Hey guys, wanted to get some good opinions and thoughts regarding this situation.

I'll be getting my first 8 string soon, its a 27" scale.
I like a nice tight feel to all of my strings but I'm not used to the 8 string sets yet.
Ill be moving around tunings slightly from drop E to f# standard and such.

In the UK string sets are pretty limited. (Waiting for those new GHS 8 Boomers to come over here)

Which gauge do you think would be best for me?
10-74 (Seems like a good standard but I'm worried It will be a little slack on lower strings)

or 09-80 (Ernie ball, like the thickness on low end but will higher strings be a bit loose?)

Cheers guys!

P.s any thoughts on the New GHS Boomers for 8 strings if any of you have tried them? (http://www.ghsstrings.com/products/11336-boomers-8-string) Not available in UK yet.
At that scale length 9s will not be slack on the high end at all. Though with a 27 inch scale I'd still want something along the lines of D'Addario's light top heavy bottom 8 string set (10-76) but with an 80 on the bottom at least.

Guitarstringsonline.com will let you build a custom set with D'Addrio, Dunlop, Elixer ect. If you're going for drop E try 10-13-17-30-42-54-64-80.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Woah! Thanks so much Stig!! Unlimited gratitude to you!

Cheers! I will get that recommended custom set.

Thanks, this seriously fixed my problem!
If you like the tension of certain strings on a certain guitar there's also the string tension pro (http://www.stringtensionpro.com/). Plug in the gauges, tuning and scale length to view the tension, then plug in your new scale length and new tuning and adjust the gauge to get your preferred tension. Then order your custom set based off that. But the 10-80 I gave you should be a good starting point.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I use DAddario's 10-74 set, albeit on a 25.5'' scale.

IMO it's ******ed. The 4 central strings are stiff as hell, while the 4 outer strings, namely your low F# and B, and your high b and e, are not. In numbers, the low F# has about 15lbs of tension, while your low A has 27, and again, your three highest strings have 15-17.

Now, if the 8th through 4th were all 27lbs, would have been acceptable. Or if it was 27 on the F# and steadily dropped till 17 on the 3rd, would have still been great.

I dont get the logic behind so much tension on precisely those strings that don't need so much tension, and none where it is actually needed.

That said, I'm finding 74 just very slightly too flappy on my guitar, I'd prefer to use a 76 I guess...so I expect on a 27'' I would personally find it more than stiff enough. Again, you need to keep personal preference in mind.

What string guages do you like on your 6's? Why not calculate the tension on them and order a similar custom set for your 8?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jan 19, 2015,