I have Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric guitar, GHS Mustaine signature strings, 1.00mm Clayton Acetal rounded triangle guitar picks and an Peavey 26W compo amp. I also have Epiphone LP Custom Pro (I don't play it for metal) and Korg Pitchblack Chromatic pedal tuner.

I'm seeking for a pedal to play harder metal. However, these is so many distortion, boost and overdrive pedals for metal. There are Digitech Death Metal distortion, Digitech Metal Master distortion, Boss Metal Core distortion and Boss Metal Zone pedals. There are others come to mind. I don't mind the price to own one.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts on pedals. If there are other brands of pedals, feel free to comment. Thank you!

PS. Please be in positive and good attitude.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Eh... Real good metal tone comes from an amp, not a pedal. Just go try out some pedals at a store and see what sounds good to you. But also, start looking at amps if you're serious about metal tone.
If the amp has good cleans you could try boosting a rat with a tubescreamer or boss sd1 don't know how great it will sound without tubes though.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by the_bi99man
Eh... Real good metal tone comes from an amp, not a pedal. Just go try out some pedals at a store and see what sounds good to you. But also, start looking at amps if you're serious about metal tone.

I'm also planning to get a good amp and about getting one pretty soon. I still think Line 6 Spider IV 75W amp is a great for my music.

Thanks for saying that, BTW.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
You definitely need to go try amps. You're way too green to know what amp suits you best. If you wanna save some money, spend the next month trying out as many amps as you can...then decide. I mean no offense whatsoever, I'm no Slash myself, but only someone who has very little experience on very few, very limited amplifiers would describe a spider as "great".
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I don't think any of those "Uber metal XXX" pedals are going to do anything for you that the Insane channel on the spider doesn't already do. They more or less just scoop the mids and add massive amounts of distortion. It doesn't matter whether the spider is good or not so much as that you're not getting anything out of those pedals that the amp doesn't already do.

Perhaps you'll re-evaluate after getting a few more months of playing under your belt and find that you have a better use for that money. For now, I think you've got more than enough gear to start out with and you might want to get used to it before you start throwing redundant pedals at a modeling amp.
save your money for a better amp. maybe a peavey vypyr tube 60
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Pod Hd500x
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Good amp first, distortion pedals after if they are even necessary in the first place. Even then i would look into preamp pedals that go into the FX Return of the amp, like AMT legend pedals or amptweakers offerings. Typical fizz boxes tend to sound like shit compared to good amp distortion.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Hal-Sephira
I'm also planning to get a good amp and about getting one pretty soon. I still think Line 6 Spider IV 75W amp is a great for my music.

Thanks for saying that, BTW.

Another thing to keep in mind is that pedals only sound as good as the amp lets them. As someone else said a bit ago, most of the popular heavy metal dist/od stompboxes out there aren't going to do much that you don't get from the Spider's "Insane" setting, especially if you're running them through that amp. Most of them are made to overdrive tubes, as thus sound their best when run through a tube amp, and are often used to get good distortion out of all-clean tube amps without their own distortion channels.

But yeah, whether it's all-clean or if it has an od/distortion channel, a nice tube amp will not only sound better in general, but it'll let good pedals truly shine.
No Spider. No. UG has conditioned me to not ever recommend a Spider.

What's the actual amp model of your Peavey? I can't find anything on it.

For $300 (the price of the 75W Spider) you could def snag a decent combo amp. You're not going to get a very convincing metal sound with just a pedal. :/ Try some amps/do some research and find a good sound that you want, buy that amp, then buy an overdrive/boosting pedal to thicken up and tighten your sound.

For $200, I use a Roland Cube 20X and a clean boost. I have some darn br00tal tones from just that.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 19, 2015,
Originally Posted by Hal-Sephira

This basically.
But If you do decide for a pedal, stay far away from the Boss Metal Zone and Metalcore.
Quote by Rowan_Hogg
This basically.
But If you do decide for a pedal, stay far away from the Boss Metal Zone and Metalcore.

That's for sure.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
id def recommend amplitube 3 and guitar rig 5 if you have a pc capable of running it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Jan 19, 2015,
Quote by romeozdistress
id def recommend aplitube 3 and guitar rig 5 if you have a pc capable of running it.

I'd honestly recommend LePou over any of those VSTs if he wants to go that route.

S-Gear too. Much better than AT3/GR5.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd honestly recommend LePou over any of those VSTs if he wants to go that route.

S-Gear too. Much better than AT3/GR5.

yeah? ill have to check those out.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah? ill have to check those out.

Keep in mind, the LePou stuff is free and S-gear is a paid program.

But yeah, check them out, I think the LePou stuff sounds great. Especially with the right cabinet impulses.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Keep in mind, the LePou stuff is free and S-gear is a paid program.

But yeah, check them out, I think the LePou stuff sounds great. Especially with the right cabinet impulses.

nice, ill def check it out. im pretty sure i have reaper. btw where can i find the cabs?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Jan 19, 2015,