Page 1 of 2
I have a ehx soulfood which I like but a creation audio holyfire that I love. The latter can do anything the SF can then some. Any point in having two?
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
I have a ehx soulfood which I like but a creation audio holyfire that I love. The latter can do anything the SF can then some. Any point in having two?

yeah, try stacking them. I do it with Tube-screamers sometimes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I tried stacking sf is kinda bottom heavy.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I use a compressor as a clean boost, so, if that counts, I use one as a boost for cleans only (the compressor) and I use the Soul Food to boost gain sounds. I also use the Soul Food to bring the volume of my amp down to play in my apartment late at night, its great for that.

Though I don't know that I've noticed anyone with 2 straight up clean boosts.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I don't use the SF for dirt at all just the clean but the holyfire does it better and has good od/dist if I need it.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Set 'em up differently. If you have a need for different lead sounds, you're set to go. Otherwise, give me the SF.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sf might very well be on its way out.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Are you selling it cheap? I'm in Cleveland and I'm curious to try one for normal use and one as a buffer at the end of my chain or maybe to boost my wah.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Hey there now, boyo. I got in first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Hey there now, boyo. I got in first.

I'm closer!
Quote by RJH11
Any point in having two?
More clean gain.

The soul food though isn't a clean boost, so more gain and different tones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ it's pretty much clean with the gain down. word on the net is a klon's diodes don't clip when gain is down low. (though i think the op-amp clips before the diodes do)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
SF sounds pretty clean to me. Still its on its way out due to Holy Fire being completely clean.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Easy, one for boosting gain and one for boosting volume.

Have one before your OD and one after.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ very true I'll mess about tonight but the SF is so bottom heavy its kinda muddy for boosting either way IMO.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Yeah it won't hurt to try it out but yeah the SF is a bit bottom-y. Though I actually like the color it gives my drive tones for boosting. Reminds me of 80s Schenker

Not the greatest for tight metal style boost though. Had an SD-1 for that but tossed that one out recently
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by RJH11
^ very true I'll mess about tonight but the SF is so bottom heavy its kinda muddy for boosting either way IMO.

Yeah that's why you probably want an overdrive (tubescreamer or sd1-style) for boosting rather than a clean boost. that's pretty much par for the course with them. everyone goes on about "transparent this" and "transparent that" and, while that's good for some things (if you want to change your tone as little as possible), in a lot of situations (boosting for higher gain tones) you actually don't want it to be transparent, you want a bass cut.

or at very least one of the more transparent overdrives which has a bass control. E.g. timmy, xotic RC boost/mooer pure boost, digitech screamin blues etc.

I agree with you, I find the SF too tubby for boosting higher gain tones. I like it as an all-round pretty nice pedal which will do several things (and which has a nice buffer), but I'd never use it as a boost where I needed bass cut.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Whats wrong with having 2 different boosts?

I have 3 - an EHX east river drive (TS type), a compressor & a TC Spark which all get used as boosts at different times. That's on top of using my amp's drive channel as my main lead solo boost. They all have different sounds which are useful for different songs.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
There's nothing per say wrong with it but I usually playing with a fair amount of gain and the SF is just not versatile enough to cut the bass down giving me a flubby fatty sound when going for a tight percussive tone. The Holy fire on the other hand has a great bass cut and totally transparent clean boost when used as such a lot I believe comes from the 48 volt powering of the pedal. And less clutter on my board is better for my tone and my Ocd not the pedal lol.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I usually play on single coil guitars, I don't really notice any flubbiness, if there is, its probably why I dig the pedal. 48v sounds pretty crazy. I have a 9-18v od pedal, does more volts equal more gain?

V Hmm...guess I'll stick with the 9v then. Thanks for answering.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 19, 2015,
No, it means more headroom. 9V isn't really enough to get op-amps rolling fully. The only reason we use 9V in pedals is the 9v battery. It really isn't enough.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^+1 the extra voltage allows for a very transparent clean boost and also a very organic and unique overdrive and distortion. Cath if your serious about the Sf let me know I'd swap it for a cheap fuzz at this point.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Yeah, I would like it. Gotta buy a new speaker for the RM20 more atm but still .... if the price is right.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you have a fuzz laying about between 40/50 USD I'd swap you I've had SF for two weeks never gigged still have box receipt for year warranty I sent in and all. I'll ship to you you ship to me.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I've never actually owned a fuzz - I don't like them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Different OD/Eq/chorus/delay any guitar related pedals or humbuckers that would be a fair swap on both ends would suffice.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Got a tele? I have a pair of quarter pounders for tele that I don't need.

Actually. I also have a Dano Fish n chips and an old MIJ Boss CE2 that I don't use any more
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'll give you $40 for the SF. I'm in Cali.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Caths got first dibs sorry guys.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
The CE2's got the 9V mod too btw. I reckon that'd be a fair exchange. You'll be the fourth UG'er to own it I think.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sounds good let's move this to PM work out the details.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
'k
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah the klon circuit only cuts bass when you start turning up the gain.
Quote by Cathbard
Actually. I also have a Dano Fish n chips and an old MIJ Boss CE2 that I don't use any more

my old ce-2! damn i miss it. would almost consider buying it back off you.
Never had a Ce2 pretty good sounding are they???
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Great I'm stoked
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
You're getting a good deal, the CE-2 is the classic Boss chorus.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification