So I made a post yesterday about getting a second first guitar because I didnt know if I was gonna be able to fix the issues the first on had but im pretty sure it is fixable. I want this post to be a little more specific so the question is what is a decent modeling amp for under 300 bucks new or used. The amp im using right now is a line 6 spider IV 15 watt and i dont like it all that much so im gonna return it. The tone I want can best be heard in the song vicarious by tool(other songs by them as well). Its a heavy tone and the amp im using now just needs to be a little darker and beefier. So I need an amp that can produce heavy and all around beefier tones. I know tools guitarist Adam Jones uses several marshalls so I know exact tone is impossible to achieve but like I said just a heavier beefier tone. Good distortion is also a must. Im using a J5 squier tele btw which sounds great but I just need to be able to dial in that tone more. Can be tube or SS.

some amps suggested to me already by friends and GC employees
-vox valvetronix VT20+
-peavey vypyr
-Roland CUBE-40GX

also this will be used for bedroom and playing with friends nothing professional at all.
I'd vouch for the Vypyr. The 40W version is probably your best bet. The 12" speaker will sound nice and full with significantly more bass than the Spider. Plus 40W is not overbearing for bedroom play. They cost $200.

Your guitar is a pretty bright toned guitar. To darken up your tone, try rolling back the tone knob a touch.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
a used peavey vypyr tube 60 on gc online for $250-300
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ up for that - hella good amp for a hell of a little money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
thanks guys im definitely checking on that vypyr. To culliton, the john 5 tele has no tone knobs just two volume knobs.
Also look at the Line 6 Flextone series they run <$200 a lot. I actually saw a used Line 6 vetta 2x12 combo for $250 on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear just the other day. The vetta would be the modeler to get.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Also look at the Line 6 Flextone series they run <$200 a lot. I actually saw a used Line 6 vetta 2x12 combo for $250 on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear just the other day. The vetta would be the modeler to get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Line6-Flextone-III-2x12-Digital-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier-w-FBV-Shortboard-USED-/261729228423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf0471687

This one or the flextone II? actually found one for 250 on ebay.
Here is a Vetta I 2x12 combo for $289
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Vetta-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110420077-i3899512.gc

You can update the firmware on it to the latest Vetta II software for free at Line6.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ive been using a vypyr 30 for the past 6 years and I am quite happy with it. its the ideal amp for any beginner. sounds pretty good and I enjoy using the looper quite alot. the new Vypyrs come with bass and acoustic amp modelers built in which is awesome. you can grab a 40w version for like $200.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Meshugga used Vettas
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vypyr 60. They're cheap and awesome. Only drawback is no effects loop but that's not a big deal since the built in delay is pretty good. I recommend getting the Sanpera II pedal as well so you can use the looper and maximize preset ability. It also gives you the wah/expression pedal and volume pedal. Sweet little rig.

Here's a guy doing a Vicarious cover (I love Tool btw...check out Axe of Creation on YouTube) on a Vypyr 30. And I still say get the 60.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO_ASCYpBw
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Last edited by Deadpool_25 at Jan 19, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
Meshugga used Vettas

So did Trent Reznor during the Fragile era (if not more).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As much as I agree that a Vypyr Tube 60 or the Vetta would be a great amp used, I feel like those are getting in the range of being overkill for bedroom playing.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by nick.culliton
As much as I agree that a Vypyr Tube 60 or the Vetta would be a great amp used, I feel like those are getting in the range of being overkill for bedroom playing.

Vypyr is great for bedroom/home use. It sounds good at low volume and even has a headphone jack if desired.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
+3.1415 on the Vypyr tube.

the vettas i havn't had experience with, but what i do know is that the Peavey can be tweaked and patches are so simple to make. and i IIRC the vetta takes a little more messing around.

depends what you want to put in.

or buy a powered wedge and a POD HD 500 and be set.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dosamwolfso
Is the vetta a good metal amp?I get results for the newer vetta II when I google so cant find much info or videos of the freaking thing.

Yeah the Vetta is a good everything amp. The Vetta I and II are almost identical, but the Vetta II had some updated patches and a slightly different outside look.

Like I said the Vetta I can be updated to the Vetta II firmware for absolutely free.

It maybe overkill for some people but it is the best modeler you will get at your budget and it does sound good at low volumes. A big plus is it is a 100% gig able amp also, so if you get to that point you will have an amp that can be used with a band.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate