Quote by DudeIsOnFire
I think
the snare is too quite
but the cymbals are too loud
and the kick's volume fluctuates.

Thanks...I I'll fix them .... what about the rest ? Is it okay ?
Intro clean tone is too bright and piercing. I see where you were trying to go with it, but it sounds like you just processed the DIs without any amp on them.

Honestly, the drums are just so overpowering that it's hard to even hear anything else. The rhythm guitar once everything comes in is so buried and muddy that you can't hear many distinguishable notes.

I actually prefer the lead tone in your version to the original. It's a little fizzier than I'd like, but it's much clearer and works nicely IMO.

The kick drum is super loud and splatty. It sounds like the kick off of a bad electric kit. The snare is almost nonexistant in the mix and actually sounds more like I'd want the kick drum to sound in this mix The cymbals are very robotic sounding and too loud in the mix, as well.

The bass mix with the rhythm guitar actually seems to be fairly well balanced (though I'm just listening through headphones atm).

I think most of your problems are just the balance in volume between things. If you adjusted them to be better heard throughout the song, you'd have a much more solid mix right off the bat. Focus on the levels of each instrument, THEN start mixing them to enhance their sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Intro clean tone is too bright and piercing. I see where you were trying to go with it, but it sounds like you just processed the DIs without any amp on them.

Honestly, the drums are just so overpowering that it's hard to even hear anything else. The rhythm guitar once everything comes in is so buried and muddy that you can't hear many distinguishable notes.

I actually prefer the lead tone in your version to the original. It's a little fizzier than I'd like, but it's much clearer and works nicely IMO.

The kick drum is super loud and splatty. It sounds like the kick off of a bad electric kit. The snare is almost nonexistant in the mix and actually sounds more like I'd want the kick drum to sound in this mix The cymbals are very robotic sounding and too loud in the mix, as well.

The bass mix with the rhythm guitar actually seems to be fairly well balanced (though I'm just listening through headphones atm).

I think most of your problems are just the balance in volume between things. If you adjusted them to be better heard throughout the song, you'd have a much more solid mix right off the bat. Focus on the levels of each instrument, THEN start mixing them to enhance their sound.

Thanks a lot. I'll definitely keep these in mind in my next mixes

as a matter of fact i'll mix the same stuff again , but this time keeping in mind all the feedback i got , and post it here

Thanks again
Well, I was gonna make a quick mix now, but Reaper crashed before I rendered the track, so f*ck it. Anyway, my first advice is: take the original mix and place it in your DAW after your mix and keep it muted while you mix and use it as a reference to make your mix better. And use a difference cab impulse response for your guitars.
By the way, what plugins are you using for drums, guitars and bass?
I don't usually do these, but I'm working on the computer and need a break: (and these guys are a great band from the city I call home, so... )

There's a lot good going on. The intro guitar sound is nice, if not a little too reverb-y. The reverb makes it sound farther away than you want it to, I think. I like the rhythm guitar sound overall. Chunky and not too fizzy. The performances are overall quite good. The guitars and bass are tight with each other, but there are some minor timing issues - nothing too serious though - between those parts and the drums.

The biggest weakness is your drum sound. It's a bit of a mess, actually. Fixing this alone would make a big difference to the overall effect. Aside from sounding fake, the snare is almost completely lost. My personal taste is a nice tight and bright snare right up the middle, but even just general practice for the genre, you want to get that snare to smash through the overheads. I'd probably dial in a snare sound I like, probably a bit of a deeper/meatier snare sound, and then bring up the overheads just enough that they add a little space and brightness to the solo snare track. Too much overheads in a genre like this makes it sound trashier than tight... and you want the opposite. This genre calls for tiiiiiight! That means your drums have to sound tight and sound very controlled.

The lead guitar sounds weren't as good as the rhythm sounds. I agree with the post above that said the lead guitar intro sounded too piercing, and then when the lead guitar comes in again at around 2:20 and 3:10, the notes are not very discernable. They get smeared in the mix. Maybe try the neck pickup for this? Or at least back off on the gain a bit. Or try a different guitar that will live in its own space apart from the other guitar. It needs something to set it apart from the other guitar parts.

Overall, I'd think about this too... it takes all of us some time to figure out why the low-mids in our mixes sound like muck. Use subtractive EQ (cutting frequencies you don't need) to get rid of some of this. Roll off the guitars maybe somewhere around 150hz. You won't hear a difference once you find the right place in the actual guitar sound (once they're mixed in), but you'll certainly make more room for the bass guitar to let it pop out! Maybe roll off some of the top end of the bass for the same effect, giving the guitars some air.

The lower mids are a real devil, though, because you often have guitars, bass, kick drum and even some toms going on down there, all fighting for space. Cut the stuff you don't need to let them breathe a little!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by guitarpro2play
Well, I was gonna make a quick mix now, but Reaper crashed before I rendered the track, so f*ck it. Anyway, my first advice is: take the original mix and place it in your DAW after your mix and keep it muted while you mix and use it as a reference to make your mix better. And use a difference cab impulse response for your guitars.
By the way, what plugins are you using for drums, guitars and bass?

thanks a lot for the feedback

what IR's would you suggest ?

for drums i used "FPC" , a sort of sample-loader vst that comes pre-installed with FL studio , and used FL studio's built in reverb and compressor .

for guitars i used a tube screamer vst (i don't quite remember which , either TSE 808 or TSB-1 or TS-999) , into lepou LE456 for rhythm and legion for lead , into lecab 2 with cartharsis impulses. for reverbs , i use either built-in "fruity reverb" or REFLEX . for the pitch shift-delay intro thingy i used amplitube's pedals.

I've zero experience with bass , just used amplitube's green bass amp into a compressor
Quote by axemanchris
I don't usually do these, but I'm working on the computer and need a break: (and these guys are a great band from the city I call home, so... )

There's a lot good going on. The intro guitar sound is nice, if not a little too reverb-y. The reverb makes it sound farther away than you want it to, I think. I like the rhythm guitar sound overall. Chunky and not too fizzy. The performances are overall quite good. The guitars and bass are tight with each other, but there are some minor timing issues - nothing too serious though - between those parts and the drums.

The biggest weakness is your drum sound. It's a bit of a mess, actually. Fixing this alone would make a big difference to the overall effect. Aside from sounding fake, the snare is almost completely lost. My personal taste is a nice tight and bright snare right up the middle, but even just general practice for the genre, you want to get that snare to smash through the overheads. I'd probably dial in a snare sound I like, probably a bit of a deeper/meatier snare sound, and then bring up the overheads just enough that they add a little space and brightness to the solo snare track. Too much overheads in a genre like this makes it sound trashier than tight... and you want the opposite. This genre calls for tiiiiiight! That means your drums have to sound tight and sound very controlled.

The lead guitar sounds weren't as good as the rhythm sounds. I agree with the post above that said the lead guitar intro sounded too piercing, and then when the lead guitar comes in again at around 2:20 and 3:10, the notes are not very discernable. They get smeared in the mix. Maybe try the neck pickup for this? Or at least back off on the gain a bit. Or try a different guitar that will live in its own space apart from the other guitar. It needs something to set it apart from the other guitar parts.

Overall, I'd think about this too... it takes all of us some time to figure out why the low-mids in our mixes sound like muck. Use subtractive EQ (cutting frequencies you don't need) to get rid of some of this. Roll off the guitars maybe somewhere around 150hz. You won't hear a difference once you find the right place in the actual guitar sound (once they're mixed in), but you'll certainly make more room for the bass guitar to let it pop out! Maybe roll off some of the top end of the bass for the same effect, giving the guitars some air.

The lower mids are a real devil, though, because you often have guitars, bass, kick drum and even some toms going on down there, all fighting for space. Cut the stuff you don't need to let them breathe a little!

CT

thanks a lot ! that's definitely some nice info

as for the performance and timing ,I didn't make the DI tracks myself , just mixed them

thanks a lot for the tips on eq-ing and levels . yeah i relly need to work out the drums , they're really a mess..thanks a lot !