Hey, everybody. Ive been playing guitar for about 11 years and have come a long long way. But lately my playing has gone stale. I get stuck in the same chord patterns and always end up strumming the same way. Even when i try to change it i always end up back doing the same old thing. Its getting frustrated and im getting to the point where i dont even want to pick up the guitar. Anybody else ever experience this and/or does anyone have any advice for me?
Put down the guitar and step away. Go some place else and think about the sounds you want to make. Really think about it hard. Seriously. Think about the sounds you want to be making rather than just picking up a guitar and hoping something cool's going to happen. Then, once you know what sounds you want to be making, try and find those sounds on the guitar. It'll be a hard process but that's how you make satisfying music.

The problem, at the heart of it, is that you're allowing your hands to dictate what you're playing by not thinking about it enough. There are actually a whole load of ways to try and get around this but really, crucially, that's what the problem is. Every solution is just going to be a different way of getting around the issue that you're just letting yourself run over familiar patterns without thinking about it enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Learn a different style. I think that is better than a different genre, because you have to do what interests you most. For example, I took up slide guitar when I got stuck in a rut about 20 years ago, and I'm also working intermittently on uke, lap steel and emulating flatpicking techniques, among other things. - But pretty much the same kinds of music as I started out with.
Hello All,

I few years a go I had the exact same problem! Finally, the problem was fixed by adding a variety of different element. For example you can change the phrasing, the rhythm, etc. You can also force yourselft to play a solo with only one technique like pull off or tapping or sweep picking etc. and it's quite challenging to make it sound good with only one.

The point that helped me a lot was to take a break from guitar and then change the rhythm of the solos. By changing the rhythm of a solo you a changing the entire feeling of it.

I hope it might help a bit!
Change your guitar playing habit!

That is all.

Ad the above to all the other advice given in this thread.

Your skills are nothing but a habit and if its not good to you well time to change by getting into the desired one and stick with it!

Only that will make a 100% clear solution to the problem stated on this thread.
Thanks, everyone. I hope this doesnt sound stupid but what is the best to go about learning a different style? By this do you mean learn songs from all kinds of different genres?
As I suggested I think it is easier to learn using tunes that you enjoy playing, so I would say stick with the genre(s) you like, but look for different performers and playing techniques within that genre. - Eg lead, rhythm, slide, fingerpicking, etc. I make a lot of use of Youtube for getting new ideas - I sometimes listen to a dozen different versions of the same song to get new ideas.
Quote by Black_devils
Learn a different style this will change your approach drastically.

This^
I'm doing this myself now.You need to try and put your old habbits aside and not revert back whilst you learn a different style.Try Funk or Jazz or anything that catches your ear and is different to how you play now.
Quote by smittyrugner
Hey, everybody. Ive been playing guitar for about 11 years and have come a long long way. But lately my playing has gone stale. I get stuck in the same chord patterns and always end up strumming the same way. Even when i try to change it i always end up back doing the same old thing. Its getting frustrated and im getting to the point where i dont even want to pick up the guitar. Anybody else ever experience this and/or does anyone have any advice for me?

Try studying, really studying, rhythm. That's what breathes life into music ... that's where there's infinite variation. Learn to play in different time signatures, and different subdivisions.
Experimenty with where you accent a beat or a subdivision, or where you play nothing (and for how long you're silent, or simply "muted" ... creating a rhythmic impact sound on the guitar, without a pitch actually coming out (release the pressure on a chord shape until this happens, or just vaguely barre the strings you're hitting).

cheers, Jerry
It's important, I think, to differentiate between 'playing' and 'practice'. If you're going to practise then it really ought to be focussed, purposeful practice in which you are striving to achieve something specific. For this you need to know where you want to be and some of the steps to get you there.

Hopefully you can have a think about this yourself but getting yourself a good teacher might also be worth considering. Even many world-class players take tuition from other musicians so none of us should ever feel that we are too good for lessons!