I recently bought a MIM strat a month ago. I was practicing tone bends on the high e and my string pops. This happened to me before on my les paul special II on the same string, and the same routine. I was just improvinsing with the g major scale and it popped. Should I just stop tone bending the high e. I just did a tone bend from the 3-5 on the high e then it just pops.
Maybe put a thinner gauge of strings on?

There's a few reasons why that could be happening, string gauge is my best bet
Quote by Rowan_Hogg
Maybe put a thinner gauge of strings on?

There's a few reasons why that could be happening, string gauge is my best bet

I dont really know much about string gauges to be honest. What do you recommend?
What gauge and what tuning?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
What gauge and what tuning?

Idk what strings I never changed them. They're the standard set of strings on a mim strat. For tuning, I was just playing in standard tuning.
How long have you had the guitar? If you're never changed the strings and it's been a few months then it just may be time. Probably a 9-46 set stock. Try some 10s.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by LikeWater
Idk what strings I never changed them. They're the standard set of strings on a mim strat. For tuning, I was just playing in standard tuning.

Ernie Ball 10-52 is what I use for standard(actually, for anything to Drop C) and they're great for that. If the string broke at the nut, then don't bend that hard man. These things are gentle.

If near to the bridge then the saddle might be a bit sharp. Try to sand it down with sandpaper if that's the case.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by TheStig1214
How long have you had the guitar? If you're never changed the strings and it's been a few months then it just may be time. Probably a 9-46 set stock. Try some 10s.

I only had it for a month
Quote by LikeWater
I only had it for a month

If the strings were stock then that might also be the problem. Stock strings are usually crap.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You should be able to bend a high e string with no problem.

Where is it breaking at?

My guess is that the strings were not hand stretched before final tune up when installed.

I didn't really take note of that but after it was broken the string was still hanging out of the bridge slot. So I guess it broke at the nut
Quote by LikeWater
I didn't really take note of that but after it was broken the string was still hanging out of the bridge slot. So I guess it broke at the nut

Don't bend that hard then. overbending is just as bad as not-as-much bending
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
If the strings were stock then that might also be the problem. Stock strings are usually crap.

Maybe. I'll just change it and go from there. Could the stock strings also be why they sometimes grind against my frets when I bend?
Quote by LikeWater
Maybe. I'll just change it and go from there. Could the stock strings also be why they sometimes grind against my frets when I bend?

Stock strings are generally crap, or you're just digging into them too much.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Stock strings are generally crap, or you're just digging into them too much.

I guess technique is important. I just figured since I was able to tone bend I was getting better at it
sorry to bother you guys again but i have another issue. When i was restringing the high e I notice that the bridge was making a little noise as if something was moving the bridge while I was turning the tuning pegs. Could it just be that the ball end of the string was just moving around in there? I'm just afraid i might bend the string again and it pulls the entire bridge off. The bridge wasn't moving by the way im just scared i might break it.
Quote by LikeWater
sorry to bother you guys again but i have another issue. When i was restringing the high e I notice that the bridge was making a little noise as if something was moving the bridge while I was turning the tuning pegs. Could it just be that the ball end of the string was just moving around in there? I'm just afraid i might bend the string again and it pulls the entire bridge off. The bridge wasn't moving by the way im just scared i might break it.

Yeah, probably the ball end. Nothing to worry about.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by LikeWater

strings will only last so long, mine last 1 month at most and when I tour, a new set of strings every night
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
"New" is not a term I'd use for the strings on new guitars. How long did it hang on a rack before you bought it? How many 16 year olds' sweaty hands have handled it?

New strings are always required when I buy any guitar, new off the rack or well used in a pawn shop. You didn't know that, I don't mean it to be derogatory. Just explaining, even if you ordered it online, there's no telling how old the strings actually are or what condition they are actually in, so new ones are generally a good idea.

New guitars generally have .009 gauge strings, I would recommend .010, that's what I played for many years until they started to make my left wrist sore and I switched to .009.

Grinding against the frets shouldn't be a major issue, new frets often aren't all that smooth, a little use will wear them a little and they should smooth out. I have the same thing when I do a fret leveling job if I don't polish them out enough. The strings are harder metal than the frets, they should smooth out with a little playing. If you're worried about it, take off all the strings and polish them just a little with the finest fingernail board you can find, some 0000 steel wool, 600 grit sandpaper, or fine grit Cratex. Go very lightly it doesn't take much. I wouldn't worry about it, a little use and it will smooth out.

If the guitar is that new I would try new strings and see what happens, you should be able to bend at least 2 full steps (same as 4 frets) with no problems, I bend old strings more than that daily.

If it broke at the bridge and continues to do so, it has a burr on a saddle, it's new and should still be under warranty, take it to the store and have them look at it.

If it broke at the nut and still does, same thing. If you still have a warranty, use it.

My opinion, old strings. Put on some new ones and play, you shouldn't have any problems unless it has a burr at a saddle, which is not all that common with new guitars, but does occasionally happen. Probably a simple thing, old strings...been played a bunch of times by a bunch of people, PING...time for new ones.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Fryderyczek
Don't bend that hard then. overbending is just as bad as not-as-much bending

Nonsense!

The only reasons for string failure when bending are hardware related (sharp edges, old strings etc.) or as noted earlier, improper initial installation.

If the string is still somewhere on the fingerboard, you aren't "overbending"...

I've got hands the size of dinner plates (10" span, thick fingers, finding gloves that fit is a bitch!) and can stuff strings pretty far, and I have never broken a properly installed string on a guitar I knew to be in good order by bending.

One man's opinion/experience, YMMV.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I agree with Arby, that's what I meant by my comment that I bend strings more than 2 steps or 4 frets daily. I've actually tried to break them and couldn't do it...all 4 fingers, little E string right up off the fret board, wouldn't break...

If you break a string bending it, look for a hardware problem or an old, dead string.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...