefly seen a Fender Super Champ X2 on sale for 250, but it was sold in a heart beat (Love that amp). I'm also not sure if I'm in a financial position to maintain a tube amp. What are your guy's suggestions?

Edit: Adding in the other details, sorry for not checking the rules before posting.

Budget? - Looking to spend between $200-250, but am willing to shell out more for a tube if it seems feasible.

Genres? - I play a little bit of everything. Mostly rock, southern rock, Alternative and psychedelic, experimental,some jazz and punk. I Implement a lot of noise into my playing, lots of feedback and noisy effects. Maybe sometimes too an even reckless level, but I've dialed it back a bit.

Home or Gig? - Home and Gigging, Just started Gigging, My current residence I can play loud, and have a drum kit at.

Closest City? - Chicago.

Current Gear? - Currently Using a Fender Mustang 1 15 Watt.
Last edited by FingerSlamm at Jan 18, 2015,
Quote by FingerSlamm
I'm also not sure if I'm in a financial position to maintain a tube amp.
I've had a tube amp for a year and a half and I have spent around €15 on it.
Though they were all put in the components for modding it and if I didn't want to do that I might as well have left it as it was.

In short maintaining a tube amp doesn't cost that much, especially if you get a small one.
Quote by FingerSlamm
What are your guy's suggestions?
If you think a valvestate sounds great then you should go into a musical instruments store and play some mid end amps, so you'll have an idea of what's out there.

Anyway, pease follow the directions in this post so we can help you properly -
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I've had a tube amp for a year and a half and I have spent around €15 on it.
Though they were all put in the components for modding it and if I didn't want to do that I might as well have left it as it was.

In short maintaining a tube amp doesn't cost that much, especially if you get a small one.
If you think a valvestate sounds great then you should go into a musical instruments store and play some mid end amps, so you'll have an idea of what's out there.

Anyway, pease follow the directions in this post so we can help you properly -
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

really preamp tubes last several years on average (there are some amps from the 60's that have been used and still have the same tube.

power tubes are good for two to three years of decent abuse, but i have some i have put in five years ago in an amp that has gone through 50 gigs. i have some . most of my other amps i haven't ever really beat on and just have the same tubes forever.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
There are no perfect amps and the best one for you is one that reflects your music style and tone. Not necessarily the amp that reflects someone else's style and tone.

I own 5 amps total and each has it's purpose. One of them is the SuperChamp XD and I like it a lot. It is a low cost amp with a surprising amount of mojo and suits my playing well. The tubes are probably good for about 5 years of daily playing unless you are gigging 4 hrs/day with the amp dimed. A replacement set is about $40 or the cost of a couple of guitar cords. That is about $8/year on average so not a lot of money to maintain.

Try several amps in your price range and trust your ears first. Don't get sucked-in by lots of shiny knobs, bells, and whistles.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY