Hey guys, just joined the forums because I am in need of advice from people who know what they are talking about. I started looking at guitars about 3 months ago and decided that I would be purchasing gear very very soon. I read a post here about what info you guys like to have in order to get a feel for what tone and feel him/her is looking to get and what gear can achieve that.

So as far as music I like to listen to my favorite is Tool, Opeth, Mastadon, and porcupine tree. There are more that I like but these bands have a certain sound I genuinely love to listen to, especially tool with Adam Jone's heavy tone. I don't want to sound like getting certain gear will make me have their exact tone but it would be nice to get a similar tone so when I do learn how to play some songs I can be like oh yeah sounds pretty close. For guitar shapes I know I really like the telecaster shape and gibson(out of price range so epiphone). I find some double cutaways to sit uncomfortably in my lap and the ones that felt uncumfy were made by schecter and ibanez mostly. I liked how the prs se 22/24 felt though. As for pickup config since i'm not really super knowledgeable with the inner workings of pickups and how different configurations effect tone I would say HH. I have smallish hands and a c shape slim neck is definitely preferable. this is sort of a second question but, would getting thicker strings give me a more heavy tone? If so what size is good enough to get that heavier tone but wouldn't be to punishing for a beginner with baby hands? .10s or up to .11s?

Now last week I picked up a line 6 spider IV 15 watt amp and a squeir John 5 tele double humbucker.It has a 25'' neck which feels comfortable to me and 22 frets. I don;t think I care if it has 22 or 24 and knowing which wood I like the body and board to be made of is just to technical for me right now. Love the feel of the guitar but, Its just not as heavy sounding as I would like to have it sound and im also having a lot of mystery noises coming from the amp because of the all metal hardware build of the guitar(very strange buzzing and squeeling). The only places I can go to get guitars and gear is GC and one super small place in town that has maybe 20 guitars in it. The budget for the guitar is 500 no more and for the amp ~100. Ill take new or used so if you know of a great metal amp that retails from 200 but can find used for 100 that's perfectly ok, same goes for the guitar 600 new ~500 used. I have a cable and i'm using a 1.14 mm pick. You guys probably get these questions all the time but when I ask people in stores I feel like there just oh yeah get whatever.

If you have read the novel I have just posted thank you very much and I appreciate every suggestion and bit of advice you guys can give to me.If you guys need more info let me know.

Third party sellers are such as ebay are ok with me if you find some gear on those sites
Last edited by dosamwolfso at Jan 18, 2015,
Have you considered or are you able to use ebay? You can really find some great stuff on there for reasonable prices. I've been out of the game for a while, but you're probably going to need a little bigger amp. Something with modeling capabilities since you're on a budget. One of these used is probably real affordable.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/roland-cube-40gx-40w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp

Or even one of these.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=roland+cube+30&_pgn=1&LH_ItemCondition=4&LH_BIN=1&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=12

I'm sure others will have more/better advice but it's a place to start.
Hey cranium thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I should probably say ebay and third party sellers are totally fine with me . BTW the second link you gave me does not work for some reason.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=roland+cube+30&_pgn=1&LH_ItemCondition=4&LH_BIN=1&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=12&redirect=mobile

Try this one. It's from my phone so maybe that's why. It's just the roland cube 30 on ebay search. Check out the vox AD30VT as well. It's great as well. I would start here before trading up guitars. There are plenty of great "value" guitars around.

PLEASE be careful and make sure you don't buy a bass amp. There are some cube bass amps I know for sure. Just a heads up.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Jan 18, 2015,
Thanks cranium! so many suggest the cubes and you can get them easily at a great price. I found the Vox Valvetronix VT20+ and looks like it could be a contender. Im not to worried about how loud it can get since im gonna be in my bedroom or messing around with friends.
Thanks DUffB for the suggestion but unfortunately that link is also not working for me
Dosam, I changed that link to a very cool G & L dual humbucker telecaster.

G/L is the company that Leo Fender formed after he sold Fender Corp. "G" stands for George, the name of his partner in Fender; and "L" stands for Leo, Fender's first name - Leo Fender.

These are great guitar designs and guitars. This import version is a very cool telecaster and you can be sure that no one else will be passing by your place with one of these. These are great guitars but G/L guitars are rare compared to Fenders, but reportedly quite well made, supposedly better made than Fenders.

It is a cool twin HB guitar.

Check it out. hthttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-deluxe-ii-electric-guitartp://
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-deluxe-ii-electric-guitar

By the way, I think you are thinking along the right lines to get a decent guitar to begin with, however one of the rules of thumb is to plan to spend as much on your amp as on your guitar. That leaves you short.

You could get a real nice Fender amp for 529 - a Fender Blues Junior. This is not a cheap junk amp, it's a serious amp that a lot of professional players use. It is small at fifteen tube watts, equal to 45 solid state watts according to the rule of thumb that one tube watt is equal to three solid state watts (1 tube watt = 3 ss watts). Plus it is not a digital, computerized amp. It is an analog circuit with a real reverb tank. The tube circuit is found in most all of the more desirable amps. It is small enough for your bedroom jamming and can be turned down very low, but it has a 12 inch speaker, that is preferred by most players and can be easily replaced by probably hundreds of different makes of other 12 inch speakers, some of which are very awesome at inexpensive prices well below a hundred. Speakers can make a big difference. The amp can also be fixed probably as long as you will ever need to think about it; parts will be available or easily made for many, many years to come. It is a tried and true design based on a classic circuit. Those digital and solid state amps can be very unreliable and expensive to fix, sometimes they are unfixable. The Blues Junior is very dependable and highly fixable by any knowledgeable amp man.

I think it is great that you want to start out with good equipment, but don't skimp on the amp. You will be very happy in the long run. See if you can somehow make the decent tube amp like the Blues Junior happen. You will be extra glad you did. Give it some thought, and good luck.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Thanks duff appreciate the help. There will not be any chance of me being able to spend an equal amount of lettuce on an amp unfortunately. I have money saved up from my winter job when I come home from school so the cash flow is not steady. I stumbled across the vox Valvetronix VT20+. It has a tube in it and is around 170 bucks with great reviews. What are your thoughts?
Quote by dosamwolfso
Thanks duff appreciate the help. There will not be any chance of me being able to spend an equal amount of lettuce on an amp unfortunately. I have money saved up from my winter job when I come home from school so the cash flow is not steady. I stumbled across the vox Valvetronix VT20+. It has a tube in it and is around 170 bucks with great reviews. What are your thoughts?

I'm not completely put off by the idea. I actually have a VT30 "Chromie", so called because of its distinguishing front chrome BBQ grill type grill cover. Mine is about two or three generations before yours and the next generation after the AD30VT. It is quite and awesome ten inch speaker amp. I like it a lot but play my tube amps most of the time. I get the VT30 down and play it though and I dig all the great amp models and effects, even if they don't sound like the things that they supposedly are supposed to be sounding like. It is a cool item in itself.

The VT20 should be adequate for your "stay at home" player status, at this time; unless you get one with the dreaded "snare drum sizzle". The Snare Drum Sizzle is a characteristic sizzling that has been found to ride on the decay of long sustaining notes with these amps. If you get one that is free of this design defect (uncorrectable) you will be doing well. My VT30 sounds great.

You might even want to do like I did and find a "Chromie". Mine is NOS, (new old stock), meaning that it was brand new but had gone unsold for a long time in the store. Some of these are still sitting around. I would look for the VT30 instead of the 15 - an all around nicer amp. You can spot these "Chromies" a mile away - you probably have already seen some in stores. All of these are used or NOS. I got my VT30 NOS for 135 brand new. Talk them down on these used amps. They got them for nothing, or they have been sitting around the shop so long that they have long ago depreciated to zero. They can definitely cut you some major slack on these. Look for some brightly gleaming, unsightly chromed, "Chromies". They can represent some good deals and they are physically quite durable. They all have the tube in them and it works well to warm up the tone.

I dig my Chromie.

Most problems with the Valvetronix amps can be fixed by doing a "system restore", as described at the valvetronix.net forum. Another thing that should be regularly done with these is to clean "all" of the jacks with "electronic contact cleaner" for guitars, available at guitar stores. It is called "DeOxit" and works well by spraying into the jack and then pushing the jack plug in and out several times, rapidly, to clean out the oxidation buildup. Doing this regularly will be well worth the cost and effort, which is minimal for maximum results.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Last edited by DuffB at Jan 18, 2015,
Thanks duff hmm sizzle noise huh. I would hate to have the amp have that problem then send it back. Out of curiosity what type of music u play?
I would think an Agile AL2000, a Peavey Vyper modeling amp and a ditto looper (for practice) would make a damn fine metal starter rig.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by dosamwolfso
Thanks duff hmm sizzle noise huh. I would hate to have the amp have that problem then send it back. Out of curiosity what type of music u play?

Being mostly a stay at home musician myself, for the last 55 plus years, I enjoy making up my own blues and rock songs mainly. I even play some modern Indie type things. My first instrument is the drums. I have brand new Pearl Vision special edition red sparkle lacquer paint (not wrap) drums and lots of Zildjian cymbals which are worth about twice as much as the drum set. I dig playing drums but have started to get into playing a lot of guitar since I retired twelve years ago at 52. I started collecting guitars and amps then.

One set of drums does me well, although if I had room I'd buy a second set and start teaching to interested people on a limited basis. I have a professional set of chrome trimmed Sonor Conga drums; three in the set - 9, 11.75, and 12.5 inch drums, each with its own basket stand. I dig working out rhythms on these Congas. You only really need one Conga to have fun though, and work on your timing and rhythms. These can be found very inexpensively if you google them. Sets of two are not necessary. Start small and build up a professional type set if you feel like it. You'd be surprised how much warming up on Congas can help your guitar playing.

I also dig jamming along to cd's and Youtubes. I just got a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 tablet and Otterbox cover and loaded it up with a lot of Youtubes. It plugs right into my mixing board's audio auxiliary input or on the aux. audio input on my sixty watt acoustic amp with aux. sound controls in my drum room for use there. These things work better than regular stereos, especially my mixing board and 1100 watt Yamaha PA speaker. I'm getting another one of these Yamaha PA speakers so I can have stereo in my den area that also has my amp station/computer workplace. I made it out of pressure treated two by twelves and have a lot of amp shelves and cool working amp areas, at arms length from my bed. I like to lay around and play or sit and play. I can crank it up because we live in a rural area with few neighbors and a large property.

I'm waiting for Adele's next release and listened to Hendrix and Fleetwood Mac earlier today. My son is a musician and is into all kinds of more contemporary music. He plays guitar, bass, acoustic, keyboards very well, and is a very decent vocalist. He has a regular job working for a state agency at this point and a girlfriend he lives with that has a one year old son. So I'm sure the music level is moderate at their apartment in Harrisburg, Pa. He plays electric there though and a nice Seagull maple acoustic I gave him. He wants a semi hollow electric at this point. I have been keeping him supplied with equipment and he has stuck to it for almost twenty years now. He started piano lessons when he was 5 or so and is going to be 24. So he can do amazing musical things that I am astounded by, needless to say.

I picked up my first "free" junk acoustic guitar when I was about 19 and have been playing since but these days I'm more serious, although I don't have the fun we used to have jamming up a storm and playing in bands. Jamming with friends is the most fun. It's not too serious and represents a form of freedom I guess.

Stick with trying to get the best equipment you can get. If you can get a decent guitar, like you said you are working on, do it. You will be glad. G and L and the PRS SE line are great places to get good import guitars. The G/L guitars will show up on deals and on the deal of the day at MF or American Musical Supply.com, now and then. MF has some good deals on these great import brands right now.

A lot of the import brands are mainly going to rip you off for a lot of value that you won't be getting for your money, but G/L and PRS will give you unbelievable value for the money.

I just bought a brand new Gibson Les Paul Junior for 822 negotiated. I found it totally necessary to have the gforce auto tuners stripped off and Gibson/Grover manual metal sealed, lubricated, tuning machines with metal buttons put on it. It is now a classic looking Les Paul Junior. I had to pay for it but it is what I want and it sounds incredible. It was many, many years before I had my first USA Gibson. An Epiphone is not a Gibson; like a Volkswagen is not a BMW.
Quote by lucky1978
I would think an Agile AL2000, a Peavey Vyper modeling amp and a ditto looper (for practice) would make a damn fine metal starter rig.

I totally agree about the Agile AL2000 but would recommend, of course, the AL3010, AL3001, AL3100, AL3100M, or AL3200 because of the ebony fretboard and other improvements for only about a hundred more and still less than five hundred, actually four hundred or less, some of them closer to three hundred.

Check out rondomusic.com for a mind blowing experience. This is the sole distributor of Agile guitars in the USA.

I am not a big fan of the Peavey Vypyr digital computerized modelling amps (and am less of a fan of "Line 6"), but dig the new inexpensive Peavey ValveKing II heads and combo's. They sound really good. The Vox VT20+ sounds great and is an interesting tube based "hybrid" type amp that brings a lot of tube technology to the table at the same price or less.

A nephew of mine just got ride of a Peavey Vypyr and got a brand new black Fender Blues Junior. He digs the Blues Junior with his new Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat. He was fortunate to get those two items during the same week, mainly as gifts. The Fender strat was very expensive.
Last edited by DuffB at Jan 19, 2015,
Quote by DuffB

Looks nice.

Also very correct on the 20 to 30 difference. I had a 15vt and sold it to get the 30. Night and day difference in my opinion. I appreciate the "better" modeling amp because of the variety personally. It would be great to have an old blackface tube amp and every pedal you can imagine but that's obviously a stretch.
Last edited by cranium2001 at Jan 19, 2015,
This is an example of an Agile Al3xxx that you can get for very reasonable money, usually less than 500. I have to reload the rondomusic.com page to see the exact price, but these are great guitars for small money. Way better than Epiphones, etc.

Last edited by DuffB at Jan 19, 2015,