Page 1 of 2
Kid misses birthday party and sent an invoice for fifteen quid.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/five-year-old-misses-friends-birthday-party-and-has-to-pay-1595

"The parents of a five-year-old schoolboy have been invoiced for failing to attend a school friend’s birthday party and have been threatened with legal action if they do not pay.

Derek Nash and Tanya Walsh found a brown envelope with a £15.95 “no show fee” left in their son Alex’s schoolbag last week, sent by his classmate’s mother Julie Lawrence.

Lawrence claims that Alex’s failure to attend her child’s birthday party has left her out of pocket, and that his parents had her details to tell her that their son would not be attending.

Nash said he had been told he would be taken to small claims court for refusing to pay.

It all started with an invitation to the birthday party just before Christmas at the Plymouth Ski Slope and Snowboard Centre. Alex – who attends a local nursery in Torpoint, Cornwall – told his parents he wanted to go, so they confirmed he would be at the party.

However, his parents realised on the day that Alex had been double-booked to spend time with his grandparents.

His mother told Apex News, “Julie Lawrence and I weren’t friends, we didn’t talk to each other at school, but I felt bad about Alex not going to the party.”

“I searched for the party invite afterwards and I’m not sure we even had one.”

She added: “But to be invoiced like this is so over the top – I’ve never heard of anything like it. It’s a terrible way of handling it – it’s very condescending.”

Nash said he did not have the contact details of Julie Lawrence, and so could not let her know on the day.

After he found the letter he visited Lawrence, as her address was on the invoice, and “told her I would not be paying her the money”.

“It was a proper invoice with full official details and even her bank details on it.” He added: “I can understand that she’s upset about losing money. The money isn’t the issue, it’s the way she went about trying to get the money from me.”

“She didn’t treat me like a human being,” he said.

In a short statement, Lawrence said: “All details were on the party invite. They had every detail needed to contact me.”

This has made national news over here,

thoughts Pit?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
My thoughts were "How is this a news story" Then I saw all the tabloids reporting on it and seeing the Independent, Guardian and the other broadsheets reporting it. Must be a slow news day or something.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
What a tight bitch, you don't shake people down for a missed kid's birthday party that puts you out of pocket unless it's a large amount and even then you talk to them face to face, calmly and in a dignified manner
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Bladez22

Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
My thoughts were "How is this a news story" Then I saw all the tabloids reporting on it and seeing the Independent, Guardian and the other broadsheets reporting it. Must be a slow news day or something.

tbf their readership are the exact type of middle class who can relate to this story.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
tbf their readership are the exact type of middle class who can relate to this story.

I can't. We moved over to Glasgow when I was 6, and my birthday is right in the middle of the Glasgow fair(not so much these days, but that was basically the 2 weeks in the summer when all of Glasgow got their summer holidays, except my dad, apparently), so everyone from school was on holiday. No parties for me.
I never had any birthday parties as a kid because:
- didn't generally have enough money to afford paying for other kids

- inner city schools where most everyone couldn't afford parties, except maybe small ones

- I only ever had a few friends (has not changed. maybe has gotten worse? idk/idc.) and moved schools to often to get close enough to have a small friends only party. by the time we had settled and I had gotten some close friends, I was in secondary school and birthday parties aren't cool for teens unless you have money to burn on something crazy (we didn't)

also, as an adult who can probable afford a party no problem now, I don't really celebrate my birthday. I barely tolerate hb posts on facebook and the like. oh and receiving gifts, but only because I like giving gifts and so have to accept reciprocation.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
I never had any birthday parties as a kid because:
- didn't generally have enough money to afford paying for other kids

- inner city schools where most everyone couldn't afford parties, except maybe small ones

- I only ever had a few friends (has not changed. maybe has gotten worse? idk/idc.) and moved schools to often to get close enough to have a small friends only party. by the time we had settled and I had gotten some close friends, I was in secondary school and birthday parties aren't cool for teens unless you have money to burn on something crazy (we didn't)

also, as an adult who can probable afford a party no problem now, I don't really celebrate my birthday. I barely tolerate hb posts on facebook and the like. oh and receiving gifts, but only because I like giving gifts and so have to accept reciprocation.
TBH, none of the kids at my school(at least, none of those who had parties I git invited to, anyway) had a party anywhere except at home. There was food(usually a few bowls of crisps, sweets, and whatever buffet food got picked up from the supermarket freezer aisle), and the drinks were just squash.
TBH, none of the parents would have put up with any whiny shite about going to a climbing center.
kids bd parties are serious business

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
She's going to take them to court for breach of contract? Because invitations are legally binding documents? The ****?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by JamSessionFreak
kids bd parties are serious business

Kids bidet parties? That sounds really middle class AND ****ed up.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Kids bidet parties? That sounds really middle class AND ****ed up.

HEY EVERYONE LETS PLAY MARCO POLO IN LITTLE TIMMY'S BIDET

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by guitarist41
She's going to take them to court for breach of contract? Because invitations are legally binding documents? The ****?

Always read the fine print.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by TheChaz
That's hella outta pocket.

Yea, I can see that family will be eating cold beans out of the tin for weeks because of this.
Quote by MetalMullet
Julie Lawrence? That's a weird name for a jew.

Legitimately best post I've seen in a long time.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
The BBC's law consultant has said the following. The final paragraph is genius.

It is all but impossible that Ms Lawrence will be able to recover the £15.95 party "no show fee".

Any claim would be on the basis that a contract had been created, which included a term that a "no show" fee would be charged.

However, for there to be a contract, there needs to be an intention to create legal relations. A child's party invitation would not create legal relations with either the child "guest" or its parents.

If it is being argued that the contract is with the child, it is inconceivable that a five-year-old would be seen by a court as capable of creating legal relations and entering into a contract with a "no show" charge.

It's amusing to imagine what a children's party invitation seeking to create a contract might say: "I, the 'first party', hereinafter referred to as the 'birthday boy', cordially invite you the 'second party', hereinafter referred to as 'my best friend', to the party of 'the first party'.
Quote by Drop -D
only in america

did you even read the OP?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
brb suing all my childhood friends for multi-million dollar verbal contract bets I've won
I read this earlier.

Imagine ruining one of your child's friendships and your own reputation over £15.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by slapsymcdougal
TBH, none of the kids at my school(at least, none of those who had parties I git invited to, anyway) had a party anywhere except at home. There was food(usually a few bowls of crisps, sweets, and whatever buffet food got picked up from the supermarket freezer aisle), and the drinks were just squash.
TBH, none of the parents would have put up with any whiny shite about going to a climbing center.

well on top of all that we were vegan too and didn't eat sweets or chocolate. no one would have gone to my party and it wasn't until my teens that we moved to a nice middle class area where other parents would be ecstatic to accommodate other diets.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
If she wins I will move to an uninhabited island somewhere in the pacific. I don't care if it floods soon.

edit: Ah **** seems like I have created a contract with myself now.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
being forced to sue yourself for breach of contract sounds like your standard episode of some jokey lawyer show.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by Pastafarian96
did you even read the OP?

Honestly sounds like something that would happen in America
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Cardbored
Honestly sounds like something that would happen in America

Was surprised when I read it was Plymouth UK to be honest...
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Was surprised when I read it was Plymouth UK to be honest...

I thought they still used pre-decimal currency down there.
And then the kid never had friends again

How this even remotely sounded like a good idea to them is crazy.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

That's it, I'm suing for all those broken pinky swears from primary school

But seriously, even in a small claims court, A) Why bother? and B) You need to prove some sort of contract was made.....highly doubt an invitation counts.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
That's it, I'm suing for all those broken pinky swears from primary school

But seriously, even in a small claims court, A) Why bother? and B) You need to prove some sort of contract was made.....highly doubt an invitation counts.

This whole thing is competitive parenting and dickishness brought to a whole new level.
Way to bring your kids into the national (even international) spot light. I remember my mom made me apologize to another kid for something in front of everybody once. I still remember how embarrassed I was and I was six. If she did it in front of CNN, I would never have left my room again.

Btw, how much is 15 quid? Ten, twenty dollars?
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
Way to bring your kids into the national (even international) spot light. I remember my mom made me apologize to another kid for something in front of everybody once. I still remember how embarrassed I was and I was six. If she did it in front of CNN, I would never have left my room again.

Btw, how much is 15 quid? Ten, twenty dollars?

about $20.

FWIW, it costs a little over $40 to make the claim in a Small Claims Court.
Quote by MetalMullet
Julie Lawrence? That's a weird name for a jew.

lol
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Page 1 of 2