just a general inquiry. most people seem to use a boost with everything. i definitely agree that some amps certainly do and some not.

just curious to hear your opinions.

doesn't need boost; splawn promod and splawn nitro. occasionally i don't on the tremoverb.

any other big boy here gets boosted.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Dark Terror, for me mines perfectly fine without one with a V30.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
5150 III Red channel is awesome without a boost. Blue is sexy with one. I occasionally turn the pedal on and off depending on my mood. I usually get just enough bite without a boost if I really dig in with my pick.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Rectoverb modern mode no boost needed.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
ENGL Powerball.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
My bugera 333 (or peavey xxx). The lead channels fizzy sound pronounces the pick attack enough. Plus you dont need a gain boost, 11-12 a clock is already insanity and too much for anything. But i still use a boost out of habbit and i like the sound more with one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Peavey XXX on the crunch channel with EMGs playing Maiden or classic Metallica, no boost. Same setup playing Machine Head or Trivium, boost engaged.

To me, it is a choice in music that dictates if I use the boost or not. It creates a different sound.

My boost is a TS9 with the gain turned all the way down. YMMV.
Quote by MaaZeus
My bugera 333 (or peavey xxx). The lead channels fizzy sound pronounces the pick attack enough. Plus you dont need a gain boost, 11-12 a clock is already insanity and too much for anything. But i still use a boost out of habbit and i like the sound more with one.

You have a Bugera? How does it handle djent and all that stuff?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
You have a Bugera? How does it handle djent and all that stuff?

Yeah, musicstore.de blew out their old non-infinium models for very cheap during the christmas season so i got one and it sounds great. But i dont do djent, im oldschool thrash and death metal head and for that this amp (and peavey xxx its based on) rocks for that stuff.

But i would guess it does that genre just fine with dampening switch set to medium (tight is overkill and neuters the sound). I always have it on loose.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 20, 2015,
Quote by MaaZeus
Yeah, musicstore.de blew out their old non-infinium models for very cheap during the christmas season so i got one and it sounds great. But i dont do djent, im oldschool thrash and death metal head and for that this amp (and peavey xxx its based on) rocks for that stuff.

But i would guess it does that genre just fine with dampening switch set to medium (tight is overkill and neuters the sound). I always have it on loose.

How is the quality of it? Or was it just the first Bugeras that have had problems?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
^ as good as any 333 - not tight enough.
Quote by Eppicurt
ENGL Powerball.
Ditto.
And the powerball II.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Fryderyczek
How is the quality of it? Or was it just the first Bugeras that have had problems?

Honestly, quite crappy. Box is plastic and i fear i will snap one of the knobs. I wonder if they are even secured to the casing. And tube sockets look bad, really bad. I wonder if they will last or if the plastic starts to crumble at some point.

About reliability that remains to be seen. Some people swear it has improved but this is one of the older ones.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I don't use a boost with my JCA50 on the OD channel. I run it with V30s so that kind of helps with the tightness too. I use an OD all the time with the crunch channel or with my 1980.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
any decent high gain amp really. I don't have to use a boost but do anyway for better control over the sound and tone. my Peavey Ultra on the Ultra channel has tons of gain and the active eq is very versatile. I just prefer to use my overdrive anyways and cut back on the amp gain. I usually use my Crunch and Ultra channels for heavy rhythm tones and kick the overdrive on for leads thus giving me more options.
So many guys boost the 6505+ but since I've started using it a few months ago I've never had the urge to. Preamp gain at about 6-7 usually does it for me. Then again, my Sonic Stomp adds a little bit of volume in the loop so I guess that may be where some boost comes from but it doesn't affect my clean channel which is good. I still have an OD on my board for when I want to plug in my JCM2000. Either the Fulldrive 2 or most recently the Soul Food sound good in front of it.
Quote by JBailey23
So many guys boost the 6505+ but since I've started using it a few months ago I've never had the urge to. Preamp gain at about 6-7 usually does it for me. Then again, my Sonic Stomp adds a little bit of volume in the loop so I guess that may be where some boost comes from but it doesn't affect my clean channel which is good. I still have an OD on my board for when I want to plug in my JCM2000. Either the Fulldrive 2 or most recently the Soul Food sound good in front of it.

damn that is a ton of gain.

when i had mine i don't think it got past 4 maybe 5 rarely but i boosted it. IMO the peavey 6505 need a boost.

as far as the rec, it just kills with nothing pushing. on my tremoverb on the vintage hi gain channel sounds beautiful alone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm using it for more hard rock than a tight metal tone so having it a little bit looser relying on amp gain alone works for me I guess. Plus the combo of the sonic stomp and decimator clean up all the edges.
I find that my Mark V is good enough on its own for just about anything. However I do use a Digitech Bad Monkey with it as a boost, and with some sligt EQ changes to give it a bit more bass when playing palm muted rhythm parts.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I boost pretty much everything (at least my high gainers, I tend to use standalone dirt pedals for my lower gain amps). At low volumes I think it sounds better, plus I have more sounds at my feet. But I think, if I had to, my engl and jet city could do without if I just raised the gain a bit (since I lower it to accomodate the boost).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Diezel Lil Fokker I played, the Herbert, channel 3 of the 5150 III 50 watt (as mentioned), JVM, I think the 6505+ doesn't really need it on the lead channel unless you are going for the metalcore tone, I would like to say the Mark V I played but I honestly didn't get enough time with it to say definitively, it was very tight though.

I like my Nineteen80 without a boost too but I doubt many people would call it a metal sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I have been using my DSL with no boost lately and I could totally live without one and be happy.

My old JSX, Uberschall and my 1980Jr can all do most things well without a boost.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate