Pretty simple thread, just wanted to know if anyone has played one or listened to one in person? Im reconsidering my first guitar after the first one wasnt giving me a heavy enough tone to play mastadon and tool. Would this guitar and the emgs is has give me those heavier tones you would need to play these songs?

Ill either get a vetta I 2X12 if i can find used for a good price or a vypyr tube 60
Last edited by dosamwolfso at Jan 20, 2015,
What's your amp?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The Viper is designed as a guitar aimed at the metal genre and should do metal as good as any other guitar with similar features. A good choice if your inspirations are those two bands mentioned.

I've tried a Viper 1000, and I liked it. Very different from a Gibson SG, even though it is based on that and looks similar. The body is much thicker, and the guitar balances nicely because of the added weight. As for owning one, I wouldn't hesitate if I wanted something to play Black Sabbath on - I can't stand the original Gibson design.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I used to own a viper 400 (cosmetic and tuner differences to the 1000 I believe) and I still regret getting rid of it. I would recommend one for sure.
Get the Vypyr tube 60. The new guitar won't give you the heavier sound. The amp will.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
Get the Vypyr tube 60. The new guitar won't give you the heavier sound. The amp will.

The guitar that I have right now is the john 5 squier tele. It can play metal but I feel the humbuckers are just a tad to bright to get the heavier tone for tool riffs. The viper 1000 has a set of emgs while the squier has 2 custom buckers one with alnico 5 and ceramic magnets. You think I should try to get the heavier tone off another amp first?or, will the pickups make a more drastic change since the pickups between the two are quite different?
I am not a huge fan of the John 5 Squier tele, but I definitely agree that you will get the greatest step toward the heavy tone you are after with a new high quality high gain amp.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Quote by DuffB
I am not a huge fan of the John 5 Squier tele, but I definitely agree that you will get the greatest step toward the heavy tone you are after with a new high quality high gain amp.

So votes for the vypyr tube?
Not that im offended or anything but just curious as to why you no like Im using a line 6 spider IV, will the vypyr tube 60 give me that much of a heavier tone? I know the price of the tube is an expensive amp and ive never owned one that pricey so i dont know if the difference between them is super massive. Probably a dum question but hey ,someones gotta ask them.Oh and i noticed you are from PA duff, so am I (east stroudsburg).
Last edited by dosamwolfso at Jan 20, 2015,