Page 1 of 2
So I bought a Blackstar HT-5 Metal and wanted to a cab to fit the head. So I already had some materials left over from a 4x12 (4x12 build )

So bought a sheet of Baltic Birch and got started. So started to look at all the 2x12's that Mesa, Blackstar and other build for the dimension.

So in Google Sketchup I drew the plan up and got to work. Her are some pics. Not quite finished yet as I am waiting for some WGS speakers, 1-Green Baretta 8-Ohms and 1-HM-75 8-Ohms. They should be here tomorrow.

Tools:
Router & Table
Flush trim bit
1/2 Round Over Bit
Jasper Circle Jig Model 200
Table Saw
Jigsaw
Various Clamps

Jointed with 2" Dowels and Gorilla glue.
3/4" Voidless Baltic Birch
Oak for baffle joint and branching
Dimensions:
Outside 30"h x 16"w x 11 3/8" l (top) 11 degree slant x 14.5 l (bottom)
All parts ordered from jam4jaudio on eBay
Mesa Soft Leather Corners and tacks
DAP-Weldwood Contact Adhesive - 1 pint
Assorted Chip Brushes
Foam 6" rollers
Hard wood roller
Heat Gun

recessed the handles like the Mesa's

Fun build so far can't wait to hear it!

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Jan 19, 2015,
Nice work
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry never updated Here is the finished cab minus the corners that have since been added.

First 4x12 that I made with Marshall plans.

In my sig has a link to the 4x12 build. I have since made several other and I am not wood worker and use basic tools, Table saw, chop saw, router and assorted bits. total cost for the 2x12 was around $120.00 finished. not counting the WGS speakers.

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Sep 6, 2015,
Next time you build, add a brace (like the one you should have in your 4x12) that runs from the center of the baffle back to the center of the back panel. This will help prevent a resonance that occurs (wavelength is a multiple of the diagonal measurement of that back panel). You can also put a brace diagonally on the back panel and let it go at that. My 2x12 backs weren't built with a single panel (three separate sections), and that worked out, too.

When I built my 2x12s, I had a piece of plywood running between the speakers and nearly all the way back to the back panel to semi-isolate each speaker (mine were set up to be able to run stereo). This made a noticeable difference overall.

These are the plans I followed for both of mine, except that instead of using mouse-fur carpet on the exterior, I took them to my local Line-X dealer and had him hose them down. I'm not a fan of Tolex (it rips, tears, etc., and can't be easily repaired), and these days I use either LineX or Duratex (roll-on rubberized textured paint product) by Acrytech.

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/stereocab.html

These aren't mine -- no mouse fur <G>:

Some else's build off the same plans (note the edge handles, which make all kinds of sense):

I installed the tweeters as shown (corners) with L-Pads that allowed me to dial them down or off. The combination of the porting (the two big pipes center top in the image below), the right size interior volume and the Eminence Delta ProA speakers allow them to run down to 52Hz or so. The stereo wiring feature allowed another guitar player to run his head through the right side of each cabinet, with my setup running through the left, and we could put the pair of speakers on each side of the stage and get awesome coverage.
Right I agree about the center brace. Not shown in the pics is a center brace that was added and I used mahogany wood for. Not light pine. I did Mesa style. I routed out a slot in the back baffle and cut out a small rubber piece it sit between the brace and the baffle. So it basically fits as one piece once the rear baffle is screwed on. I'll see if I can get a few pics taken.

theDogger
Also the rubberized line-x acts just like the Dynamat to dampen the entire cab.

The am experimenting now doing this to the entire inside of another 2x12 that made to see how that works compared to the Dynamat.

TheDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Aug 16, 2015,
Quote by theDogger
Also the rubberized line-x acts just like the Dynamat to dampen the entire cab.

The am experimenting now doing this to the entire inside of another 2x12 that made to see how that works compared to the Dynamat.

If we're talking *real* LineX:

No point to use it just on the inside; it's too expensive to be a Dynamat substitute, and it's relatively heavy. You can get it done in almost any color that cars come in (and several that they don't). On the outside it looks like a tolex, help's keep the cabinet airtight (where it's supposed to be) and it's brutally structural. The military uses it as anti-explosive and anti-spalling protection, even on buildings.

It's a two-part stuff that goes on hot (you can take it home a few minutes after they're done spraying, but you should let it set up for at least 24 hours after spraying). It's brutal stuff; if you're another cabinet rolling around in the back of a truck, you do NOT want to encounter an lineX-coated cabinet. It won't ding, but you will <G>.
Quote by theDogger
Sorry never updated Here is the finished cab minus the corners that have since been added. theDogger

Nice work !! Your DIY 212 cab is very pleasing to the eye... isn't there a speaker missing?

I did do some DIY too, in search of a little more low end i built myself a cool growlin' 2x12" bass beast.

I have built myself a 4 ohm / 2x 8 ohm (stereo) / 16 ohm switchable 2x12" bass cabinet to go with the HOTONE Thunder Bass. ( and for my other heads naturally ;-)

I named it the Genadeloos ( dutch for Merciless ) SVT-212. It's a clone of my SVT-210av cab.... the only real difference: it's roughly 20% larger in all areas. ( see my gear pics )

It's a 15 mm plywood ( waterproof, nine ply, void free, glued and screwed ) sealed cabinet with an internal volume of 62.55 liters, loaded with two Eminence S2012 twelve inch 8 ohm speakers, 150 watts each for an impressive total of 300 watts. The jackplate at the back has multiple connections which give three different ohm load options. It has Fender style tolex for outside finish and six cm raw sheep wool blankets all around the inside panels for damping.

IT SOUNDS AWESOME

not done yet.... (grillcloth/corners) To be continued........ R&R, Reggae and Blues forever

cheers
Attachments:
Ampeg-SVT-210av_DIY-12''clone_small.jpg
Last edited by Genadeloos_666 at Aug 18, 2015,
Yes a speaker was missing as I was waiting for it from WGS. its all good now....

Currently working on another cab right now for a friend. A Mesa replica 2x12.

Here are some pics should have it finished this week end

theDogger
One thing I've learned from "deep" cabinets: Don't put your side handles in the center of the side panel (front to rear) if you're putting speakers with large magnets inside (EV's anyone?). Try the cabinet with the speakers (and back panel) in place and find the balance point first.

Just the voice of years of whining and bitching about manufacturers who don't have the foresight to do the same while carrying cabs into a venue.
I hear ya, though it may not look it in the pics but the handles are cut more towards the front of the cab. Also I was considering adding a top leather handle. Good Point though!

theDogger
Well after cleaning out the garage I got a chance to work on the 2x12. Here are some more pics.

You can see where I am going with this

theDogger
For clarity, what is the purpose of the wood separation between the two speakers on the inside separating them? Just curious because I have built two 2x12 cabs and have not added that in either one. I do not gig but if it makes a difference sonically then I will look into adding it. Thanks.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Well I think that it comes down to personal preference. I like doing it and also adding dynamat to the back panel I really like how it tightens up the sound, seems to give a little more mid's as well as low-end.

If you look at the rear shot of the 4x12 you can see the dynamet and the cross bar. I was going through a Metallica phase when I first made the 4x12 and I was getting frustrated that I could not find that tight sound that they get. So I first added a MR 10-band to the loop which helped but still was not tight.

I also do custom car audio installs and I had some extra dynamat laying around so I figured why not, added the dynamat and it really tightened it up and then added the support and I was blown away. The combination of the dynamat and brace rear...I mean really tightened the cab up and I was able to get that tight Metallica sound I was looking for from the Black Album.

So since then I have always done it. As a side not I screw and glue to the front baffle and then I route out about 1/4" on the back panel and then screw the brace to the back panel.

theDogger
Very well done, nicely constructed and I think it looks good with the HT-5. How long did this take you to do?
Not long at all, Doing a good job on the tolex takes the most time. I would say that if I wanted to I could build a 2x12 or 4x12 one weekend and complete it the next.

The 2x12 that I am finishing is only costing me about $175 finished with no speakers. Those I'll find on ebay.
Its modeled after Marshall 2x12 exactly as was the 4x12. The slanted 2x12 was modeled after the Mesa Rec 2x12 slant.
What I did was visit several Pawn shops and asked to measure the cabs, took pics and got exact measurement, mocked it up in Sketchup and did a clone.
Had a hard time finding exact plans on line.

Now if I could only play guitar!!!!

theDogger
Ok 1 more step and the 2x12 is finish, waiting on the grill cloth which should be here tuesday.

Ill post the finished pics shortly.

theDogger
What's the thickness of the wood on the back panel on that 2x12?
With all the staples in that tolex, will that back panel be airtight?
I use 3/4" Baltic Birch Voidless Plywood and yes the staples will not be an issue. There is more air leak through the switch jack opening.

theDogger
Quote by theDogger
I use 3/4" Baltic Birch Voidless Plywood and yes the staples will not be an issue. There is more air leak through the switch jack opening.

Thanks! That back panel looked quite thin in the photograph.
Quote by theDogger
Well after cleaning out the garage I got a chance to work on the 2x12. Here are some more pics.
theDogger

Nice work again

I see you only use 4 bolts to mount the speakers, normally speakers come with 8 mounting holes... a special reason to use only 4 ?

About the center brace; it's almost always a good plan to use one in your cabs. It helps to get rid of unwanted resonances and keeps your front and backpanel stable. Thus helping the sound of the cab...

Last edited by Genadeloos_666 at Sep 6, 2015,
I see you only use 4 bolts to mount the speakers, normally speakers come with 8 mounting holes... a special reason to use only 4 ?

Right now I only have a template for 4 holes not 8. I will add the remaining 4 once I get my speakers in!

theDogger
Quote by dspellman
Thanks! That back panel looked quite thin in the photograph.

Also if you notice I took out about 1/8" rabbit so the panel sits flush. Might be why it looked thin. I you look close you can see it.

theDogger
Quote by Genadeloos_666

I thought celestions usually had 4?

(that's from memory, i haven't swapped speakers in a while)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yes you are correct Eminence and WGS are 8. The 4x12 use to be loaded with Celestions and that is what I modeled my template after.

theDogger
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I tore the 4x12 a part tonight to re-tolex it as my skills have gotten better. What a pain in the ass! I don't know what I was thinking with the type of glue that I used. It was still sticky and like gum! But got it off with Acetone and a scraper took about 3 hrs, its all ready to be re-cover. I'll post pics of that.

But in the mean while here is a pic of the switch plate for the 4x12. Thought that I would add a little touch..

Quote by Dave_Mc

I only know that most car speakers have only 4 holes but otherwise..., i work in the sound system lease business and i've swapped numerous pro PA celestions and they always have 8 holes, but i could be wrong, maybe it's different with guitarspeakers...

Way back i had a few Peavy Black Widow 12'' speakers with only four holes but that was a factory fault, they should have had eight holes
Last edited by Genadeloos_666 at Sep 7, 2015,
Lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well the 2x12 is finished, think that it turned out pretty good!

Now for the 4x12

theDogger
Very nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mmmm, not sure about that cab........can you send it to me so I can have a proper look?

Can't guarantee you'll get it back though
Quote by SpiderM
Mmmm, not sure about that cab........can you send it to me so I can have a proper look?

Can't guarantee you'll get it back though

You're the Hotel California for cabinets?
Very nice job.

I built an angled 2x12 to sit under my MV50 combo years ago. The combo is long gone but I was going to say I still have the cab 35 years later; but have currently misplaced it. :-( Not sure how I can loose something that big but it must have gone home with someone else after a gig and I haven't needed it since. I really want it now though.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.

Happy days :-)
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Page 1 of 2